GF info / books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GF info / books

I'm thinking about trying out the GF lifestyle. I've done some research online, read much of the nutrition forum threads here, etc.

For those of you who are GF, what are some good books you'd recommend about a gluten free diet and/or your favorite GF cookbook?

The best all-around book, IMHO:

The MS Recovery Diet
    by Ann D. Sawyer & Judith E. Bachrach (includes recipe section)

Traditional recipes:

The Gluten-Free Gourmet Cooks Fast and Healthy by Bette Hagman (and Hagman's other GFG cookbooks)

Trendy recipes:

Artisanal Gluten-Free Cooking by Peter Bronski

There are lots of gluten-free cookbooks out there. I'd suggest browsing through the cookbook section at a large bookstore or online for one that suits your food preferences (traditional, ethnic, etc.).

There's also an excellent online source for gluten-free recipes, G-Free Foodie:

http://www.gfreefoodie.com/

Click on "Recipes" at the top of the page, and you'll get a drop-down list of topics. Click on what you're looking for, say "Main Dishes"...and you'll get all the recipes for that topic.

Or you can use their search feature to find a particular recipe.

Comment

thanks Sequoia...Thanks for posting those links!

thanks CNE920...for posting the question!

I am going to give it a serious attempt this time...
      I think I've got my 'mind' aligned correctly this time...
      I gave in to too many 'forbiddens' last time I tried...

I think my 'Achilles Heel' is sweet stuff...deserts etc...
      ~life has ups and downs...I try to go in circles~
      dx'd rrms in '97

Comment

Originally posted by Anomalie View Post
        You can still have sweet stuff on a gluten-free diet...there are lots of GF dessert recipes on the G-Free Gourmet site. There are also many prepared GF sweet treats to be found in whole foods stores and even supermarkets.

Not that I'm trying to tempt you or anything!

Comment

I was craving something sweet the other night and made up a sweet little treat that hit the spot. I tossed pecans in honey, sprinkled a little sea salt on them and roasted them in the oven for about 10 mins. Yummy!
          Opiegirl, Dx 1991
          Have never used DMD's.

LDN 9/2011-9/2012 & just started again 6/14
          Estriol 9/12-present
          Still Hopeful.

Comment

Everything baked, etc. can be replicated GF. I've found that the GF cook books incorporate lots of thickeners etc. that I don't keep or want to keep on the shelf.

So, typically i just modify regular recipes. The best universal GF flour is white rice. Brown rice works well too and is healthier. When using the GF flours typically more moisture is needed in the recipe. Yeast breads are the most difficult, but using some near short bread recipes- pizza crust etc. can be made.

A quick way towards GF baking etc. is the use of GF baking mixes. The Pamela's baking mix is incredible. I add ground flax to it and can create awesome baked items.
            Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Comment

gluten free is great

Since my diagnosis 6 weeks ago, I went gluten free, mostly to give myself some control over SOMETHING in this adventure.

I have lost weight (and needed to) and feel good. I have energy, and still feel some control in a spiralling world. I believe that by going gf, I have gotten away from prepared food, and all the additives, preservatives, and lots of extra sugars that I was getting, even though I thought I was a healthy eater.

I made a gf "cake" tonight, first one... it was great. I found it on http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/des.../kingscake.htm

So I am wishing you good luck, and great results on your gf journey. Keep us posted. It is from these posts I get inspiration and keep my consistency, so thank you.
              You are in the driver's seat, but God is holding the map

Comment

We went on a GF diet about four years ago because of my husband being celiac. The biggest change was bread. . . but I bake a great loaf of GF bread using a combination of flours. Nothing will ever compete with the taste of wheat flour IMO but we have been very thankful to find a solution to my husband's illness that is dietary.

Hagman's cookbooks give you some basic recipes that can be modified. She gives flour mix recipes as well as recipes for making things like cream of mushroom soup for using in casseroles.

The celiac website also has some great alternative flour bread recipes and other resources. I wish you well.

Comment

Working...
                X