Motorcycle Riding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorcycle Riding?

I was dx 9/9 and I want to go dirt bike riding. I think that I can, my balance isn't the best but I can ride a bicycle with my kids.

My wife doesn't want me to so I asked the doc at my last visit. I thought that he was going to say that it would be ok if I don't go all out and take it easy. Nope, he said with authority.

I think that they're both wrong. Two wrongs don't make a right, but two rights can make an airplaine.

I'm going riding.

If you weren't gonna follow his direction, why ask? Balance issues are not to be messed with!

Is it really worth the risk? Wait, maybe your balance will improve, and then you can go dirt biking.

It's none of my business....but sounds like you might need to grow up

Comment

Try telling your wife you are going to practice inside until you get her OK. As far as growing up , by the time we do , we can't do nothing. Dang , all those women been right all those years.

Comment

..and three rights make a left.
        Suppose you do pile it up, the ins. co. is just going to love reading about your Dx.
        What about one of those four wheeled monstrosities? You have to work a lot harder to get in trouble.

Comment

My Bf was recently dx's with MS and has a big motorcycle (1500) and wants to continue to ride.....

He has huge balance issues and partial paralysis on right side and STILL wants to ride----looking at "training wheels" but he is not happy about that at all....

I hope you will BOTH be realistic and take advise from those who can see you from the other side , esp your dr's!
          Peace ~~ Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Deer In Headlights View Post

My wife doesn't want me to so I asked the doc at my last visit. I thought that he was going to say that it would be ok if I don't go all out and take it easy. Nope, he said with authority.

I'm going riding.
            Go Riding if you feel you can!

I was an avid MX'r for many years. I can still ride but it frusterates me because I cannot ride at the level I expect from myself.
            I am not as fast or clean as I was pre MS and I have a hard time keeping my line. (i ride like a drunk)
            Most people that see me ride think I am pretty good but I am still disappointed with the level I can ride at.

If you can, try riding a quad.
            Not the big heavy 4X4 type but one of the sport machines. They are very similar to a bike but if you get a little off balance it does not seem to matter.

I am still pretty fast on a sport quad and can use my MX skills without being off my line soo much.

What type of riding do you do? Mountain trails,dessert, MX track or dunes?

I now prefer Dune riding to anything else.
            Dunes allow you to be as wild or mild as you want and there are no trees or big rocks to hit.
            If you have any unplanned dismounts the sand is alot softer and produces less injuries. (but it still hurts)

Ride while you can. It is great fun and it is important to keep whatever you are passionate about alive as long as you can. (IMHO)

Big horse-power machines on the sand are a blast!!!
            Big air, big speed, no cliffs,rocks or trees to ruin your day.
            It may not be completely safe but very few things that are fun are.??? Fun and excitement seem to require some risk.

Your not dead yet...Go have some fun!

Comment

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Cabernet in one hand - cigar in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ‘WOO HOO, What a Ride’

Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Deer In Headlights View Post
                Two wrongs don't make a right, but two rights can make an airplane.
                <Groan>
                DX 10/2008
                Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
                Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
                Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

I say go for it!! Maybe consider a "trike". That way you don't have to worry about balance issues, or having the strength to hold it up. Hubby and I took one for a ride last year, but I told him no way. Just because I am the one with ms and I don't want him to give up his cool looking bike for me. Just my thoughts

Anyway, like some others said, have fun while you can! I'm sure you know your limits Have fun!!

Comment

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Cabernet in one hand - cigar in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ‘WOO HOO, What a Ride’
                    Is there any other way to live???? not for me!
                    Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Update on bike

so with spring coming early my man was anxious to get on that bike.

He was out and had really bad troubles lifting up his right foot/leg when coming out of a stop.........and then he simply could not lift it....it is a miracle he got home without hurting himself or someone else.

He has decided to convert to a trike. which he really has resisted doing , but it is the only way he is going to be able to catch some wind.

I am VERY excited , as it takes so much worry and stress away worrying about him on the bike-- it also means I will be able to join him on the bike....!!!

Thanks !
                      Peace ~~ Kat

Comment

Originally posted by kif8skip View Post

He has decided to convert to a trike. which he really has resisted doing , but it is the only way he is going to be able to catch some wind.

I am VERY excited , as it takes so much worry and stress away worrying about him on the bike-- it also means I will be able to join him on the bike....!!!

Thanks !
                        Just an idea before you convert that bike to a trike.
                        SIDECAR!

I guy that goes to my church has a side-car on his bike and it is cool!!!

The side-car looks much more "Indiana Jones" where the trike is a little more "Grand-Pa".

Besides, if your DH ever recovers more balance he can still ride the same bike without the side-car.

My friends is real cool. With it he can take his wife and son with him or sometimes he will take his dog with him in it.

Any bike bigger than 750cc's should be able to push one.
                        (Just one more option)
                        -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deer In Headlights... Did you get on the dirt bike???
                        I see you live in SoCal? If so, one word, GLAMIS!!!
                        But you will have to go soon or it will be too hot.

Comment

I want to get one of those BMW trikes with the extra wheels in the front. They look more stable than the ones in the back. So I guess I'll just keep buying those lottery tickets. That is the only way I'm going to afford one of those.

Comment

Test drive 2012 HD trike. 6 gear, 106 cc, w/reverse. Stable, but geared to explode at take off. engineered for perfect balance. Has every option available.

Some say riding an HD is like riding a John Deere. Not a bad thing if one has balance problems/or can't muscle big bikes.

It is worth a trip around the parking lot to feel alive again, and bring back hope.

Keep on living!

Comment

I ride my Harley still and i am in a wheelchair sometimes to get around my biggest problem with balance is getting it out of my garage fell twice with it doing that never wrecked though but a dirt bike to me would be a no no to high and sliding in dirt and gravel i used to ride one in my younger day's I would not try it now.

Comment

Working...
                              X