No announcement yet.

Let's have some fun; stupid thing someone has said about dealing with MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My mom told me she didn't think I was bad enough yet to need a shower seat. Then she said people fall in the shower all the time so it is no big deal. Wow I never knew my mom could know how bad I am over the phone.

Comment

Not MS related, but equally funny...

My coworker said the other day: ''I saw on TV that there's this professor that can take your DNA and tell you what diseases you're going to die from and when...my grandparents had cancer, is that what I'm going to die from?"

Me: "No. You're going to get hit by a car."

Like are you kidding me?! When could DNA tell the future?!
      Dx RRMS 2008/Kesimpta Feb 2023
      UNbalanced Dog Trainer - Accredited pet dog training instructor

Comment

Originally posted by Nanobaby View Post
        ...my grandparents had cancer, is that what I'm going to die from?"

Me: "No. You're going to get hit by a car."
        Love that line! I've got to use that in a story or something. May I? You are hilarious.

The first few years after my diagnosis, people would eye me suspiciously in my scooter and say, "You don't look like you belong in that."

I would wink as I drove away. "I only use it to get the good parking space."

I learned years later that the only thing worse than hearing that stupid comment, is when you stop hearing it.

Comment

Feel free to

Those aren't even the best of her lines.

One day she said to me: "I used to live in Waterloo, Ontario for school"

Uninterested me: "Uh-huh" (I lived in the next town over for a short time, so I figured she wouldn't really have anything interesting to say)

Coworker: "Did you know that some people that live that are SO POOR that they can't afford cars, so they have to travel by horse and buggy?"

Me: (are you kidding me face): "...Those are Mennonites."

Coworker: "Yeah, that's what they're called! They also can't afford electricity, isn't that sad?"

Me: (speechless. Turn back to work)

Comment

Also, after finding out that I have MS and take Avonex:

"One of my friends also has to take a weekly shot, but I know she doesn't have MS. Is what she has like what you have?"

Me in my head: How on EARTH would I know what your friend has, based on the fact that she has to take a weekly injection?! How would I even know if whatever that person has is similar or different from MS when I don't even know what it is?!

EVERY DAY it's like this...

Comment

I had a wheelchair attendant at an airport inquire on what was wrong with me when she saw my AFO brace, when I told her I had MS, she said I should look it up on the internet because there is a cure! I said, no there is no cure, she insisted that people in India had a cure...uh huh, sure, thanks for nothing. LOL
              Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
              Ampyra 10mg 2xday
              Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

jbell2435: you gotta love people like that...they give completely unsolicited advice without verifying what it is that they're believing to be a "cure" for MS.

If we do/say anything stupid we have an excuse, what's theirs?!

Comment

You are right nano! Now a guy that plays tennis with my husband and reads a lot of medical stuff (he is a pharm tech and his wife a dr) tells my dh that I need to stay away from Diet Coke or anything with Aspartame...that the stuff can trigger MS or MS symptoms. Gee, I wish it were that easy, I would gladly give up Diet Coke for a cure, where do I sign up??

The funny thing is when I started having all my problems back in 2009 I had stopped drinking the stuff for a year when I started presenting sx of the weak leg and foot drop.

It's a wonder that these people are not millionaires with all the valuable knowledge they have! Maybe that is a reply to them "what did you do with all the money you made", their reply "what money", response "the money you made coming up with a cure for MS"...
                  Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
                  Ampyra 10mg 2xday
                  Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

I was going over to a friend's house for the first time to work on a school project. i had just had a roids treatment that day.

now the roids make me very pale. (my friend lives with her grandparents) after I left her grandma asked her if I was on drugs.
                    Learn from yesterday
                    Live for today
                    Hope for tomorrow

Comment

When I mentioned I was having problems with my memory/in a cog-fog...I was told I need to try harder to think/remember things. Thanks stupid.
                      🌞Always radiate sunshine🌞

Comment

MS or MPD?

One of my friend's mothers; God bless her, said, "Is that a common symptom of multiple personality disorder?" When she overheard us talking about fatigue. Yup, like I need another label! Haha!
                        "There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a woman"

Comment

how are you felling ???

Originally posted by DianeD View Post
                          I find this subject so helpful to me. To know that so many of you have gone through much of what I have and amazingly heard the same things.

Maybe that's why I come to MS World. We are the ones who know what this is like to 'live'.

I hate when I pick up on a person who I just feel perceives me as a whiner because i am forthright about my MS.

If ever I needed to learn that some people say 'how are you' as a greeting, not to really know, it is when I get that feeling they think I'm not really sick because someone they read about or know of is doing 'so well'.

Well, 'kiss my grits'!

Also, my pet peeve is the 'fixer's' as someone refered to them as...

They say 'use vitamin A,B,C,D etc. or enemas to remove parasites, a dentist who will remove all your silver fillings, algae, accupuncture, positive thinking, and the list goes on endlessly.

I have a brother whom I love, but who always tells me about a doctor 'he knows' who cures MS. Yeah, right.

I've gotten to a point where I just don't want to talk to him because he will ask me how i am. I have learned to lie. It's better than hearing what I know will be coming my way.

I am sure his concern is genuine. However, we all know, if there was a 'cure' we'd know about it!!!

Oh well, I am glad this was posted. Lets me get some stuff off my mind. '-)
                          Well my brother sometimes ask's me how are you felling. I tell him i'm ok exscept the last time he said it and i told him, well if you want the truth i'm miserable, he look at me like i had two heads. go figure

Comment

Really?

It's mind over matter
                            You can wish you're self well
                            Try this diet, it works!
                            Suck it up and move on
                            You can't be that tired
                            You look the same as you did yesterday and you were fine then!
                            My hands go numb, too
                            I stumble a lot, too, you're just not coordinated
                            Stop acting like you can't do it, even my child can do that!
                            You can't be sick, people look bad when they're sick
                            Why are you still in bed
                            Get outside and do something, it's not that hot (or cold)
                            You act like you have to take that shot, it's not like you have diabetes

Comment

"i ro

"you are not fighting it" whats there to fight? I live with it.
                              "its not like it will ever go away" how supportive of you!
                              "accept that you have it and just get over it" oh thats so easy!
                              "you think about it all the time. You need to forger it." really, i wish i could!
                              "you are just too negative" said to me when I had a bad day
                              "you dont want to work out" - thats when I said, it so hard for me to just function, to just go through my day.

Comment

Oh, i got more

They are all fron my sister as the ones I posted before.
                                "it could be worse." hmmm thanks, thats nice! and "move on, don't dwell on your symptoms" I don't but i think feeling cold and loss of sensation for 3 months, fatigue is a little bothersome and what about not being able to see out of 1 eye? Yeah, thats just little things!
                                and "i know how u feel , i get tired too" sure!
                                And "I don't ask how you feel because I don't want to remind of it." yeah, I wish I could forget it. all of this was said in rude tone when I had a really really rough day and needed her support.

It is useless to explain anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X