Sailing a Sunfish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sailing a Sunfish

My family got me a Sunfish (little starter sailboat for anyone not familiar with them). I've never sailed before so this is quite the learning experience.

My first time out hardly lasted an hour. Part of the problem was I didn't get on the water until late afternoon, and it was toasty even with the breeze and being cooler on the water. And my lifejacket (borrowed) was cut a bit high and gouged my neck every time I switched sides.

Speaking of switching sides, I've got a nicely bruised right ear - and probably the side of my head under my hair, too, I suppose! - from getting smacked by the boom. Is this learning through experience, fear, or a combination?

So my question... has anyone else tried sailing as a newbie after MS? I'm not sure how much my (relatively minor) balance issues affected my first outing. I know the heat was a problem - I get confused/edgy very easily when overheated. I'm going to have to figure how to sail around the MS junk.

My bonus prize is a wicked case of swimmer's itch on my lower legs (fortunately only knees and down!). I'll be lucky if I don't scratch my legs off in the next few days.

Just got back from Florida where I took my family out on a Hobbie.
    It was a blast but the heat did get me a little weak.
    It seems to help if I jump in the water and get wet first, then go sailing.

Had so much fun we did it again two days later.

It was the first time I had sailed in 25+ years and it all came back in about 5 min's?

Lots wind but not much water where we live in CO.

Comment

Sail on Lake Michigan

I've been sailing for years on other peoples boats, they have ranged in size from 32' to the current 29' one a good friend invites us on. Back in the 80's my MS wasn't an issue. Last couple years my legs don't always work so getting on & off the boat has been interesting I bought my own lifejacket for sately sake.

Sailing sure is fun, most the time it is relaxing. I said most the time--it can get crazy when the wind kicks up. My friend has a strap that we use to tie my legs so when I'm on the high side I don't slide off the seat. My husband & friend laugh & tell people how they tie me up

When I or anyone get too hot, we just dip a hat in the cold water--that is refreshing. Last year we had lots of hot day but going out a few miles it's easy to find cool air. This year we have only been out once. I'm hoping we'll get a few more sails in before fall hits Wis!

Enjoy the winds, I'm sure the sunfish is fun
      Toot
      toot

DX 1986 currently on TY
      Copaxone 2003 to February 2015

Comment

Originally posted by toot2818 View Post
        I bought my own lifejacket for sately sake.

When I or anyone get too hot, we just dip a hat in the cold water--that is refreshing. Last year we had lots of hot day but going out a few miles it's easy to find cool air.

Enjoy the winds, I'm sure the sunfish is fun
        Toot
        I'm going to get my own lifejacket this week. I had one for years but stopped using it when I switched to fishing on shallow waters for bass and pike. I'm hoping for late-in-the-season sales (sails! a-ha).

Cold hat! Great idea. I'll venture out further, too, where the wind is better and cooler, once I have a better idea what I'm doing. Learning over the holiday weekend was probably not the best start - the lake has a state park and gets overrun by people with boats powered by beer. I have a week next month to spend on the lake, just me and the boat and the fishies and hopefully no beer-powered boats.

Comment

Working...
        X