No announcement yet.

What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right now, I'm reading "Paranoia" by Joseph Finder. I think I might have read it before, but it's good enough for a re-read if I had devoured it previously. Also listening to "Harry Potter - the Deathly Hallows".

For those of you who have read & like James Patterson's books (I've met Jim several times and he is as nice as his books are good - he comes into where I work to interview just about every time he publishes a new book), try the following authors:

Jeffrey Deaver - DYING for his next book... (would like to meet him too)

Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb - She's a real sweetie, and comes in every year. Nora Roberts books are generally romance - J.D. Robb books are more of my reading taste.

David Baldacci - super nice guy (has come into work a few times), super good reads.

Vince Flynn - Also a nice guy, and love his books too!

Erica Spinder - Would love to meet her eventually, but would like her next book out soon - can't put her books down.

Oh, my - the list goes on - Jack Kerley, Stephen Cannell, Harlan Coben, Tami Hoag. Whenever I see a book from them, I automatically grab it.

However - If I see a book from Stuart Woods, I walk the other way. The books might have been decent, but he's such an *****. Nobody who've ever spent more than 3 minutes with him realizes that he is soooooo full of himself...

Comment

Adam Bede - by George Eliot (1859)

-The audio download has been in the top 10 to 20 on Project Gutenberg for the past several months. http://www.gutenberg.org
      RRMS: dx:March '07. Started CombiRx June 2007 - Avonex or Copaxone or Both; Study unblinded Nov.2011 - have been on only Copaxone.
      "e lascia pur grattar dov'e la rogna" (Dante "Divine Comedy")

Comment

A Vineyard in Tuscany: a wine lover's dream
        by Ferenc Mate ... fascinating and funny.
        Auntie Lori (SPMS, taking LDN since 8/04)
        Everything in life is a trade-off.

Comment

This isn't for book club, but i'm reading, 23 minutes in hell!!

Comment

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

Written by Mark Haddon. Just finished reading this book (I usually go for mysteries; Stephen White, Kathy Reichs,)
            Mark Haddon's book is brilliant! The book is written from the perspective of a 15 year old boy with autism. He really captures the thought process that some people with autism experience. Amazing.

Comment

I just ordered a book for my son called 'Biting the Wax tadpole; confessions of a language fanatic'.

I heard the author speaking on PBS and she was so knowledgeable but funny too.

My son is on an assignment in an Asian country and he has tried to learn the language. He said he's giving up as it would take a reincarnation into another life to figure out all the nuances of the language.

That's is pretty much what this book says too.

By the way..."Biting the Wax Tadpole'... is about how the makers of Coke named their product in China. Turns out the characters in Chinese for
              C-O-K-E meant biting the wax tadpole in chinese.

I bet there were some mighty puzzled looking faces when they picked up their bottle of COKE>

Diane
              You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

I'm reading "The Plague" by Albert Camus and "In The Moment" by Harvey Rich M.D.

I can't tell you much about either as I have just stated them DK

Comment

Donna Kay, I'm wondering how you liked "The Plague." It's been among my favorite books for many years.

I just finished "How Doctors Think" by Jerome Groopman, MD. It was very informative--and he doesn't gloss over the failings of the medical profession. He thinks that far too many spinal fusions are done, and he thinks that far more MRIs are being done than need to be.
                  MEMBER OF MS WORLD SINCE 4/03.

SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/4/07-5/15/10. Glatiramer acetate 40 mg (= Copaxone) 2021- 3/16/24

Comment

Originally posted by agate View Post
                    I just finished "How Doctors Think" by Jerome Groopman, MD. It was very informative--and he doesn't gloss over the failings of the medical profession. He thinks that far too many spinal fusions are done, and he thinks that far more MRIs are being done than need to be.
                    I want to read that book. Thanks for reminding me, I think I'll order it.

I'm rereading (actually listening this time around to an audio book because it's a long book) Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. Just hoping that Atlas doesn't shrug.

Comment

for one more day by Mitch Albom and the twelve original comic books (aka graphic novels), that comprise The Watchmen by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons.
                      dx June 1994
                      Tanstaafl !

Comment

I'm currently reading "An Inconvenient Wife." What a disturbing story! It's about the life of a woman living in upper class NYC in 1885 and all she entails. I guess you'd call it historical fiction.

I just ordered a couple of books about the post-depression era in the USA. "The Grapes of Wrath" and "Of Mice and Men" both by John Steinbeck.

I'm hoping one will arrive by the time I finish my current book.
                        Take care, Wiz
                        RRMS Restarted Copaxone 12/09

Comment

I'm reading, for our book club,

snowflower and the secret fan. This book caught my attention, right away. It's by lisa see.

The book is from 19th century china, about how women were treated, and the binding of their feet. It's unreal, that this went on. I say a must read.

Comment

May I have them Please!

Originally posted by av8rgirl View Post
                            Liz

I read that the other poster did not want them and I would very much like to have them.

I love to read and have been interested in reading her books, However, I don't have the money to get books very easily and would take very good care of them.

Let me know if this is okay.

Blessings.
                            Tanne
                            I have some of the books if you want them. I will check and see which ones I still have. If you are interested, I will send them to you. They are hilarious and fast reads!

Also, if anyone else wants any of them, I will list them.

Looks like the only one I have now is Ten Big Ones. I gave them to my MIL, and she will never read them. Too bad!

I read that! It is good! Very different perspective!

Comment

vampire books here right now...

I am reading Anita Blake Series, awesome books. I had read the Sookie Stackhouse novels and stayed on the vampire/shapeshifter path
                              After this I have lined up the Outlander series, my sister-in-law highly recommended them.

Comment

My list !

Just Finished:

For One More Day - Mitch Albom

In Progress:

The Day the Martians Came - Frederic Pohl
                                The Seven Minute Difference - Allyson Lewis

dx June 1994
                                Tanstaafl !

Comment

Working...
                                X