The Story of the Little Paper Flag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Story of the Little Paper Flag

Between the pages of my Bible is a small homemade paper flag. It only has 5 stripes, three red and two white, and just ten blue stars; and it is crudely colored with crayons. It is on a paper "staff" that is secured with tape. It's a very inaccurate and childish representation of our glorious flag. But to me, it is perfect.

I treasure this small, homemade flag because of what is written on the back of it by my mom. It says, "In memory of September 11, 2001 and our beloved flag." She added the date, Saturday, Sept. 22. It then goes on to tell the story of this little flag.

Mom wrote, "Four or five children, one very small carrying a fruit jar half filled with pennies and small change, came to my door this evening. 'Could you give us money for the hurt people in New York?', they asked. When I added my handful of change, they dug around in a basket they were carrying and handed me this precious little flag."

Later, my mom gave me the flag and told me the story of it, and I've kept it safe ever since, tucked in the pages of my Bible. I had almost forgotten about it until today, the tenth anniversary of that tragic September day when America came under attack. I went and got it from my Bible on my nightstand, and as I read the story of it that my mom had written on the back of it, I thought about those sweet little children, who would be almost adults now, and how they wanted to help the "hurt people in New York" by going door to door and collecting change. I thought too about my mom and how she treasured this simple little flag, as I will forever treasure it too.

It makes these words all the more meaningful: I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Flag

Wonderful story...thanks for sharing!

Comment

What a wonderful memory for you and thank you for sharing with us. I, too, have a bible where I tuck in all the precious memories/items.

Comment

That was lovely.

j
        Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

Thank you for sharing - what a heartwarming story.

Comment

Thanks Shashi,

Jer

Comment

Shashi- thank you for sharing your wonderful story! That was heart warming!

I'm sorry that I never saw your post before this. Guess I have been kinda lax in checking out the posts lately.

Comment

Working...
              X