Quinoa salad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quinoa salad

First, Cooking Quinoa - basically its 2:1 water:Quinoa – so 1 cup grain to 2 cups of water. That said, Quinoa swells 3x its size when cooked.
    Add Quinoa to water bring to a boil and then reduce heat - cook on med low for about 15 minutes until the water is absorbed (keep an eye on it the last 5 minutes and stir occasionally).
    Also, the Quinoa will continue to absorb a little fluid after it is cooked so if used in a salad, it will take on some dressing which is nice.

My Quinoa salad (serves 2 as a lunch or 4 as a side) easily doubled or tripled etc.
    These measures and the veggies are pretty random – I just chop and add till I feel its done!

1 cup cooked, cooled Quinoa
    2-3 chopped green onions
    ½ red onion cut in half again and sliced thin
    ¼ each of green, red and yellow or orange peppers
    1 ½ inch of cucumber cut up how you like it
    1 small tomato seeded and chopped (or a handful of cherry tomatoes quartered)
    ½ small zucchini chopped how you like it
    2 or 3 pitted dates chopped small (raisins work well too)
    A handful of dried cranberries or cherries is a nice addition
    1 or 2 small red super hot Vietnamese type peppers chopped super small (wear gloves they burn) – OPTIONAL of course! But the heat goes well with the sweet from the dried fruit and dressing.
    ½ can black bean or chick peas or lentils whatever you like (you can add chicken bits too if you prefer)
    A few sprigs of cilantro chopped small – again optional (parsley works too)

Dressing:
    ¼ cup olive oil
    ¼ cup vinegar (I use half rice vinegar and half balsamic or red wine)
    2 cloves garlic chopped or pressed
    ¼ tsp Dijon mustard
    A shot of honey or maple syrup
    The dressing is pretty much a add, shake and taste till you like it process
    OR – that blender bottle dressing recipe that Seasha posted here would be excellent too!

M
    “Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.”
    ~ Mark Twain . . .Or a typo on the Internet. Srsly.

Seasha to MizMeesha

This sounds good, MizMeesha... I love Quinoa! I never would have thought to add dates and other natural sweets. Will definitely have to try this!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Working...
    X