Healthy Thai food?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Healthy Thai food?

A few of us at work are doing Thai Fridays. I'm trying to decide what my best option is. I love the veggie curries, but coconut milk is so caloric. I have to eat gluten-free because of celiac disease so anything with a brown sauces are out (usually have soy sauce or fish sauce and both contain gluten). Any suggestions?

FWIW, I never get any of the beef/pork options. I always go for shrimp or squid.

Coconut milk may be caloric, but it's good for you otherwise. Why not go ahead and have the sauces made with coconut milk, and cut calories elsewhere during the day?

Comment

OMG! I love Thai food.........none anywhere near where I live.

Have some curry for me.!!
      Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

I completely agree with Sequoia's comment here! I have found and use "lite coconut milk" and a wheat free soy sauce (tamari), so hopefully you can find them. Even small amts. of either of these products can give you a hint of Thai flavor.
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
          I completely agree with Sequoia's comment here! I have found and use "lite coconut milk" and a wheat free soy sauce (tamari), so hopefully you can find them. Even small amts. of either of these products can give you a hint of Thai flavor.
          That's right! I managed somehow to forget Tamari. In addition to being wheat-free, it has a richer taste than many soy sauces, so you don't need to use a lot of it to get good flavor.

Comment

I live for tamari. I've used San-J reduced sodium tamari since I went gluten-free about 6 years ago. My family's been going to the same Chinese restaurant for about 25 years, and the owners are family friends who now stock a few bottles of San-J for when my family comes in.

And yes, I had an absolutely delicious vegetable curry with squid yesterday for lunch. I ate just a tiny bit of the rice that came with it, so low guilt. There was more eggplant than usual which made it even better!

Thanks for telling me about the coconut milk... I had convinced myself the calories outweighed () any other nutritional benefits of the coconut milk. It was nice to have the nice lunch and not feel like every bite was "bad".

Comment

Don't bother with Lite coconut milk, the fat in CCM is a medium train triglyceride which bypasses digestion and goes directly into the blood stream and increases metabolism. This fat also has beneficial anti-fungal, anti-microbial properties.
              NutritionTara
              Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Working...
              X