No announcement yet.

It's a dog's life......:)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used to think I was just a cat person...

But now I have two doggies. Shelby (AKA Shelby-Belby) is a 7 year-old husky/shepherd mix. She's got one brown eye, one ice blue eye. I prefer the brown eye, b/c when we first got her from the pound she was skin and bones, and that blue eye looks really predatory. She's better than ADT, cause delivery people take about 3 big steps back when they see her at the door! But with her mama, she's a snuggly girl. She comes and checks on me if I'm having a bad day, and when I'm feeling sorry for myself, she lays on the floor in front of me b/c she knows I'll pet her with my foot as long as she wants when I'm not paying attention.

The second one is Sebastian (AKA Bashie boy) He's....a challenge. A pure Pomeranian, he's sable colored. Sweet as sugar but gets into the trash and still pees in the house. He's about 2 1/2 yrs old. But when I'm sick, he comes and lays down right against me. I've never been able to moderate my temperature very well and I get colder the more tired I get, so it's nice to have a warm furry "stuffed animal" when I'm exhausted. And I have to admit, it was pretty funny when he got stuck half in and half out of the trash bag I'd just taken out of the can and hung over a diningroom chair before I had to run my son out to his bus. When I opened the door to come back in the house, Bashi went perfectly still, like I wouldn't notice a big furry butt sticking out of the bag. yeah, ok.

I've always said that people who don't think animals have personality haven't been owned by a cat or dog. =)~
    D&C 121:7-8 ...peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment

Comment

I have loved dogs all my life and have many throughout my years. I know it will come as a surprise but I have three bulldogs right now. Stella 6 years old, Sid and Otis 2 1/2 year old brothers. I have had bulldogs for the last 25 years I love the breed. The ones in my photo are Stella, Luke and Matilda. I lost Luke and Matilda to cancer within a year of each other they were like husband and wife. My wife travels alot and they keep me company and take care of me while she is away. I am lucky that I work where I can bring one to work with me each day and they take turns coming with me. I also have a 14 year old cat Mack who rules the dogs he has seen many over the years and makes sure they know who the boss is. Great thread.
      "Dogs are not our whole life but they make our lives whole."

Comment

Isn't it wonderful that we can share this great love that we have for our dogs.

I am constantly amazed that people can gather with their dogs and instantly communicate. People from every walk of life and every social and economic arena can meet and chat if they really love a dog.

I love to take my dogs shopping! We go in any store that will let us and people always stop to talk and pet and enjoy a moment with my guys. When we go shopping they always get to pick out their own toy or treat. They have become very descriminating!

Right now all 4 of my own are sleeping in a circle around me. I am so lucky to have them to share life with.
        Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

this thread made me smile

i have two dogs, both from the animal shelter. i have german shepard/boxer mix, named miles, who is the best companion and over all just a great friend.

i have mia, which i got as a valentine's gift, last year. She pushes me on days that I feel my worst, to see the bright side.

I think pets, have a great ability to comfort us.

Comment

Jasmine, Duke , and Gypsey

Jas the blue heeler is better than an exrta 3 people when we are moving cows or working them. Plus she is my "protector" from all bad things. She tests the water before I cross a creek, she keeps the men that work on the roads ON the roads, and kills every snake she finds. I haven't been able to teach her the difference between a king snake and a copperhead. Duke the giant gsd helps me carry the laundry basket when I fill it up with clothes for either hanging out or taking in. He will just about trip me if I don't let him carry at least part of the load. Gypsey the blue heeler is the most useless of the three. Her only job is to ride the tractor with me. She will sit between my legs and ride all day. She is good company.
            I love the dog stories. Keep them coming!
            All sunsets are beautiful, but the most amazing sunsets have a few clouds.

Comment

Originally posted by bulldogman View Post
              I have loved dogs all my life and have many throughout my years. I know it will come as a surprise but I have three bulldogs right now. Stella 6 years old, Sid and Otis 2 1/2 year old brothers. I have had bulldogs for the last 25 years I love the breed. The ones in my photo are Stella, Luke and Matilda. I lost Luke and Matilda to cancer within a year of each other they were like husband and wife. My wife travels alot and they keep me company and take care of me while she is away. I am lucky that I work where I can bring one to work with me each day and they take turns coming with me. I also have a 14 year old cat Mack who rules the dogs he has seen many over the years and makes sure they know who the boss is. Great thread.
              I have often admired the picture of your beautiful bullys! Both DH and I had one before we met. We have mastiffs now but will probably head back to bulldogs in future years as they were a tiny bit easier to handle physically.
              He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
              Anonymous

Comment

Scotch

She's a lab mix from the pound. Originally my daughter's but she moved into a place where Scotch didn't have room to run, etc so she came to my house.
                She lays on couch or bed if I am resting, announces visitors before the doorbell and greets you with a toy in her mouth even if you were only gone a few minutes.
                Watches over the grandbabies until they are big enough to move around. Will come and get you when they start to cry. It's sweet. Gets along with the cat too.

