Kindle Books Now Available at Public Libraries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kindle Books Now Available at Public Libraries

According to Amazon.com, you can now borrow Kindle ebooks from your public library. I went to my library's website, and it looks like that's true. I'll have to get a library card in person, but once I have that, I should be able to borrow books.

There are also a lot of free books through Pixel of Ink. I've downloaded so many books in the last two months, it'll take me two years to read them all.

Amazon is also coming out with several new Kindles. One is just $79 and weighs only 6 ounces. There is also a touchscreen Kindle, which would be great for those who have trouble with the buttons on a regular Kindle. And then there is a full color one that is kind of like a Nook, I guess. I'm going to stick with the one I have though. I my Kindle!
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Good news indeed! thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by Caterina_P View Post
      Good news indeed! thanks for sharing!
      Caterina, since the time I posted this, Amazon has also began loaning it's own books if you are an Amazon Prime member. Check it out. (There are also a lot of free Amazon books available. I've downloaded over 100 great books in the past few months.)
      Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
      Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Thanks for that info Shashi. Reading is really my hobby, if you noticed my posts (almost all in the book nook) I guess that's one thing that can't be taken away from me no matter how severe things are. =) Thanks again

Comment

I've just released my first two books, Teaching vol. 1 and 2, to kindle. I wonder whether they will be available at libraries?
          First symptoms: 1970s Dx 6/07 Copaxone 7/07 DMD Free 10/11
          Ignorance was bliss ... I regret knowing.

Comment

It's possible. I'll have to look for them. I'd love to read them.

Comment

They are $2.99 each at Amazon

Comment

Nook vs Kindle

I need to find from my library if they're ebooks are compatible with the Nook I just bought. I've only grabbed some public domain works from Gutenberg.org so far.
                RRMS: dx:March '07. Started CombiRx June 2007 - Avonex or Copaxone or Both; Study unblinded Nov.2011 - have been on only Copaxone.
                "e lascia pur grattar dov'e la rogna" (Dante "Divine Comedy")

Comment

Originally posted by ridgerunnr11 View Post
                  I need to find from my library if they're ebooks are compatible with the Nook I just bought. I've only grabbed some public domain works from Gutenberg.org so far.
                  Ridgerunnr, the Pixel of Ink website does have some free and reduced priced books listed for Nooks. They're the newer books, not the old classics like are in the public domain lists. The website is just PixelofInk.com.

Comment

Originally posted by Shashi View Post
                    Ridgerunnr, the Pixel of Ink website does have some free and reduced priced books listed for Nooks. They're the newer books, not the old classics like are in the public domain lists. The website is just PixelofInk.com.
                    Shashi, I've tended to read a lot of 18th to 20th century philosopy, English Enlightenment authors, sciences, etc... John Stuart Mill, Spinoza, Hume, Kant, Bacon, William James, Bertrand Russell, etc. Only the odd mind-candy novel here and there.
                    RRMS: dx:March '07. Started CombiRx June 2007 - Avonex or Copaxone or Both; Study unblinded Nov.2011 - have been on only Copaxone.
                    "e lascia pur grattar dov'e la rogna" (Dante "Divine Comedy")

Comment

Originally posted by ridgerunnr11 View Post
                      Shashi, I've tended to read a lot of 18th to 20th century philosopy, English Enlightenment authors, sciences, etc... John Stuart Mill, Spinoza, Hume, Kant, Bacon, William James, Bertrand Russell, etc. Only the odd mind-candy novel here and there.
                      You might want to check out POI anyway. They tend to have listings for all types of books, not just novels.

Comment

Library Books

I purchased my Nook Color last July. Hubby thinks he is a book widower now. At first I spent hours searching and snagging tons of free books just to find new authors.

Here in the San Diego Library system we have many formats of ebooks available. I download Epub format to my nook and have no problems. The hardest thing I find about locating Epub books is that the browser system on the library website is tricky. The easiest way to find books I want is to already know the author and search specifically for that name.

Two other hints:
                        1. there is often a wait for the books I want (I think they only have so many copies available for lending)
                        2. Finding the book on my Nook Color was tricky until I realized they are downloaded into the files section of my personal library. They show up as a file rather than a listed book.
                        Enjoy the reading...

Alilac
                        AliOp

Comment

Shashi

I've just succeeded in adding a Kindle version of Multiple Sclerosis, an Enigma. I don't know how or when it will get into the library's list of available titles, but it's in Kindle! There is a free sample at Amazon.com.

Comment

Originally posted by chalknpens View Post
                            I've just succeeded in adding a Kindle version of Multiple Sclerosis, an Enigma. I don't know how or when it will get into the library's list of available titles, but it's in Kindle! There is a free sample at Amazon.com.
                            Awesome! Thanks for letting me know. I'll go check out the sample.

Comment

borrow Kindle ebooks

Thank you Shashi! I have a Kindle and didn't know about this great news. You're on the ball.

Comment

Working...
                              X