No announcement yet.

What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum and am beginning The Story of Edgar Sawtelle.

Those Who Save Us is another Holocaust book and very good for those who like those stories.

I also read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl who Played with Fire by Steig Larsson. And waiting for a friend to pass on the third in the trilogy to me. They have lots of evil in them but they are exceptionally well written and I love the main character, Salander, and want her to find redemption.

Comment

I just got the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo for my Kindle so glad to hear it's good!

Comment

I'm reading 'The Longest Trip Home'; good book.

I can relate to it because I was raised Catholic and though the author was a few generations behind me, the experience was still similar.

This is a good read particularly if you are open minded.

Diane
        You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Patterson

Originally posted by daisymay View Post
          I am reading BEACH HOUSE by James Patterson. DH got me hooked on him. Always a great read! Mystery w/a good story line.

Each chapter is told thru the eyes of a different character in the book.
          Never read a book like that. Pretty good so far.
          Sometimes that feels like cheating to me. Lazy to not keep the one voice. Does Patterson do the New Orleans detective series?

Comment

Henke

Originally posted by WriteOn View Post
            I am reading "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close" by Jonathan Safran Foer.

It is an interesting read. About a 9-year old boy who is trying to find the lock to a key his Dad had - his father died in the World Trade Center tragedy.

So far it is good but doesn't seem to call to me to read it like the books by Roxanne Henke did.eace:
            What does Henke write?

Comment

Plum series

Originally posted by brooks1teacher View Post
              I am betwixt two books at the moment.

One is non-fiction and written by one of my favorite authors: Frances Mayes' A Year in the World. She is the author of Under the Tuscan Sun.

This travelogue is a year that she and her hubby took and traveled throughout various parts of the world. I love reading her stuff because she excites my senses. I just wish she'd stop talking about all that FOOD though!

The other book is fiction, Javier Sierra's The Secret Supper. It is not quite like the DaVince Code, but it does revolve around Leonardo and suspicion of his heresy portrayed in his famous painting, The Last Supper. It is set back in Leonardo's time and revolves around a religous man trying to solve certain mysteries.

For my fun book I can hardly wait to get my hands on the new Janet Evanovich novel, 12 Sharp, the next one in the Stephanie Plum series.

Happy page turning to everyone. I am so HAPPY to see the Book Nook back.
              Weeble
              I got about 12 Plum books after reading the first one. I read them in order and laughed quite a bit. Just tell me did she marry the cop? Or, did she decide to hang with the other hunk, the one who was some kind of Blackwater type? Hiaasen also writes pretty funny mysteries.

Comment

plum series

I just looked up Twelve Sharp by Stephanie Plum at our library. But it says it is written by Janet Evanovich? A Stephanie Plum novel by Janet xxx

Is Stephanie Plum a character?
                Yeah she's (the name escapes me!) -- not a detective but the person that goes and picks up wanted people when they skip out on their bond. Her grandmother was one of my favorite characters. Stephanie was afraid of guns when I was reading the series. She gets herself in all sorts of crazy dangerous situations but the bad guys are almost always so stupid even Stephanie can beat them. Series are a neat fun read.

Comment

secret life of bees

I forgot to mention another book, "The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd. I love this book and actually read it twice. She won awards for this book and after reading it, you will see why.

I heard good reviews about this book. I guess Im too hooked on thrillers. But put on my list to expand my horizons. What did u like best about Secret Life?

Comment

marley

Originally posted by shalynn View Post
                    I finished reading Marley and Me. It's a delightful book about a man, his family, and his dog Marley. It's going to be made into a movie soon.

I love animals, but I don't think you have to be an animal lover to enjoy the book.

I also read Breakdown Lane, I thought it was good, but hard to get through too.

Happy reading
                    Enjoyed movie. Up lifting fun and got me laughing. Always good.

Comment

lemon pie

I loved The Secret Life of Bees, by Sue Monk Kidd and was really excited to read her other book The Mermaid Chair I was sadly disappointed. I don't recommend it. When I went to the library, the librarian helped me find books by David Baldacci and got Total Control. I will let you know what I think. She also recommended the Lemon Meringue Pie Murder by Joanne Fluke. It is a nice read, enjoyable and well written. She puts recipes in the story! I am almost done and I recommend this book. She has others, too. I seem to relate to the main character in funny ways.
                      gotta check this one out. anyone try recipes?

Comment

I finished The Story of Edgar Sawtelle and also read A Marriage Without Regrets by Kay Arthur. Am now reading Finding Organic Church by Frank Viola.

Comment

Originally posted by azcoyote View Post
                          Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon (for the third or fourth time, I love this series!), and Unsettled; an Anthropology of the Jews by Melvin Konner. I try to have one fiction and one nonfiction going all the time.

Comment

good mysteries

Originally posted by azcoyote View Post
                            Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon (for the third or fourth time, I love this series!), and Unsettled; an Anthropology of the Jews by Melvin Konner. I try to have one fiction and one nonfiction going all the time.
                            What is series about?

Comment

Secret life of bees

It is right at the top of my favorite all time books. Hope you like it, too!

Liz
                              What's the plot? What did u like most about the story? I don't like romantic stuff.

Comment

Over Christmas I read 4 of the Richard Paul Evans book, The Christmas List, Grace, Finding Noel and The Christmas Candle. All great little fast reads. I just finished 206 Bones by Kathy Reichs, and I will be reading some books by Frank Peretti, Christian fiction books that keep me on the edge of my seat. Ive already read This present darkness. That was a good book.

Comment

Working...
                                X