Comment

Originally posted by akafearless View Post
                  She's a lab mix from the pound. Originally my daughter's but she moved into a place where Scotch didn't have room to run, etc so she came to my house.
                  She lays on couch or bed if I am resting, announces visitors before the doorbell and greets you with a toy in her mouth even if you were only gone a few minutes.
                  Watches over the grandbabies until they are big enough to move around. Will come and get you when they start to cry. It's sweet. Gets along with the cat too.
                  What more could you ask? She sounds wonderful.
                  He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                  Anonymous

Comment

Love the dogs

I can't imagine being without a dog in my family - they are just so loving, no matter what. We have a rescue - schnauzer mix - super good dog.

Great reading about all your dogs - super thread.

Comment

Today and this whole week I have 10 dogs plus my own. PHEW!! My little kennel is exploding. We have to add a couple portable runs for my dogs to sit in while I work.

We have geriatrics who know it all and pups who know nada. Great Pyrenees to Boxers. Each has it's own personality. Some you like......................

And you know...some of the owners DO look like their dogs!!

(Geez I hope I don't look like my Corgi!!!)

Wish all you dog lovers could come for a day to swim your pups in the river and drink a cold brew.

Comment

From Molly to Holly

Back in May of 2007 I had to put down my beloved Border Collie of 13 years Molly. So I said right then no more dogs....OK that lasted all of.... oh a week!

I found Holly at the Midwest Border Collie rescue the last week of May 2007 when she was 4 and she has been with me ever since. She is a wonderful dog, very laid back for a Border!

She loves to walk with me or just hang out by the couch. If I feel good and want to go out she is up for it, if I have a bad day and want to nap she is good for that too! Just a great dog!

Comment

Our 2nd set of kids...

Frankie and Mr. Max

Frankie is 1/2 daschund and 1/2 border collie. She's our little 15lb fetching dog. She will make you throw her tennis ball or flying squirrel all day! She's 11 this year, but that doesn't stop her from running like crazy.

Mr. Max is our english mastiff. He is our 100# lap dog. He is the absolute best at giving hugs and he will ask for them! The most lovable dog ever. He's 5 and the big baby in our house.

Dogs are wonderful....they love you no matter what and when you have a horrible day, they are always there with their tails waggin'.

Comment

I have been taking care of a 140 lb St Bernard-Anatolian X dog named Hugh because the folks can't do all the meds required and be at work too........We have had him in the kennel for over a week now!!

He had an eye ulcer where something impaled his right eye.

We got word at the last vet exam that we saved the eye.

I am so grateful for the experiences that our boarding dogs have given us.

Today the big galoot was wandering around in the kennel while I was grooming and he put his 100 lb head up on my table and nuzzled a 2.5 lb yorkie. It was the most touching thing I have ever seen. The end of Huey's nose is bigger than Teaka's whole body. And they sniffed and loved on each other.

If only I loved people as much as I love dogs.!!!!

Comment

My dogs are part of our family- and they go everywhere that I go. We only stay in hotels where dogs are welcome b/c one of them refuses to eat, or come out of his kennel when he's seperated from me. I have had dogs all of my life- and always at least 2 at the time.

Mickey and Daisy are both chihuahuas. The male has "papers," and for his 1st 3 years, was used for stud fees by his 1st family. I was contacted by our local shelter b/c he bit all of his prospective new families. Love at 1st sight! And we've been inseperable for 4 years. Daisy was a rescue at 5 weeks, after being removed from deplorable conditions. 3 years later, you'd never suspect she'd not been expected to survive!

They know when I'm having a bad day, and stand guard. The male weighs 5lbs and Daisy weighs 7... they just don't know it. My husband calls Mickey, "Cujo Jr."

Thanks for giving me an opportunity to "talk dogs!" It's great knowing there are other dog fanatics on this site. Reading the posts made me smile---- and it's been a baaad day

Have a great weekend (as good as possible). Hugs

Shalom
                              You never fail, until you stop trying__Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X