A fun night!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A fun night!

A neighbor called and said she saw a pony running down the road in the dark....

So I fired up the old Buick and found...a pony running down the county road in the dark!!! I turned the pony around (with the Buick!) and pushed it back to my driveway 2 miles at pony trot speed.

It ran up to greet all my horses and I changed to 4 wheeler...I couldn't get near it yet...and chased it around my barnyard for about an hour till we had both had it!!

Now it is calmly eating hay in my round pen with a big bucket of water.

Found the owner and she'll come get it in the morning.

It's a hinney! Half horse half donkey. What a sweetheart.

And what a fun night. I still have some wrangler in the old jeans.

J
    Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

yeeha!!!
    sounds like fun!
    'bark at the moon, shot out the lights! small town saturday night!'

you gave me dejavu (whatever) from good old Kentucky. 'cept the horse was ornery enough to run down the MAIN RD, with my preteen DD hanging on to the makeshift halter rope while running/ half dragging behind it!!!
    couldn't get her to let go.
    thank GOd for small towns! friends saw what was happening on 2 lane, curvy, hilly, busy road at work/ school rush time and some on both ends turned and blocked road until DD had DH!!! DUMB HORSE! in our yard.
    whew, that was one crazy morning!!! but we laugh now looking back at it!
    oh, did i mention it was pouring down rain and we were all ready for school (i was a full time teacher then) with no time to go inside home after getting DH into paddock? so we looked like drowned rats and most of county already knew what had happened!!!

good old days! i do miss the country life!!!

thanks,
    take care & God bless ya!
    "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

The country life is the best!

Comment

Thanks for the good story- that must have been a site with you chasing after the "hinney" first with an
        old Buick and then a 4 wheeler!!

Never heard of a "hinney" before. Must be cute!

We live on the edge of town and the next door neighbor has a uncle that lives next to his land. There is a field between them. Anyway, the uncle has 2 mature horses that I love to watch when I am sitting outside. Course this year they planted corn, so it blocks out my view! Now I have to drive over to their street to see the beauties!!

Comment

Sounds like a good night!

Country life can be interesting.
          I have found a few horses in my yard over the past 20 years.
          They will usually follow a carrot or an apple for me and I know where most of them live.
          We have had a flock of sheep,cows,emu,lamas,alpaca...not to mention all kinds of wildlife in our yard. (on the rare occasion elk or bear)

But the wildest was a bull. (a huge mean black angus.)
          It had broken out of its fence and was munching on my wifes garden.
          When I went out to drive him away he charged me!
          I had to dive out of the way and then scramble into my chicken shed to escape.(that really pissed me off.)
          So...while I was bravely hiding in my chicken shed from the snorting beast I had an idea*.

My old motocross bike was in the shed... I was properly dressed for the occasion,-(berkenstocks,shorts and a t-shirt).
          No boots,no pads or body armor, no helmet.
          I thought to myself...I will give it one kick? If it starts I will do a little cowboy work.

Well of course the bike started right up so I felt obligated to chase the monster off of my property.

The bike was loud and seemed to scare the bull. It was working great as I yelled and whooped and guided the bull to the open gate.... Then the bull lost all respect for me and charged again!
          Lucky for me I can still ride pretty well and was able to turn quickly and escape the charge.
          The bull was about a foot or two behind my bike, head down, charging at full speed. I could feel the ground shaking under my bike.
          The spray from my back tire into the bulls face seemed to put him into a mad rage. He turned off and charged straight thru my fence...then the neighbors fence...then about the next three fences untill I could no longer see him.
          Those barbed wire fences just snapped like thread as the bull charged straight thru them. (it was a pretty awesome display of power.)

The experiance was very exciting and I will never forget it.
          It gave me a whole new level of respect for cowboys that ride bulls!
          (I am not sure if they are brave or stupid or perhaps a bit of both?)

Gotta love country life!
          It is real quiet with the occasional dose of big excitement!

Comment

Hey, j - thanks for the great story and good laugh. I think country life can be as unpredictable and exciting as city life. Give me the country life anytime!! We too have entertaining moments out our way and I'd rather watch and interact with the animals than with some humans I've met! Know what I mean?

btw, we have a "hinny" near us - we haven't had a close encounter - yet!

Is your garden harvesting coming to a close? I've worked so hard that I'll be glad to put the garden to rest for the winter! It's taking it's toll on my poor uncoordinated aging body.
            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Ha! what a great post!!! made me laugh too! Country is good.

I lived in half country half suburbia and was driving home one day in rush hour and low and behold a cow was in the middle of the road!

of course all the beemers, mercedes and huge SUVs (sorry if you have one) were going around the poor cow. I, in my little toyota tacoma and heels and skirt stopped in the middle of the road and got that cow off the road and called the police - didn't know who else to call! turns out the owner is not keen on keeping his fence in good condition so his cows are always getting out, the police know him well. Needless to say, it was an experience and my friends all laughed.

but I've done the same for turtles (always have gloves and a towel in the truck for those moments - turtles can bite!). I'll stop traffic for any animal - boy does that tick people off!

Great stories!
              This music is the glue of the world Mark. It's what holds it all together. Without this, life would be meaningless

Comment

Thanks you guys for sharing with me! I actually wish I could have kept the hinney..she was so sweet.

Seasha..all done with the garden and actually am taking out half of it for more dog space....but the root cellar is full of spuds and the freezer full of stuff.

j

Comment

Working...
                X