The Death of Ivan Ilych

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Death of Ivan Ilych

So he does die (hence the title) after much suffering in a short space of time. His doctors are useless and arrogant and his family isn't really there for him, dressing up and going out while he lies in pain on the sofa. He does find peace at the end.

It seems counter-intuitive, but it's such a great novella that it's worth a read.

death and depressing stuff

Since my dx, I find that I avoid books about disease. Books don't have to be happy, but I don't really want to read about terminal illness. Mental illness is ok. To read about I mean.

Lucky for me, I read this I I some years ago, so now I can move on....

Comment

Get Some Janet Evanovich

Her Numbers series will have you rolling on the floor. Now that I have been diagnosed, maybe I'll read them again, just to keep it light!

Comment

Read this for a class last year and was not enthused at first, but I agree, it is a really good one. In a weird way it was kind of up lifting, since the message that I got out of it was the whole live your life to the fullest and according to your own deeply held values, plus its such a depressing story you can't help but feel better once you get through it all.

Not sure that I'll ever read Tolstoy again though, he's to fascinated with the moment of death, to the point of complete utter obsession. But I guess every great artist has their muse.

Comment

I've read Anna Karenina by Tolstoy...a very looooong read but fascinating.

I may have to add The Death of Ivan Ilych one to my ever-growing reading list.
          Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.
          Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Working...
          X