meditation books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

meditation books

i`m currently reading, "whereever you go, there you are", and wondered what others #1, think about meditation, and#2, what recomendations anyone has on other books about meditation.

dave
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

I try to meditate often but I rarely succeed. I'm easily distracted. I do believe that it's a wonderful treatment for dealing with stress and pain. It relaxes the body and relieves the mind.

I find that it's easiest for me to meditate when I'm around nature. The ocean, the woods, a field. Even just sitting under the one tree that you can find in the city.

There's a book that I found called "Your Aura and Your Chakras: a Users Manual" that I find great for helping with meditation. Even if you don't buy into auras and/or chakras it really is helpful for learning how to refocus when meditating and some practices that you can do.

If that doesn't help try one of those CDs of the ocean (preferably without the seagulls squawking) the rhythmic sound can help you focus your mind on envisioning waves and helping you relax.

Comment

Psalms is the best. =) I also like Reflecting Pond by Hazelden. Excellent material.

Comment

Meditation

Meditation for Dummies was extremely helpful to me. I believe that I have "grown" into the act of mediation over the years. I am at the point of 13 minutes a day now with a great little app on my smart phone. It has a timer that can be set as well as words to focus on as well as a reminder. I feel that a committment to self is first and foremost what is needed before any kind of meditation program reaps any kind of benefit. Even if one can only committ to a minute a day, it is a start and totally worth it. I am thankful to every one who has helped me on this path of discovery.
        "Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it." ~~Rumi

Comment

I really like the idea of using Psalms, Caterina! My wife once completed the Ignatian Exercises that included meditation on verses, and it left a powerful impression on her.

The audiobook of Creative Visualization by Shakti Gawain was helpful and interesting to this beginner.

Not a meditation book per se, NBA coach Phil Jackson's inspirational memoir Sacred Hoops vividly illustrates the impact that meditation made on Jackson, and he also names the books that introduced and fostered this lifelong pursuit.

Comment

meditation?

coral 63, I've never done meditation though it seems

worth a try.

How do I get started?
            hugs, angel
            livelover

Comment

Jon Kabat Zinn's "Full catastrophe living" is a great way to start and his tapes are simple and effective without any mysticism, whatsoever. He describes mindfullness so simply, you don't even realize he's talking about it.

Comment

Working...
              X