No announcement yet.

What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The Meaning of Matthew" by his mother, Judy Shepard. True story of his murder and her grief turned activism. It's sad and tragic, but inspiring at the same time. I'm going comedy next book!

Comment

WATER FOR ELEPHANTS by Sara Gruen

Comment

I can't find one of those great reads that just absorb you into it.

Just finished 'The Golden Compass'. I can't recommend it; too confusing for me.

Now I'm reading Three Cups of Tea, but I'm slow getting into it.

Prior to these last mentioned I read Steve and Me and it was a good read. Fast.

Diane
        You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

I'm reading the "Heart of Texas" Trilogy byDebbie Macomber, I'm on the 3rd book,very good.
          Nona Judy

Comment

What I'm Reading

I am currently reading "The Things We Do For Love" by Kristin Hannah. It's very good!

Comment

A very interesting read

Facing the Cognitive Challenges of Multiple Sclerosis by Jeffrey N. Gingold.

Love it!!

Holli

Comment

I am currently reading 1776 by David McCullough. It is a fun, fast paced look at the first full year of the American Revolution, with a particular focused on General Washington. If you like american history you will enjoy 1776.

Comment

Oh, MissElaine, I just loved Water for Elephants.

I'm reading The Time Traveler's Wife. The author is a really odd name. . . Audrey Niffenegger. Well, the Audrey is not odd. I've just never heard the last name before.

Comment

I am reading Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz

Ok here I go I am writing a book.Actually I wrote a book. 60,000 words is "wrote" for a new author
                    I think.

I am now shopping for a literary agent

anyone?anyone?
                    Blessed be
                    Diane

Comment

basicly NF titles but worth a read

Rainer Marie Rilke's "Letters to a Young Poet" is his most accessible book, it is not poetry, but an amazing outlook on life (these are real letters to a young poet) almost a hundred years ago. Rilke's poetry is tough to begin with and translation does not help.

Other great poets I have enjoyed: Billy Collins, Tony Hoagland and Elizabeth Bishop

Theologians: G.K. Chesterton ('The Everlasting Man' and 'Orthodoxy') both are centered on the Universal (Catholic) church and although the reading is sometimes taxing (keep a dictionary close at hand) the understanding that shines through is amazing. Also written over a hundred years ago... valid forever.

And finally... Fiction: Recent read was 'The Leopard' by Guiseppe di Lampudusa. Although I have no roots in Italy, I did know my european Grandparents. This book will really set that atmosphere... warm wonderful nostalgic feel that can not be dismissed.

And last but not least, everything by Dickens

Comment

I had seen so many Rainer Maria Rilke quotes in things I was reading. . . quotes that really intrigued me. So I purchased the only book I could find, Ahead of All Parting. I haven't given it my best effort but I have found it difficult. . . and unlike the things I'd heard quoted.

Anyway, Chesterton is great. Have you also read Malcolm Muggeridge?

Perhaps I should give Rilke another try.

Comment

I keep reading books I have already read...

i have a problem picking out books... I love to read but so many times I find that during a book I realize I have already read it or saw the movie.. I never remember upon buying the book though... and I have read so many books I could never remember which ones I have read. Anyone else do this?
                          It's frustrating, I just had to put down yet another book for this reason and I am hoping to get something new to read.
                          I love Patricia Cornwell and Karin Slaughter... can anyone recommend me an author along those lines? Also love John Irving yet he is very wordy. These days I confuse so easily... maybe I should try reading non-fiction?

Comment

Our book group will be reading Double Bind by Christopher Bohjalian, a psychological mystery. I've read it once when it was first published and loved it. Has an incredibly surprising ending! Makes you say "What???" Won't tell you anything else :-)
                            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

What are you reading now?

Just finished reading "Beach Music" by Pat Conroy. What a wonderful read...lots of twists and turns. Beautiful use of language. Enjoyed. Problem is....next week I won't remember what it is about....so don't ask. :-)

Comment

To Loved Re: R.M. Rilke

Originally posted by Loved View Post
                                I had seen so many Rainer Maria Rilke quotes in things I was reading. . . quotes that really intrigued me. So I purchased the only book I could find, Ahead of All Parting. I haven't given it my best effort but I have found it difficult. . . and unlike the things I'd heard quoted.

Anyway, Chesterton is great. Have you also read Malcolm Muggeridge?

Loved,
                                Highly recommend the "Letters to a Young Poet."
                                Roughly a dozen letters written over a 2 year period when Rilke was in his mid 20's.... Some people I currently know decades older haven't approached his knowledge of life. Book can be read in one wonderful sitting, but I urge a slow read.
                                I have not read M. Muggeridge... Can you recommend a preferred title? NF or Fic?
                                Always looking for a read that is above me, if you know what I mean. Chesterton IS great, but the writings of a hundred years past along with his impressive comprehension of things, can make the going rough. And I'm not talking MS related issues, just a bit over my head.

Perhaps I should give Rilke another try.

Comment

Working...
                                X