• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Study Confirms Gluten Sensitivity

From the Wall Street Journal/Health Journal:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...522456636.html

Here's a short excerpt:

For the first time, we have scientific evidence that indeed, gluten sensitivity not only exists, but is very different from celiac disease," says lead author Alessio Fasano, medical director of the University of Maryland's Center for Celiac Research.

Confirms it for me...glad I've gone gluten free. Thanks for posting the link to the article, I've sent it to a couple of friends.
    Opiegirl, Dx 1991
    Have never used DMD's.

LDN 9/2011-9/2012 & just started again 6/14
    Estriol 9/12-present
    Still Hopeful.

Comment

Gluten sensitive

I really appreciate that news. I've been on an experimental journey eliminating gluten and many processed foods from my diet. I've even reverted to grass fed beef and Wild Pacific Salmon, Halibut, & Cod. I will try a small garden this year, hopefully the seeds are not GE or GMO. That kind of stuff scares me, plus I think it's already here Whats a gal to do?

Comment

Thank you for the article link Sequoia. It states the prevalence maybe 1 in 20.
        I tell ya "everyone is gluten sensitive" they just don't know it!
        This drives the RDs and "nutritionists" nuts. The believe we have to have grains in our diets to be healthy. BS!
        The MOST important fiber to include is vegetable and fruit fiber, grain fiber is completely unnecessary!
        All of you whom have embraced GF are ahead of the game, congratulations.
        NutritionTara
        Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

symptoms of Gluyrn sensitivity

Are there specific symptoms of gluten sensitivity? If yes, how does it manifest itself?
          Susie

Eph 3:20-21

Comment

Gluten sensitivity can create numerous symptoms; many of which can be passd off as something else. Diarrhea, bloating, fatigue, weight gain ???sounds like symptoms that plague many Americans. The point being its very difficult to identify by symptoms and usually goes undiagnosed by the medical community--suprise? no, its a nutritional problem and doctors aren't trained to spot those.
            20+ years have taught me the only way to truly see if gluten is affecting your health is to eliminate it for a minimum of 30days, 60 if your over 30 and then conduct a challenge.
            You've been living in this body with health issues for how many years? Whats 60 more days?
            I take 95% of my patients (in the first visit) OFF gluten. Yes I've been called a whack job. But the most common statement from returning patients is, "I did feel a lot better when I wasn't eating gluten".
            Very little can be accomplished, towards better health, without proper absorption! Its the minimum starting point.
            NutritionTara
            Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Originally posted by bammaw View Post
              Are there specific symptoms of gluten sensitivity? If yes, how does it manifest itself?
              AS advised by Tara I cut gluten out of my diet and then had to "test" it to "see" if it was really making a difference.
              The answer is: definitely. I don't have extreme problems when I have gluten, but certainly I'm sensitive to it. For me, the symptoms are: more gas, bloating, more acid reflux & shortness of breath (probably caused by the increased reflux).

Comment

Originally posted by nutritiontara View Post
                . [I]Yes I've been called a whack job.[/B]
                Or worse?
                I can remember refering to you as a "Gluten Nazi", but two and a half years later I am still gluten free....

Thanks for being here.

Comment

Thanks for posting this- great article! I have gone gluten free for 2 months now and it is amazing how much it helps. I have a question- does anyone know anything about "hidden gluten?" I know to watch out for wheat products, but are there other words/terms I should be looking for? I sometimes think it is hidden in things that I am not aware of.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellanor View Post
                    Thanks for posting this- great article! I have gone gluten free for 2 months now and it is amazing how much it helps. I have a question- does anyone know anything about "hidden gluten?" I know to watch out for wheat products, but are there other words/terms I should be looking for? I sometimes think it is hidden in things that I am not aware of.
                    Malt, barley, barley malt, rye. Soy sauce has gluten in it unless it says it's GF. I buy Tamari, which is GF. A lot of the asian sauces will have gluten in them. A lot of RAnch dressings have it as well.

Comment

Here are a couple of resources for finding "hidden gluten" in foods:

http://www.celiacsolution.com/hidden-gluten.html

http://www.celiac.com/articles/182/1...nts/Page1.html

Comment

WOW!!! Gluten is everywhere!!! Thanks for the links!!

Comment

Working...
                        X