Question for PT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for PT

Is there anything I can do from my wheelchair to strengthen my legs?

I am getting so weak, and I just have to do something about it. Any suggestions?

Originally posted by gellexi View Post
    Is there anything I can do from my wheelchair to strengthen my legs?

I am getting so weak, and I just have to do something about it. Any suggestions?
    Hello gellexi ~

A portable pedal exerciser could be beneficial, but if your legs are still very spastic, not sure if that will work for you - until you get some of the spasticity relieved so that your knees are able to bend.

One of the simplest ways (but not always the easiest, with MS) to strengthen the legs is to do the basic sit to stand exercise.

The act of rising from the chair to get to the standing position strengthens the legs, core, and back.

I realize that in a previous post you have said that you are unable to stand, so until your PT resumes, please don't try this unless you have someone there to assist you.

Hopefully your therapist will get your legs stretched out, and then will help you get to a point whereby you are able to push yourself up to a standing position.

Gradually increasing the number of times that you push yourself up from sit to stand, and increasing the amount of time that you are able to stand, will strengthen your legs.

Reducing the severe spasticity (intense stretching, meds?) is essential, and will enable more exercise options for you, gellexi.

Hopefully it won't be long before you can resume the Physical Therapy.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi gellixi~

Here is also a video that shows ways to strengthen your legs while in a wheelchair - https://www.google.com/search?client...z0PEPgYmfmAI47

Hopefully these might help you until you get back to PT.
      ps. If you don't have a football, lol, roll up a thick towel.
      Hope this helps!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thank you Koko and Seasha for your suggestions. I watch the leg strengthening video, and even though I can barely move my legs, I try. I think half the battle is putting in the effort. The two guys in that video also have a leg-stretching-exercises-from-a-wheelchair video. Those exercises are passive, but I think I will benefit from them, too. In the meantime i can work on sit to stand. I can't stand, but I can definitely sit. So pushing off from the chair to "stand" is what I do. Again thank you so much for your help.

Comment

Thank you Koko and Seasha for your suggestions. I watch the leg strengthening video, and even though I can barely move my legs, I try. I think half the battle is putting in the effort. The two guys in that video also have a leg-stretching-exercises-from-a-wheelchair video. Those exercises are passive, but I think I will benefit from them, too. In the meantime i can work on sit to stand. I can't stand, but I can definitely sit. So pushing off from the chair to "stand" is what I do. Again thank you so much for your help.
          gellexi

If you don't mind my asking, are you able to use both arms, and both of your legs are affected?

I have right side hemiparesis (extreme weakness, little movement, not quite paralysis of right arm and right leg).

Thankfully my left side functions (not 100%, but functional, nontheless).
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I can use both arms, though they're a little weak. I pretty much can't use my legs at all.
            Maybe hemiparesis? First time I've ever heard that word, so I don't know for sure.

Comment

I can use both arms, though they're a little weak. I pretty much can't use my legs at all.
              Maybe hemiparesis? First time I've ever heard that word, so I don't know for sure.
              gellexi

According to the National MS Society Glossary:

Hemiparesis:

Weakness of one side of the body, including one arm and one leg.

Paraparesis:

A weakness but not total paralysis of the lower extremities (legs).

Comment

Looks like I have paraparesis for sure. Thanks for the info, Koko.

Comment

Working...
                X