No announcement yet.

Let's have some fun; stupid thing someone has said about dealing with MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been meaning to post this for a while. I think it proves how truly ignorant some people are about MS.

When i first told my boss about my dx his reply was "oh, i've never heard of that. Must not be very important". He also promptly walked away and acted as though i had the plague for about 2 weeks. (can't say i minded too much lol )

Later on i was talking with my future MIL, who i just happen to work with, about how my muscles were so tense and this heat was making it worse. (this is when we had the 2 weeks of almost 100 weather) I didn't realize he had come into the room and he proceeded to interrupt me and tell me that the heat should make my muscles feel better, it always makes him feel better. I of course explained that the heat makes things worse, not better and his response was that didn't make sense. Of course this is the same person that didn't realize that there are nerves sending messages to and from our brain constantly.

This kind of stupidity just boggles my mind.

Comment

I am in that "probably MS" limbo phase right now, and I have been hesitant to tell anyone. Finally I worked up the nerve to tell a close friend, and she responded dismissively:

"Oh, they just think you have MS? I thought you were going to say it was something bad."

Yup, don't think I'm going to tell anyone else about this now.

Comment

Originally posted by kpdarnell View Post
        Probably the dumbest thing was when an intern told me it was okay to cry. I asked him why in the world I should cry? He said most people in my condition cried at first. I told him that my problem had a name and if it has a name it has a treatment (mostly) and there were people in far worse shape than me. This intern told me I had the strangest attitude he had ever seen.
        I completely understand what you mean. I will be relieved when I can put a name and meaning to the chaos my body has going through. I will also be relieved when I can say, "It's MS", not "Well, for some reason I start sweating profusely and lose use of my leg and hand when the A/C isn't on". You at least have the possiblity of people not thinking you're nuts....it's no guarantee though.

I am truly, truly amazed that so much of the human population believes that if it personally hasn't affected them somehow, it doesn't really exist. The egocentrism is mind-boggling.

Comment

My first and only sx so far (and the reason leading to diagnosis) is mild ON. My dh's aunt get's right up in my face and looks at my eye and says "well your eye looks fine to me" WTF people!

Comment

I had a guy say to me "oh, that's a womans's disease."

I'm clearly a man. thanks for the info, buddy.

Comment

I know this is a very old post but I had to jump on it, because the first NEUROLOGIST I saw said the dumbest thing...she pulled me into the other room away from my mom (who also has MS) and after doing the physical exam, said "Look at your mom and look at you. I don't think you have MS." WRONG! And where did you get your medical degree...because you need to get a refund.

Comment

Originally posted by brandonwall View Post
                I have a shirt that says MS Sucks i wear to walk and such,
                one person at wal-mart asked me why I hated Microsoft so much.
                LOL!!!!!
                Thank you So MUCH for the laugh!
                This is great!!

Comment

According to one of my students, MS is something that "all science teachers have."
                  Dx 12/01
                  Betaseron, Copaxine, and Rebif
                  Started Gilenya 8/3/11

Comment

One more I remembered.
                    "MS. Thats the thing Jerry Lewis does the telethon for!"

Comment

Not the content

Originally posted by Nebbykoo View Post
                      I had a guy say to me "oh, that's a womans's disease."

I'm clearly a man. thanks for the info, buddy.
                      Thanks Nebbykoo--I'm still laughing, so those endorphins are helping reduce the pain.
                      Please understand that what I am laughing about is not the content--I'm laughing at your presention! I'll bet you're a lot of fun to be around! Keep on Posting
                      Shalom,
                      Suzanne
                      You never fail, until you stop trying__Albert Einstein

Comment

This is a common one on this thread that I have heard at least 3 times in the last 2 weeks (I am recently diagnosed):

"MS? Like Jerry's kids?"

It actually makes me laugh now.
                        dxd RRMS 7/2011 - Rebif 8/2011 - Tecfidera 7/2013

Comment

I had my 2nd attack and subsequent diagnosis and was supposed to report to an Army school (Senior Leaders Course) for the next 3 months.

My 1SG asked me 'Can't you just suck it up & drive on for the next 3 months'.

Mind you, my entire left side of my body was pins and needles to where I was walking funny, can't imagine running or road-marching!!!

Comment

i've never been to here, such funny stuff. thanks for the laugh.......

i've only had.......

oh MS, that's all most ppl live their whole lives with no symptoms. this was a long time friend

my husband: yes we all just love him.....

MS, please I have MS each night when i get home from working all day and night ihave such fatigue it's the same exact thing.

can anyone say jerk?
                            Jen Dx'd 5/11
                            "Live each day as if it were your last"

Comment

What people say

When people saw me pushing my walker they often thought I broke my hip, one man even told me he was done with his walker after two months and he knows how awful it is to use.

I replied that I will be using this a long time since I have ms. And I love my walker. Others told me I am doing better than their friend or sibling since they died! What a calming message to hear.

But now I have a beautiful friendly service dog. Strangers would rather know about him than me.
                              Coral12

Comment

My sister, lovely woman that she is, struck again. She means well, really, but doesn't realize how she sounds to someone who actually has MS.

She evidently has two church friends who have MS. One was recently hospitalized for what I can only guess was a flare for 5 days - sis said she was in the hospital for treatment, and it was rough on her. As I couldn't find any info on a treatment in this country that requires a five day hospitalization, again, I'm assuming this was a bad flare. Sis said after her hospitalization she's feeling much better....this is a woman that has two toddlers and is a school teacher and she's "just fine", now. She has energy (I'm guessing from steriods?) and keep up with her kids....I didn't say anything to that because at the time I was trying to find what this miracle treatment could be.

Second friend she has that has MS doesn't take any medications and is JUST FINE, and she credits that with God's healing. I'm not religious, and haven't been since I was a teenager, and sis knows that. I tried explaining to sis that yes, some people can do that. Each case of MS is different. I've had a bad month. Period. And in the heat of August and July, I couldn't go out in it. I expect to be better now that the temperature has dropped and my muscle spasms are calming down. I explained that I'm on a "new med" (new for me) that is twice as effective at slowing progression.

She then tells me that online support groups (both MSWorld and my MS mailing list aren't "real support". I just nodded and in my head was telling her that if I came to her with issues and questions I take to my "not real" support, would she have an answer for me?

She tells me you need to try some alternative therapy - I explain to her that alternative therapy only treats the symptoms of my MS, not the cause, and certainly can't prevent progression of the disease, that I need to be doing something that slows the progression of the disease.

I love my sister, she's just in the dark and chooses to remain so.
                                Diagnosis: May, 2008
                                Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

Working...
                                X