Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple Sclerosis, an Enigma

Hi all,
    Amazon has just posted my new book, Multiple Sclerosis, an Enigma.

It is part biography, part story, part medical narrative ... and while it is silly to use MS and typical in the same sentence, I would have to say that it is not your typical "I have MS but MS doesn't have me," outcome.

I'd love to have someone read it for a review at Amazon or Goodreads or right here at MS World's Book Nook.

Please?
    First symptoms: 1970s Dx 6/07 Copaxone 7/07 DMD Free 10/11
    Ignorance was bliss ... I regret knowing.

Congratulations, CnP! I'd like to be able to browse your book, as I have with other books I've purchased through Amazon.

I don't own a Kindle or a Nook. I'm "old school". I like the feel of a book in my hands when I'm reading.
    “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
    Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Browsing

Hi Jazzgirl,
      I've completed the "Look Inside" data for the book, but see it hasn't post yet. It may take a few days...

I like getting a sample, too. Maybe I could post the prologue here?

Comment

I don't see why not! It's your writing.
        “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
        Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Prologue, Multiple Sclerosis, an Enigma

Here you go, Jazzgirl!

Prologue

I shall be telling this with a sigh
          Somewhere ages and ages hence:
          Two roads diverged in a wood, and I...
          ~Robert Frost

I had to pull over; I had to stop driving until I could stop shaking and stop crying. I was driving alongside an old wrought iron fence, and when I came to an opening and a paved drive I pulled in and found I'd entered a cemetery. I pulled over to the side of the drive and found myself in front of a family tombstone, labeled with a familiar name, a coincidence, but a reassuring one. I let the tears flow freely then, knowing I had been gently led to a safe spot, a name that I trusted, that I would always expect to be trusted by, the name of an honest man whom I had worked with, and I stayed there until I was calm. I said a quiet prayer of thanks to the Blessed Mother for leading me to this place. The shaking gradually lessened and eventually stopped. My breathing evened out, and I wiped my wet cheeks with my sleeve. I don't know how long I sat there, but I knew where I was, I knew what had been said, and I knew what I had to choose.

I put the truck in gear and pulled back out onto the roadway. It was dark, and rainy, and I drove slowly on the winding wet pavement. I sorted out what I had heard, what I had felt, and how I would explain it to Rick when I got home. He'll be surprised by what I'd decided while sitting there, as it was not what I had told him earlier that day. But he would agree, as he always did. He, too, would always trust me to make the right choices. I felt a huge weight settle onto my shoulders, and I let out a big sigh. When I pulled into our driveway half an hour later, the lights automatically came on, and Rick came out to meet me, as he always did. He opened his arms and hugged me, and I began to cry again. He walked me into the house, led me to the couch, turned off the television, and bent down in front of me.

"Tell me when you are ready. It's okay. It will be alright. I'll get you a glass of water," he said slowly, calmly as he handed me some tissues. Another big sigh escaped, and with it the tremors returned, and his arm came around my shoulders, his strength steadied me. I told him I would tell him later, after I had taken a warm shower. He said that would be fine. I went upstairs and heard him turn the television back on.

Upstairs, I turned on the tap, letting the hot water climb to the second floor bath while I pulled out towels, soap and shampoo before changing into a terry cloth robe and slippers. Adjusting the water temperature carefully to warm but not too warm, I stepped into the shower and let the water beat into my upper back ... and felt the tension begin to lessen. My worry and sadness slowly began to turn to anger and resentment. I struggled to shampoo my long hair with arms that ached when lifted over my head. In the building steam of the shower my legs began to wobble and I knew I would have to rinse and step out of the shower and go into the cooler bedroom to towel off. I stumbled slightly as my vision blurred, not from tears now but from the heat of the shower. Once such a comfort, now such a challenge; I counted off another small loss in my life.

Comment

Hi Chalknpens - Your prologue is very good -grabbed me right away, and I want to read more! Good Luck!

Comment

Great to read that!

Comment

hey Chalknpens- its MSnik!

wow. What more can I say? Ive been trying to find you for years now....and to find out all this about you? ! WOW. Im so impressed. Remember me? Im now doing my postgraduate work, and still working 60 hours a week...and am now only taking LDN (for 7 months now). I just read about your book- and your life- and WOW. I signed up on your guest page so I can learn more about you and hope we can get back in touch....
                Please Terry, stay well.

MSNik or Njn222
                R/R MS dx 9-2006
                Rebif 10-2006 and still on it

Comment

M.S.-An Enigma

Thanks for giving a heads up about your book, Terry. It will be in the upcoming Express...

Comment

Thanks, Lynne and Sparky. Maybe next week is a good way to think!

Comment

Just read your book!

Hi! I just read your book and really enjoyed it but now I want to know, how are you doing? The last chapter leaves me wanting to know if your experiment worked for you, if you feel like you've come to some acceptance of the disease or was it Parkinson's? I'm trying not to give too much away but it was a very well-written read that made me think. thanks!

Comment

CougarMama

Hi,
                        And thanks for reading my book - you are the first one here to have read it!

Yes, I am doing well as I had anticipated. Rick and I are getting out despite the delayed but arriving cold temperatures, and walking a mile or so each day. We will do the five mile walk at the end of March, and I will go as far as I can. Last year, before changes, I made it 2.5 miles (I know the short cut!) and I'm planning to do better than 3 miles this year. Maybe I'll make the full 5!

Thank you for reading, and for asking how I am doing. You have filled my heart with warmth, CougarMama!

Comment

CougarMama 2

Oh, I forgot to answer the rest of your question - the Parkinson's is still a question, and I will probably be back to Bethesda NIH in April or May, visit 2 of 5 spread over 7 years, looking for early indicators/biomarkers of PD.

Lots of tests involved, but I feel confident that someone besides me is at least looking for those signs and will treat if seen.

And how are you doing, CougarMama?

Comment

FINALLY!!!

Thanks for your patience, Terry...good read!!

Comment

Thank you

Thank you, Lynne. I'm glad you liked it, and appreciate your review in MS Express!

Comment

Working...
                              X