No announcement yet.

e-readers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To share books, users must be on the same Amazon account. Some people set up a separate Amazon account for buying Kindle books, fund it with gift cards, and share it among a few friends or relatives. That way no one else has access to 1-click purchases on your credit card.

There is a way to "lend" books to someone not on your account, but the book has to be designated as "lending enabled". The book can be lent for a specified period of time, usually 14 days, and during that time the lender does not have access to it. Most books are not lending enabled right now, but the lending concept is fairly new.

Libraries do not lend books in Kindle format, but there are a couple of other formats that are readable on Kindle, they just require a little more work to get downloaded.

Kindleboards dot com has forums with specifics on this.

There are literally thousands of free books on Amazon for Kindle. Some are good, some aren't. The Kindle Bestseller list is divided into paid and free books, so you can see what's popular.

Download the free Kindle for PC (or for ipad or iphone, etc.) app from Amazon, download a couple of free books, and you can get a feel for what they're like.

I love my Kindle, it's so much easier to read, change font size, turn pages with a button click, and not have piles of books (evidence of a serious book habit).

Comment

I just bought myself a Nook Color for my birthday and I love it. The larger font size than regular print and the boldness of the print have really helped me to not have to strain my weary, ON plagued eyes. I have had so many episodes of ON that reading, my passion, was becoming too difficult. Now, I am back to the books, ebooks that is, and I am going to get rid of most of my regular books, donating to a charity, so that I don't have to have many, many boxes of books to move again. BTW, I purchased the ebook "Safe Haven" by Nicholas Sparks and am loving it so far.
      "...the joy of the Lord is your (my) strength." Nehemiah 8:10

Comment

I love my NookColor too!

Wanted to let you know incase B&N didnt tell you. Most public libraries lend ebooks! For some reason Kindle doesn't work with the libraries but the Nook does. You have to download the program called Overdrive. You download the library book to overdrive then overdrive talks to your Nook! It is great I love it.

Plus with my library the book returns itself so you never have to worry about late fees! Also if the book returns itself, as long as you dont hook your Nook up to your computer you still have the book on your Nook.

I just typed too many words ending in "ook." LOL!

CrazyCatLady
        MS Does Not Define Me.....My Love of Tea Does! LOL!

Comment

My kids got me a Kindle for Christmas. I am addicted.

I have only loaded free books so far and have so many on my Kindle now that it will be a looonnnggg time before I have read them all (even though I average about a book every two days).

There is a free program called Calibre that allows you to convert books to different formats. I haven't played with it too much but do use it to "fetch" news. There are hundreds of magazines and newspapers that you can get.

I have also started to use this when I have to speak in public since I can convert my text file to a Kindle file and enlarge the font as needed.

I have not used a nook but I think it will work with that as well.

Comment

I LOVE my NOOK! Love that I can enlarge font and don't have to turn pages. I am also linked to B & N and get regular discount offers and am always checking their freebies list for interesting books!
            Also, side note, Teri Garr's Biography is a hilarious must read! She has MS and tells her story with a fab sense of humor. You can download it for 9.99 to your Nook from B & N. I believe Amazon has it, too.

Comment

Dont forget B&N does Free Nook Book Fridays! You just have to go to there web site!! Not always the best books....but hey, they are free!!

CrazyCatLady
              MS Does Not Define Me.....My Love of Tea Does! LOL!

Comment

Kindle

I too love to read and recently got a Kindle. You can enlarge the print , thereis no glare and youcan use it in bright light. You can also use earphones and listen to the book if your eyes get tired or you can listen without ear phones , though the voice is a bit robotic, but it is an alternative to tired eyes. They also have many free books , and have many discounted prices also. Love the Kindle , a great investment for MS book lovers!!!! Now even cheaper!!!

Comment

Our household has a Kindle and a Nook (regular; the backlit Color hurts my eyes). I definitely prefer the Kindle, but the Nook is easier to get library books, so for now it's a toss up.

Originally posted by CrazyCatLady View Post
                  Dont forget B&N does Free Nook Book Fridays! You just have to go to there web site!! Not always the best books....but hey, they are free!!
                  They only advertise books that have already been free on there for weeks so they can take credit for it. Inkmesh.com and pixelofink.com (both on Facebook as well) list all of the freebies on the internet, including the Nook "Free Friday" offerings...weeks earlier. Pixel caters to the Kindle, but usually if it is free on one reader it's free on others.

Comment

There is another good site out there where you can download free books that are available in the public domain.

http://librivox.org/

Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                    X