What would you change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you change?

I was just passing by the TV and caught part of a sitcom that was on. The guy was asked, if you could change something about yourself, what would it be? I started thinking about the question, and you know, nothing about my MS came to mind first off. Yes, I would like to see better, walk better, run, not use the bathroom so much, and the list goes on. But, other things came to mind before those. And those are things that I could have some control over, and improve on. It just makes you think that things aren't so bad after all. It would be nice to turn around and focus on the things I CAN change, rather than fret about the things I can't.
    I don't know - it just kind of struck me. My ramble for the day.

My first thought was-absolutely 100% MS would be gone! I look at what I still can do (and try hard to find new things that might be possible) but that list only seems to get shorter.

It would just be nice to make dinner, do more things with my family, work, walk, drive, take care of myself on my own, for the pain to stop, to have the cognitive problems disappear-this list could go on and on.

In the next few years my children will be having children of their own-I would love to babysit for them-be the grandma I always planned on being. My husband will be retiring too, just to do the simple things we enjoy doing together.

Oh yes, MS would be gone. Nothing is slowing down. If anything it is speeding up. I found out I am losing my hearing and there is nothing that can be done. There are so many things happening that I can do nothing about.

I am good at finding things to be thankful for because I am blessed in more ways than I can count, but right now it feels like with any new thing I put on my list of can do's, I end up erasing something else that I'm not able to do anymore.

Comment

Sorry, but I would change the last 10yrs of MS, no doubt about it.

Don't get me wrong, I am all about taking charge of things I can or should change in my life. I'm capable of chosing to change things that are counter-productive to my emotional and physical well being, or that will make me a better person.

But for me, without a doubt I would change the past 10yrs of MS.

Comment

It depends on what that question means exactly.

Is it "What would I change about myself as I am now"? HEALTH is my obvious answer, I WANT SOME!!!

If it was meant more as something I would've done differently if I knew what I know now- the answer would be that I never would have started smoking cigarettes. IF that was the context, yes I'd still have MS now, and likely still have the breathing and lung issues, but I believe had I never been a smoker it probably (the lung issues) wouldn't be as bad.

Comment

Wow, thanks for the replies. I think it just caught me off guard that MS was not the first thing that came to mind spur-of-the-moment. And it made me realize there are other things I COULD focus on.

But believe me, MS is THE FIRST THING I would change if I could, and I know any of us would do anything to be freed from this horrible disease.

On a positive note, I was in a pretty good mood when I posted that one, and these days those moods can be priceless!

Comment

What would I change?

I wish I had learned to live in the moment and never started to smoke in my life. MS taught me to live in the moment.

If I had the knowledge and resources I would find a cure for MS without the expectation of a profit. I don't want another person to be hurt by MS ever again.

Comment

I don't know about changing something about me, but knowing what I know now (that my life would be in the pooper), I wouldn't have worried so much about ruining my life by being "bad." I would have just done stuff and damn the consequences. Who cares, in the end?
              Dx 12/2006; first symptoms about 1984, but maybe earlier--on Gilenya and Ampyra.

"God has a lot of explaining to do"--Frida Kahlo

Comment

South7 - I know where you're coming from. Thankfully I still have good days where I say I wouldn't change a thing. And it's those days that get me through. It tells me I can survive this disease. I can still be happy. I can still laugh. I'm stronger than I ever was.

But if I could be cured of this disease, I'd do a happy dance for sure!

Comment

Working...
                X