GF diet & the expense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GF diet & the expense

An e-zine I receive focuses today on the high cost of a GF diet and ways to reduce the expense.

http://www.debtproofliving.com/DPLRe...t/Default.aspx

I highly recommend subscribing to Mary Hunt's email list. She shares many valuable tips on a wide variety of subjects, from financial planning to meal planning to laundry stain removal.
    DX 10/2008
    Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
    Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
    Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Thank you for this!

I posted the link on the Basic Health Matters forum too, where they have a thread discussing going GF.

Comment

Toomnyhats

Been a subsriber to Mary Hunt's online newsletter (DPL) for many years (and snail mail prior to that!). Great resource!. Glad you mentioned her here. Thanks!
      Susie

Eph 3:20-21

Comment

The way to reduce the cost of a "non-gluten" diet is to eat whole foods. Vegetables, fruits, proteins, quality fats......there is no place in a nutrition plan for expensive Pamela's gluten free cookies or frozen rice pizza crusts.
        I'm not saying these products aren't delicious or that I never use these; just that gluten free means no packaged foods.
        Proper nutrition means no packaged foods.
        NutritionTara
        Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Originally posted by nutritiontara View Post
          The way to reduce the cost of a "non-gluten" diet is to eat whole foods. Vegetables, fruits, proteins, quality fats......there is no place in a nutrition plan for expensive Pamela's gluten free cookies or frozen rice pizza crusts.
          I'm not saying these products aren't delicious or that I never use these; just that gluten free means no packaged foods.
          Proper nutrition means no packaged foods.
          This is so true! Thank you for stating it so clearly.

I'll admit to using packaged gluten free items occasionally as "treats"...but I stick to whole foods for everyday eating. My diet is simple but varied & tasty, not to mention pretty inexpensive.

Comment

I have to agree that GF foods are expensive however, I believe all processed foods are not good for you and really should be avoided. I eat basically whole foods and will treat myself with on ocassion with a GF pizza or such.
            ~joni
            Diagnosed with RRMS in 2006 but plagued with symptoms for 25 years. Currently taking no medications, treating with diet and supplements only and successfully.

Comment

Agreed!

I have LOWERED my food allowance since going gluten-free. I also buy organic. I invested in a wok and stir fry vegetables each day. During the summer I will eat fresh fruit and salads; during the winter I will stir fry or make "soup" pots. I have invested in a collection of organic herbs. I have also gone vegan and I don't have a desire to eat as much. I am healtier and have more energy. I don't know if I may want to eat a little fish or maybe chichen sometime in the next year. Right now for me, gluten-free is working.
              Positive Possibilities

Comment

Working...
              X