The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

I just finished this book by Rebecca Skloot. Truly fascinating book, by a science writer. She writes "creative nonfiction," and this is a very well-researched and readable account of the worldwide use of one woman's cells for scientific research, without her knowledge or the knowledge of her family. I recommend this one.

I was fascinated by this book! To think of all the research that has been done over the years using this African American cells is mindboggling. And to think of how much $$ was made by researchers and companies while some of the descendants of Henrietta today can't even get health care coverage!!! Seems so unfair!!

I liked the fact that is was very readable and gave us glimpses into the lives of the characters as well. It was entirely all technical and scientific which appealed to me.
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post

I liked the fact that is was very readable and gave us glimpses into the lives of the characters as well. It was entirely all technical and scientific which appealed to me.
      I meant to say it was NOT entirely all technical and scientific!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I am excited to read this as well but our book group is waiting for it to come out in paperback. . . I'm thinking March. But I'll be interested to hear what others think.

Comment

Working...
        X