How do they check for Vit D levels etc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do they check for Vit D levels etc?

How do they check for vitamin levels (Vit D etc)? I figure in blood work but is it a routine part of any particular blood panel (like a chem or lipid panel) or does it have to be requested specifically by the doctor?

Thanks in advance for your input.
    Susie

Eph 3:20-21

Yes, your Vitamin D level is tested by blood work. It's not part of routine panels, though...your doctor has to request it.

Comment

Sequoia, I also want to express my appreciation for all the many EXCELLENT posts you have here on this forum. There are some terrific, knowledgable, informative, and encouraging folks here and you are up there at the top of my "hero" list....along with Tara and so many others.

Thank you.
      Susie

Eph 3:20-21

Comment

Aw shucks, bammaw...you're too kind.

Comment

Ditto Sequoia, you're the best.

I just had my blood drawn for a Vit. D and B test. Haven't got the results yet. Question: What should our level's be?

Sometimes what is "normal" for most isn't normal for us MSers.
          Opiegirl, Dx 1991
          Have never used DMD's.

LDN 9/2011-9/2012 & just started again 6/14
          Estriol 9/12-present
          Still Hopeful.

Comment

Originally posted by opiegirl View Post
            I just had my blood drawn for a Vit. D and B test. Haven't got the results yet. Question: What should our level's be?

Sometimes what is "normal" for most isn't normal for us MSers.
            The normal range for serum Vitamin D is 34-70 ng/mL (nanograms per milliliter). (Web MD)

The normal range for Vitamin B12 is 200-900 pg/mL (picograms per milliliter). (Medline Plus)

As for what our levels should be as MSers, there isn't a universally accepted answer.

Here's some info about B12 and MS:

http://ms.about.com/od/livingwellwit...itamin_b12.htm

About D and MS:

http://ms.about.com/od/livingwellwithms/a/vitamin_D.htm

I'd suggest doing a search online for other sources of info, since the recommendations differ. Ultimately, you'll have to make your own decision (along with your health care provider) about how much B12 &/or D to supplement.

For example, the dosage of D recommended in the link above seems too conservative to me, and I do take more myself...but I'm not an expert.

Comment

Since the body can store B12 for years, resulting in a long lag time between low levels and a measurable deficiency, vit B12 and folate levels can be evaluated with a CBC- complete blood count. Results pointing to a B12, folate deficiency would be: low hemoglobin, low RBCs, and elevated MCV- mean corpuscular volume...large red blood cells (there being made so fast because of a deficiency they are young and large). So I always read these to pinpoint B12, folate problems first.
              NutritionTara
              Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Working...
              X