Had a wonderful ride on my gelding today :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a wonderful ride on my gelding today :D

6 months ago, never thought I'd be balanced enough to be jumping on a horse again. Today Simon and I popped over a 6 inch thing, it was awesome. He's 25 years old and wasn't able to be ridden for a while. So this is rehab for both of us.
    Dx RRMS 2008/Kesimpta Feb 2023
    UNbalanced Dog Trainer - Accredited pet dog training instructor

Wonderful! I'm sure it was a healing experience for both of you. Animals help us heal, but we can help them heal too.
    DX 10/2008
    Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
    Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
    Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

What I wouldn't give to ride again. I was never able to own a horse. Never had the space.

But, always had friends with them. I haven't ridden since just after high school.

I miss it so bad. Not sure if I could even mount a horse now without a lot of help.

We were at a party last year, where they boarded some of the neighbors horses. I took my fiance out so we could at least pet them and interact. (I miss that too)

It was funny to watch him, he is not used to being around horses. He will never admit it but, I think they make him nervous.
      Kelli

Comment

Kelli,

Hippotherapy is actually discussed as a form of physiotherapy on the National MS website. It has been shown to be helpful to those with walking difficulties. With the proper training, there are instructors (and horses!) that can work with you. They also have extra equipment to help you get on that the horses are trained to accept

I see that you're in upstate New York - not sure where you are but please do a google for GallopNYC - they do offer therapeutic riding, or if they are too far away might be able to point you to places that are closer to you that also offer therapeutic riding.

Comment

Just did a search for you for therapeutic riding in NY

Kelli,

There is also Physical Therapy in Motion (Islandia, NY); Borrowed Freedom (Endicott), and at D'Youville College (Buffalo). As we can't post URLs, please do an online search for them.

Hope one of those is close enough to you for you to be able to ride again!

Comment

Working...
          X