Let's have some fun; stupid thing someone has said about dealing with MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had my first one.
    My wifes aunt, who we have no contact with, called for a recipe from my wife.
    She asked how I was(no idea how she knew), and I just gave the usual "ok".
    She said "well, you sound good". I told her it wasn't a cold, and how I sound doesn't mean anything.
    I have no patience with people like that.

Comment

We had company come over for a short visit. Friends brought a friend who we hadn't met yet. So, this friend of friend saw my cane and asked why for....I told her MS. She said, "Oh yea, I know all about MS...I have fibromyalgia and it's exactly the same as MS!"

I had to stop her in her tracks right then and there and I kindly gave a brief explanation. I could tell by her reaction she didn't like what I had to say.

When they left, she didn't say a thing to me. Guess I popped her bubble.
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolemarie1313 View Post
        My response really should I curl up and die on the couch because I feel like crap I should look the part too!
        Nice one!
        I may be messed up but that does not mean I should not take care of myself. Where would that take me?

Comment

Originally posted by seeuinct View Post
          Yep....I was told 'You should drink carrot juice because I have a cousin who's dr. told her that if she drinks enough carrot juice the MS will disappear.'
          Apparently this 'cousin's' skin is literally orange.
          Would I rather be orange or have MS? hmmmm....

LOL LOL LOL!!!!

Did you laugh out loud when you were told this?

That is one of the funniest things I have ever heard.

Comment

I'm sorry. I know that I'm a bit late on this one, but I had to throw this one in there. Someone...I don't recall whom, suggested before I'd been diagnosed (this was while I still had diminished sensation from my chest down, and a neurologist had found a lesion on my c-spinal cord) that the paresthesia was due to "stress". Yah...okay.

Comment

I didn't think they used that for MS

I had a really bad episode last January. The IV steroids didn't work. The doctor debated using some kind of chemo drug. When I told my relatives about this, they were all shocked and each of them exclaimed, "I've never heard of chemo therapy treatments for MS." I was polite, but I wanted to scream, "Are you neurologist? How would you know?"

Comment

My own MD said you could die of something else first. I got almost giggly with happiness at the thought.
                My own sister said someone looked it up on the internet and she was relieved that it wasn't that bad afterall.
                Bless you all.

Comment

Best come back ever!

I was playing an online shoot em up game. One player got mad at me for kicking her butt. She said "what's wrong with you! You have brain damage?"

I said as a matter affect I do!

Comment

Originally posted by twisterred View Post
                    Me too....
                    I had a preacher tell me that because of sin I had this disease. WTF????
                    If sin was the reason for MS, EVERYONE would have MS.

Can I get an Amen?
                    I would wait till he bent over and than show him the depth of sin I can commit with my cane!

Comment

I have 2 that come to mind....

I had a General Care doc walk into the exam room with my chart, say hi and tell me that I do not look like someone that has MS. I told him I was sorry I did not ware my see-through skull and smiled at him. I think I was there for a cold or something small like that, got my cold meds and left never to return!

About 6 months ago I was at my friends restaurant and we saw a mutual friend at the bar. I was using my crutches and apparently she has never seen me use them. She asked me if I really needed them or if I was just looking for attention. I asked her if she was serious and she said yes because I looked fine the month before. I was so taken back that I did not have a response (and I'm normally quick to the drew with responses =)

I figured this would be an appropriate first post!

Comment

jbuckz - Welcome to the boards ! It's a great place to be.

Just wanted to say I'm sorry that you were hurt by what your friend said. Keep in mind, however, that the majority of people know next to nothing about MS, or how unpredictable it can be (still no excuse for asking if you just wanted attention!).

I knew nothing about MS the day I was diagnosed. I never knew that it was so unpredictable (literally could change from one minute to the next), or could cause so many different types of problems.

Comment

More than one friend said "Gee, wish I could get handicapped parking plates!"

uh, yeah - I just love preferential parking for no reason...

A college friend I hadn't seen in a while called me to catch up as she heard I had some medical problems that were bad. Conversation-

her: So how are you doing, I heard you were in the hospital again?

me: Yes, I have MS.

her: Really? I didn't know you got divorced too. Doesn't it feel great?!

me: uh....
                          Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult...

Comment

hprinz99

I loved your post! I have laughed and laughed.

So, honestly, are you happier since you are divorced?

lydialou

Comment

Originally posted by lydialou View Post
                              hprinz99

I loved your post! I have laughed and laughed.

So, honestly, are you happier since you are divorced?

lydialou
                              Don't know about jprinz99 but MY ex-wife is happier!

Comment

Originally posted by cosake View Post
                                jbuckz - Welcome to the boards ! It's a great place to be.

Just wanted to say I'm sorry that you were hurt by what your friend said. Keep in mind, however, that the majority of people know next to nothing about MS, or how unpredictable it can be (still no excuse for asking if you just wanted attention!).

I knew nothing about MS the day I was diagnosed. I never knew that it was so unpredictable (literally could change from one minute to the next), or could cause so many different types of problems.
                                Thanks for the reply! I know she does not understand MS and that she very often says thing before thinking about them.

I moved to Las Vegas 8 years ago from Nashua, NH! All of my family lives on the east coast, but i love the warm/dry weather and lack of snow I have never had any issues with heat, even after 11 years with MS!

Comment

Working...
                                X