No announcement yet.

What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and have started The Girl who Played with Fire. I'm enjoying them. I need to get the last one too. Jade

Comment

So good!

I really loved those books. I'm really disappointed that there won't be anymore. I pre-ordered the last book the girl who kicked the hornet's nest. If you have any suggestions for other books, I would love to hear them!

Comment

The Kitchen House

i recently read 'the kitchen house.' i had just finished reading 'The Help,' and found this one dealt with slavery also - but in a very different era and with an interesting twist.

an irish family is emigrating to america - parents, son and daughter. the parents perish on the voyage and children arrive unaccompanied and are therefore sold into slavery.

so a 4 y.o. irish girl with red hair and freckles - and amnesia - finds herself in the midst of african slaves on a plantation in South Carolina. the story follows her life. a very good read.
        If i can walk and talk, and see and pee, i'm having a great day!

Comment

Originally posted by WriteOn View Post
          I forgot to mention another book, "The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd. I love this book and actually read it twice. She won awards for this book and after reading it, you will see why.

The mermaid chair was a really good one too. Went and got it from the library after I read Bees.
          And if it doesn't get better, it will at least get different. Make it an adventure!

Comment

I just read an excellent book called "Little Bee" by Chris Cleve. I am recommending it to my book group. A bit brutal at times, but excellent writing and story line!!
            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Excellent History of the Boston Post Road

I'm reading

The King's Best Highway: The Lost History of the Boston Post Road, the Route That Made America by Eric Jaffe (Hardcover - Jun 22, 2010)

I picked it up from one of my favorite libraries in Fairfield, CT, it is a few hundred feet from the Old Post Road.

Well written, the author focuses on the impact of communication of goods and ideas on the development of the US.

Filled with facts and information - did anyone know there were once nine iron mills in Fairfield, or that New Haven was a center of carriage production?

I had no idea, nor did I even begin to know about RI's role in production of cotton yarn and fabric.

Not profound, but of interest to those of us who use today's Post Road dozens of times a week, sometimes taking the Old Post Road, recalling Franklin who was a moving force behind the mail that connected NY and NE, carrying ideas that made the revolution a reality.

Highly recommend.

Comment

A smattering of books reading/just read

I loved the book "The Art of Racing in the Rain" and the book "One Good Dog" is another book that is written with the "perspective" of the dog...and also the human. I just finished this and I really recommend it! It brought some tears as the dog described some of its life as he is raised to fight other dogs.

I read "The Almost Moon" by Alice Sebold (who wrote The Lovely Bones"). It is a very dark story that is twisted and complex. The ending leaves something to be desired, IMHO, but on the other hand, it is one of those stories that does not neatly wrap up in the end. This book is good in the sense of how it tells the tale of how this woman came to be so messed up, and the deed(s) she does over the course of the story.

I have the Lovely Bones as a download (through Adobe), borrowed from my local library and will start that soon.

Lastly, I am reading the play "Our Town" by Thornton Wilder. This one I am reading because I try to read a "classic" now and then.

Happy Summer Reading!
                Blessings,
                Biscuit
                Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.
                Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

I am reading Sidney Sheldon's "The sky is falling". I think I might have read it a while ago but what the heck I'll try it again!

Comment

Sacrament

I am re-reading "Sacrament" by Clive Barker. He is known for horror, but this book is more about self discovery and destiny. I am in a spiritual, self-finding kinda mood lately.

Comment

After finishing Sarah's Key, I began reading The Calvary Road by Roy Hession. I've read it several times before but it is one that is worth reading again and again.

Comment

i just finished s king 'the dome' i so loved it. iam reading tommyknockers now.

Comment

what are you reading

I just started "Enabling Romance, A guide to love, sex and relationships for people with disabilities." So far I think it is great for both disabled and able bodied people. I think it gives a great point of view for both.

Comment

The Feeling Good Handbook, David D. Burns, M.D.

A good book for anxiety and depression. Helps with many facets of your daily life. A ready reference on medication type and information about side effects.

This really isn't a "reader", it is more of a workbook and reference. This book still sits on my end table and the paperbook binding is showing signs of use.
                            Medicated for Your Protection

Comment

Originally posted by JadeVictoria View Post
                              I just finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and have started The Girl who Played with Fire. I'm enjoying them. I need to get the last one too. Jade
                              Me Too! I'm excited that The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is being made into a movie. I like seeing the differences between the book and movie. I started reading The Girl who Played with Fire.

Sarah123 Too bad there won't be anymore Lisbeth books.

Comment

Originally posted by DecGrl View Post
                                Me Too! I'm excited that The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is being made into a movie. I like seeing the differences between the book and movie. I started reading The Girl who Played with Fire.

Sarah123 Too bad there won't be anymore Lisbeth books.
                                I'm in agreement. I just loved these books. At first I was kind of creeped out by all of the violence. But then I fell in love with Sal (Lisbeth) and wanted her to be redeemed so read all of them. Yes, it is too bad the author died and we'll have no more. . .

Comment

Working...
                                X