good read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good read

am searching for my next read, any recommendation?
    Angel
    livelover

Me too! I'm desperately looking for a book I can actually finish, which has been an issue for me lately - especially after going off adderall. I got through "Too big to fail" thanks to my self-righteous anger. It's still timely - maybe more so as those banks are only bigger.

I asked a friend to send me a book and he sent "Infinite Jest" by David Foster Wallace. I put it in my bucket list. I do like DFW - but I find his writing sometimes overwhelming. But he's worth investigating. I like his non-fiction essays. Essays are nice.

Speaking of brevity, Eric Jarosinski's twitter alter-ego "Nein". When I understand him/his references I'm really laughing. I found some interviews on youtube he's a wonderful person! and has good things to say. Love him.

What are you all reading? Anything inspiring, thought-provoking (scandalous/controversial works too), good for the soul, and of reasonable length? Not all required cept reasonable length. :-)

Comment

g/r

Tthank you much
      livelover

Comment

tracy kidder

The books of Tracy Kidder have changed my life. He writes of Dr. Paul Farmer and his work in Haiti and Africa (Mountains beyond Mountains).

He also wrote Strength in What Remains, which was INCREDIBLE, about a young man who left Africa through war torn areas and worked to become a doctor here in America.

The books are so intense, I usually need fluffy romance novels afterwards to lighten my mind.

But the books let me know there are other situations outside this stupid disease I am dealing with, and those other situations are so incredibly life altering for others. Makes me try to see my life outside this wall kicking idiocy (my bad attitude).
        You are in the driver's seat, but God is holding the map

Comment

Originally posted by zilphia01 View Post
          The books of Tracy Kidder have changed my life. He writes of Dr. Paul Farmer and his work in Haiti and Africa (Mountains beyond Mountains).

He also wrote Strength in What Remains, which was INCREDIBLE, about a young man who left Africa through war torn areas and worked to become a doctor here in America.

The books are so intense, I usually need fluffy romance novels afterwards to lighten my mind.

But the books let me know there are other situations outside this stupid disease I am dealing with, and those other situations are so incredibly life altering for others. Makes me try to see my life outside this wall kicking idiocy (my bad attitude).
          I agree! I read Mountains beyond Mountains with my book group which lead to great discussions. Haven't read Strength in What Remains, but should. Another book that will be thought provoking is The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman. (An Australian lighthouse keeper and wife make life altering decisions when they rescue and adopt a baby from an abandoned washed up boat.)
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

[B][THank you all for the info, best to begn.
            livelover

Comment

I just finished Orange is the New Black. It kept me up until 1 am last night. It was a pretty good memoir about the author's time in a minimum security prison in Connecticut.

Comment

My favorites

A Land Remembered by Patrick D. Smith

The Ice Master by Jennifer Niven

The Lost City of Z by David Grann

A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryan
                Dx - Jan 2005
                1st Symptoms - Dec 2004
                Currently treatment - Tefidera (6/14) & LDN (4/09)
                Past treatments: Copaxone, Rebif, Avonex, Solumedrol IV, Prednisone

Comment

If you want a reall good horror book

Eating Dangerously by Michael Booth and Jennifer Brown
                  I know it is not a conventional horror story but scared the crap out of me
                  1995-symptoms with no cause
                  2000-diagnosed with Probable MS.
                  2000/1-started Avonex
                  2002-Rebif b/c increasing brain plaques
                  Nov-13-Tecfidera b/c needle fatigue&sympt

Comment

Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson (not Bryan)
                    Laughed so hard I shook the bed and cried.

Comment

good read

A Thousand Splendid Suns, ..
                      livelover

Comment

Just finished Maya's Notebook by Isabel Allende and liked it a lot.

Comment

Last month our book group read Me Before You by JoJo Meyers. A young successful man is left in a wheelchair after a horrible accident. Now a quadriplegic, he is struggling with living vs assisted suicide, even though a sweet young woman, his caregiver, tries ways to keep him involved with life.

This is a novel and it led to an amazing discussion!

Won't tell you what happens in the end.
                          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I love Paul Farmer! Met him once too

Originally posted by zilphia01 View Post

Dx RRMS 2008/Kesimpta Feb 2023
                            UNbalanced Dog Trainer - Accredited pet dog training instructor

Comment

Working...
                            X