No announcement yet.

Let's have some fun; stupid thing someone has said about dealing with MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My best would have to be my ex-wife. I would be at work (was doing 6 days a week) and would get text messages about once a month from her saying, "don't call work, I've told them you're having problems with your MS and I've had to stay home to look after you." Gotta love it when your MS flares up and you don't even know it.

Most of the time, it is my limp that people comment on. "What did you do to your leg?"
    "Nothing, just fried another nerve"

Comment

A former coworker used to describe herself as a "survivor" of MS. I never understood that - it's not like it goes away.

From the neuro-ophth before official dx: "The blurry vision is just a mental issue, and now that you know that, it will go away." (Of course it didn't.)

From parents: You need to just get things done, you can rest at night. (If only...)

I hate having to ask coworkers to turn off the spaceheaters - they can put on a sweater; I can only take off so much. But it still comes down to them saying I must be "sick" (as in the flu) or something to have such an issue with the heat. I still maintain they are all cold-blooded (not just because of the heaters, either.)

I don't have walking problems unless I get overheated, but a primary doctor I saw when looking for a new one, said that if I didn't have walking problems "all the time" that my MS wasn't anything to worry about and "shouldn't have any effect" on my daily life. HAHAHA. That would be FAB-ulous, if only.

OTOH, my neurologist is a rock star. Never belittles any of my symptoms, questions, etc. He is so dry, and things are usually summed up "it sucks but there it is". And that's usually all I want to hear. I don't need more pity - enough people provide that and I can't stand it - and I like to be straightfoward, to the point about my MS.

Comment

Stupid things said

Sometimes a relative of mine calls me from work and asks what I'm doing. Often I'm reading or something relaxing (because I'm not getting around very well or have back pain that day). He tells me that he's a little jealous. I feel like saying I'll trade him places but he has to take my MS, too. I think some people don't get that we would gladly be still working if we were able to.

Comment

"Multiple Sclerosis sucks... but zombies don't want to eat our brains"

That is the one that I came up with awhile back.

Comment

Neurologist said the most stupid thing to me.

The neurologist that diagnosed me actually said the most stupid thing to me. He told me that MS wasn't a bad disease to get because persons with it don't experience much pain. Really!!!! He's still practicing, believe it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by S.A.Foxx View Post
              Most of the time, it is my limp that people comment on. "What did you do to your leg?"
              "Nothing, just fried another nerve"
              Omg, I'm laughing so hard I think I wet myself! I am soooooooooooo going to steal that line, I love it!
              MS, it's a brain thang!
              Proud to have served, U.S Army WAC

Comment

the thing that gets on my nerves the most is that someone i know keeps telling me that my paralysis will go away if i just do therapy, hmmm, do they have therapy for a fried nerve. it they do, please let me know.

Comment

This is great!

Mine would be when I had to tell a co-worker of mine.

He said - did you get that when you were pregnant? (really?? - I didn't even bother educating him, I was so annoyed!)
                  Dx - February 2011
                  Copaxone and now Avonex
                  Amantadine for fatigue

Comment

a new answer for the question

Have you been officially diagnosed as human - can I see your papers?

Comment

Most memorable responses from others...

Prior to my dx: What makes you think you have MS?

My official dx: You have MS. Here is a rx for pain meds and I will see you in 6 mos.

Ten years later: Are you sure you have MS? I'll bet you've never had the "hot tub test"!

Here is why this is even more frustrating than just reading those words -

Comment #1 was made by a doctor.

Comment #2 (obviously made by a doctor) was given without any additional information about MS or what to expect, etc. There was no further discussion at all actually.

And comment #3 was made by a Physical Therapist... who still might routinely give a "hot tub test" to daignose a person who says they have MS. (I think he wishes he was a doctor)

Comment

Originally posted by sulphur kennel View Post
                        When someone asks about one of my symptoms and then says I get that feeling too, I want to just scream. I now answer with "I can't explain it and I don't think you could really understand if I try to explain."
                        I wanna junk punch people who say that. Or just simply ask them: "Why are you trying to top someone who has an incurable autoimmune disease?....douche!" As soon as I say well I have this intense headache that feels like someone is squeezing my brain I get.....Yeah my head has been hurting too. No it hasn't, not like this

Comment

" geez I know people who live in nursing homes and cant function at all with ms, I hope youre doing something about it !"
                          .....What? Yeah thanks for the possitive energy and of course its my fault Im just to lazy and poor to fix it!

And: " you just need to get out more, youre in the house too much" followed by " you need to go to bed earlier".

Id just told a nosey neighbor I had been newly dxd ( I dont tell folks like this anymore duh)...she said:

" Oh my..the lord has been so good to me" Im thinking yeah well thank him on your own, dont make me feel like I didnt do something right and got ms!

Comment

Originally posted by tommylee View Post
                            STOP STAGGERING! (and it is said in a complaining tone)
                            STOP DRAGGING YOU FEET!

....... Gee I'd love to stop staggering and dragging my feet!... But if I had that kind of strength and control; I would be too busy shoving my foot up your @**!
                            Love it!!!! Of course Im too nice to say it to anyone but its a great fantasy!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sloth View Post
                              Love it!!!! Of course Im too nice to say it to anyone but its a great fantasy!!!
                              By the way me being "to nice" was a slant at myself not you Sometimes it would just feel so good to say what my mind wants me too LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by deescee View Post
                                The neurologist that diagnosed me actually said the most stupid thing to me. He told me that MS wasn't a bad disease to get because persons with it don't experience much pain. Really!!!! He's still practicing, believe it or not.
                                Omigosh! Are you seeing my neuro??

He said the same stupid thing to me. I wanted to kick him in the shins and say, "Oh! Don't be such a baby! A kick in the shins isn't painful!"

Comment

Working...
                                X