Salmon ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salmon ?

I am trying to get my Vit D levels up. I am taking a D-3 supplement but am looking for a more 'natural' way to get Vit D. I love being outside so I am doing as much as I can there.

I saw that salmon was high in Vit. D, but I don't have any recipes to fix it other than broiling it (which dh HATES). Does anyone have any other ways to fix salmon? And no, Sushi will NOT get it

I get frozen salmon burgers. They are pretty good. I've got a great salmon chowder recipe and a salmon patty recipe, but I will have to post those when I have more time. You might be able to google the salmon chowder recipe. It was in Cooking Light magazine a year or so ago.
    Portia

Comment

Thanks Portia. I will try those.

Do you know of anything else that tends to 'boost' Vit D? I think that I saw where tuna helped?

Comment

I saw that salmon was high in Vit. D, but I don't have any recipes to fix it other than broiling it (which dh HATES). Does anyone have any other ways to fix salmon? And no, Sushi will NOT get it [/QUOTE]

Hello!

I tend to steam Salmon fillets for 15-20 mins and serve with stir-fry vegetables.

Just the thought of it is making my mouth water

Kirsty

Comment

Thanks

Thanks all!

Portia - I tried the salmon burgers and hubby went back for 2nds!

Mrskj - I was at the store yesterday and picked up some fillets to try with stir-fry. Since he is used to seeing stir-frys as my 'lazy day' meals I should be able to pull that one off too .

If anyone else is interested, I read an article earlier that suggested dark green leafy vegetables were also helpful for raising vit. D levels.

Comment

I like buying the boneless, skinless red salmon and making salmon salad. Some mayo, pplan greek yogurt, pickle juice, onions and the salmon on toast or bread. Mmm

I would also look on AllRecipes for some salmon ideas, there are a lot of great ways to do it. I love garlic and lemon personally.

Comment

Salmon Casserole

I just made a salmon casserole last week (think tuna casserole-ish)

I took a can of wild caught salmon
              1 lb macaroni (cooked and drained)
              1 can cream of mushroom soup
              1/2 c. milk
              steamed broccoli
              cooked corn

topping:
              ritz crackers (crushed)
              Monterey jack cheese

I mixed all together, topped with the ritz crackers and cheese and baked in the oven for about 20 min at 350 or until it was warmed through and the cheese melted.

Hubby and kids loved it--even though they are not fond of tuna casserole--go figure!

Comment

Thanks hsmaldo

I made your Salmon Casserole today and it was Great !

I will admit that I added a couple of green onions to it ... (Please don't be offended - I am guilty of changing up EVERY recipe that I use)
                I considered adding additional salmon, but didn't - and it didn't need it. But I do think that I will add some of the cheese and crackers in the mix next time, as well as using for topping. Or maybe some cheese and an egg in the mix?

But what more can you ask for? Quick, Easy, Nutritious, Fairly inexpensive and Great taste. You sure picked a winner with this one . Even hubby liked it. Thanks.

Comment

msgijo--thank you so much! I'm glad you liked it and green onions--sounds like a great addition--and absolutely no offense--I've never met a recipe that I haven't tweaked or changed somehow!! If it was too dry, you could try additional milk, or plain greek yogurt or maybe even sour cream, even ricotta cheese might go well!

happy cooking!

Comment

Working...
                  X