No announcement yet.

What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh that sounds lke my kind of book.. I love the psychological thrillers.. do you ever read any Karin Slaughter?

Comment

Originally posted by Sandra67 View Post
      i have a problem picking out books... I love to read but so many times I find that during a book I realize I have already read it or saw the movie.. I never remember upon buying the book though... and I have read so many books I could never remember which ones I have read. Anyone else do this?
      It's frustrating, I just had to put down yet another book for this reason and I am hoping to get something new to read. I love Patricia Cornwell and Karin Slaughter... can anyone recommend me an author along those lines? Also love John Irving yet he is very wordy. These days I confuse so easily... maybe I should try reading non-fiction?
      If you like Cornwell, then you would love author, Kathy Reichs. :-) The main character, Temperance Brennen, is a forensic detective. Have you ever watched "Bones" on TV? The director of that show is Kathy Reichs!! But, the Brennen on TV is different than in the book.

Try her books! Seasha
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

i have a problem picking out books... I love to read but so many times I find that during a book I realize I have already read it or saw the movie.. I never remember upon buying the book though... and I have read so many books I could never remember which ones I have read. Anyone else do this?
        It's frustrating, I just had to put down yet another book for this reason and I am hoping to get something new to read.
        I love Patricia Cornwell and Karin Slaughter... can anyone recommend me an author along those lines? Also love John Irving yet he is very wordy. These days I confuse so easily... maybe I should try reading non-fiction?
        I have started books that seemed familiar, only to find out I already have it. Publishers re-release books, sometimes 2 books in one, call it something else and change the cover. It drives me nuts! I don't buy "new releases" anymore. I keep a list of all the books I've read, always check the original publish date, than order from amazon.

Comment

Seasha, awesome, I will check out getting some of her stuff, thanks!! She sounds familiar but I can't say for sure anything I may have read from her.
          nyblondie, yes I hate the new cover thing... what is that all about? fooling us? it's working!
          I don't know if I could compile a list of all the books I have read. Some authors I only read in order of their release so as not to re-read/re-buy but others I am still getting to know. Maybe I could ask my partner to make a list for me.. it would be a start... I just don't seem to have the concentration to do it but it is a good idea.

Comment

Seasha, awesome, I will check out getting some of her stuff, thanks!! She sounds familiar but I can't say for sure anything I may have read from her.
            nyblondie, yes I hate the new cover thing... what is that all about? fooling us? it's working!
            I don't know if I could compile a list of all the books I have read. Some authors I only read in order of their release so as not to re-read/re-buy but others I am still getting to know. Maybe I could ask my partner to make a list for me.. it would be a start... I just don't seem to have the concentration to do it but it is a good idea.
            Sandra67, I also keep a list on my computer - about 600 so far! but then, I was a librarian for 30 years... Anyway, if you or your partner get books from your library (or buy them), always keep the receipt that shows the title - at least you'd have that as a starting point. It's never too late :-) Hopes this helps!
            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

To: 502

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've read three books by Muggeridge. Conversion, Jesus Rediscovered, and A Third Testament are the titles. Frankly it has been too many years ago for me to remember details. He was a contemporary and friend of C.S. Lewis and I just appreciate his honest style of writing. The first two are nonfiction, autobiographical. Anyway, if you decide to read something by him, let me know. His style is NOT like Chesterton but very engaging. Chesterton had to be read in small doses (by me).

I will look for the Rilke book you've suggested. And I will return to the book I have and give it another try. Thanks. Loved

Comment

Thanks Seasha I will keep that in mind.. unfortunately for me I don't remember a lot of the books I read and I no longer have them.
                I just started reading The Shack today... I know I haven't read that one, I actually splurged and bought a new book at a store ;-)

Comment

Mystery / Crime series for me.

I've been reading the Hamish MacBeth crime series by M.C. Beaton and the Thomas Pitt/Monk series by A. Perry.

What I'm gonna do when I finish both series I shudder to think.

It's the only thing that can relax me enough so I can go to sleep at a decent time.
                  "It's easier to be critical than correct."- Disraeli

Comment

I have to recommend the author Stephen White, he writes about a physcologist married to an asst DA in Colorado who has ms, the stories are fantastic. I just finished the second book in Dean Koontz's Frankenstein trio, it was so good, I got it sat morning and finished sat night.

Comment

I have to recommend the author Stephen White, he writes about a physcologist married to an asst DA in Colorado who has ms, the stories are fantastic. I just finished the second book in Dean Koontz's Frankenstein trio, it was so good, I got it sat morning and finished sat night.

Comment

Loved comments on Muggeridge

L:
                        Thanks for the titles, I'm rereading Orthodoxy by GKC. I too, need to read 6 -8 pps at a time to get his drift. I will look for one of your suggestions after. Thanks again, and drop a note if you come across any other author that gives the brain a work out...

Originally posted by Loved View Post
                        Thanks for the quick reply.

I've read three books by Muggeridge. Conversion, Jesus Rediscovered, and A Third Testament are the titles. Frankly it has been too many years ago for me to remember details. He was a contemporary and friend of C.S. Lewis and I just appreciate his honest style of writing. The first two are nonfiction, autobiographical. Anyway, if you decide to read something by him, let me know. His style is NOT like Chesterton but very engaging. Chesterton had to be read in small doses (by me).

I will look for the Rilke book you've suggested. And I will return to the book I have and give it another try. Thanks. Loved

Comment

I just finished The Christmas Sweater by Glenn Beck. Beautiful. Amazing story of a young boy learning the difference between wants and needs. He sure didnt want the sweater, just that bike with the banana seat...very well written! Enjoy!
                          "Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it." ~~Rumi

Comment

I started The Shack and just couldn't continue, so not my kind of story. So I ordered Karin Slaughters newest book (forgot the name) and now I am waiting for it to arrive. I just can't get into feel good religious type of stories

Comment

Chaim Potok

Just finished over the course of 2 weeks five novels by Chaim Potok. (yes, was a bit absorbed in them)
                              I HIGHLY recommend them.

The Chosen (1967)
                              The Promise (1969)
                              My Name is Asher Lev (1972)
                              The Promise of Asher Lev (1990)
                              I am the Clay (1992)
                              RRMS: dx:March '07. Started CombiRx June 2007 - Avonex or Copaxone or Both; Study unblinded Nov.2011 - have been on only Copaxone.
                              "e lascia pur grattar dov'e la rogna" (Dante "Divine Comedy")

Comment

I'm reading, Earthly Joys by Philippa Gregory.
                                I love this author & have read many of her books.
                                God Bless Nona Judy

Comment

Working...
                                X