No announcement yet.

What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls, a memoir, that I think should be read by everyone. Very challenging to our ideas of parenting.

Then read The Year of Fog by Michelle Richmond. A very interesting read but I don't think she's the best writer.

Now reading The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson, the true story of the Chicago World's Fair.

My next book group book is Skeletons at the Feast and I don't remember the author.

I'm also reading Sitting at the Feet of Rabbi Jesus by Ann Spangler and Lois Tverberg.

Comment

Good Books

The Unfinished Life, Therapy by Kellerman, books by Camus and Munro

The Help, The Boy in Striped Pajama's, The Wholeness of a Broken Heart, Patient 002, The Book Thief, The Silent Boy

Messenger, Push by Saphire(book Precious was based on), In Cold Blood by Truman Capote,

These are most of the books I have read this winter,

Enjoy Stumblebum

Comment

Fun Book !

Just finished "The Beekeeper's Apprentice" by Laurie King.

Fun read about Sherlock Holmes and his female assistant....easy reading but full of mystery and......Laurie King has several books out along the same line. I grew up on Agathie Christie mysteries and loved this !

Comment

The Help

The last book I read was The Help by Kathryn Stockett. It was generally written from the point of view of the African-American household help (thus the title) in several homes in 1960's Jackson, Mississippi. An excellent read.

Comment

Yes, my book group will be discussing The Help this month. I really enjoyed it. In fact, I thought we should all fly to Jackson, Mississippi (that is the location, right?) and discuss it at the Robert E. Lee Hotel. Oooh, wouldn't that be fun?

I'm currently reading Crazy Love. And since the book is back in my bedroom, you'll have to guess the author.

Comment

I am reading The Lightening Thief series. They are young adult literature. My eye is acting up, so they are easier for me to read right now. They are about a boy who is the son of one of the ancient Greek gods. He and his friends go out on quests. They are a fun easy read and have a bunch of interesting mythology facts in them. Jade

Comment

Our book group is reading The Madonnas of Leningrad by Debra Dean. The dual setting is during WWII when Germany was invading the Soviet Union (& people are staring!) and modern day Washington state, where her granddaughter is getting married. An old woman, suffering from Alzheimer's, remembers more clearly the days of being a museum tour guide in the Hermitage Museum than what is going around her in current time. This is such a poignant & heartbreaking story and I loved it!
                1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Finished Crazy Love by Francis Chan and now am reading the third in the trilogy of books by Stieg Larsson, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest. If you haven't read these, they are excellent.

I do not, in general, like books that have this much evil in them. But I fell in love with the main character, Lisbeth Salander or Sal as I call her. She has had so much bad done to her throughout her life and I want redemption for her. I'm in the midst of the third book (over 500 pages) and I'm still hoping for her.

Anyway, if you like suspenseful, action thriller type books, read The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire, and the one I named above. You will not regret it!

Comment

books are my favorite

I am currently reading "Don't Touch Me" by Howie Mandel. He has Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and Attention Deficite w/ Hyperactivity Disorder. Just about 1/4 of the way into it. I just finished reading Janet Evanovich's Fifteenth novel. Sorry can not remember the name for the life of me.

Comment

andrew greely the priest and the senater

Comment

Reading Push by Sapphire right now. Finished Comic Book Nation. I have The Power of Half to read and then I will be out of books. Hopefully, my emergency shipment will arrive soon

Comment

Just finished reading Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage by Elizabeth Gilbert who also wrote Eat, Pray, Love. This is another humorous book by her in which she spends months reseaching what it means to make the committment to enter marriage. It has lots of cultural, historical and interesting facts on marriage from around the world. I loved every minute of it and highly recommend it!

P.s. The man she's thinking of marrying is the man she met in Indonesia while writing Eat, Pray, Love!

Comment

My current read is Growth of the Soil by Knut Hamsun. Very interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by jessiesmom View Post
                              The last book I read was The Help by Kathryn Stockett. It was generally written from the point of view of the African-American household help (thus the title) in several homes in 1960's Jackson, Mississippi. An excellent read.

I am reading this right now! One of those books you can't put down, but then you don't want it to end. I like to think we've come a long ways since the 60's!!

Comment

Just finished "Awkward B***h My Life with MS" by Marlo Donato Parmelee. Good book, could totally relate. Should be required reading for family and friends to fully understand what we go thru.

Comment

Working...
                                X