Inflammation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inflammation

How do we know when a food is causing inflammation?? All this is sooo confusing to me.

What are some foods that contain Gluten - is wheat one of them? If so, what bread can you eat - white is bad for you.. So I guess that leaves Whole Grain - does that have Gluten to? Dr Oz swears by Wheat..says its more healthy for you.

No milk, not even organic, no gluten, no potatoes - I eat more sweet potatoes than potatoes.

Ms Jay

Gluten Free and Inflammation

Hi, Dr. Weil has an inflammatory diet and I have a new friend that has Celiac Disease and there are many things she cannot have. Her's is really bad. I have started using a sprouted grain bread that is flourless. I also look at the organic section in the grocery store. I purchased grass fed beef,gluten free Penne Pasta,an organic sauce with dandelion. I just added 2 TBSP of chopped onion in my fry pan with 3 TBSP extra virgin olive oil & ground beef sauted til brown then added sauce. I cooked the Penne Pasta drained and returned to pan and added cooked sauce with meat. Yummmmy

Comment

Hi there, Ms. Jay,
      Yes, wheat has gluten. Almost anything processed has gluten, crackers, bread,croutons....and gluten is hidden in a lot of things. You can find gluten free products, some grocery store chains are starting to carry them, but you can mainly find them at health food stores.

I have recently gone gluten and dairy free and I am feeling much better all around. I am reading the book called "The Paleo Solution, The original human diet" by Robb Wolf. Basically the caveman diet. It is very informative and makes a lot of sense. I am going to try it for 30 days and see how I feel. My husband is going to do it with me, so that will help make it not seem so bad, (hard).

I go back to see the Neurologist on May 2nd to get the blood work back for the JCV. I am considering starting Tysabri, but I don't want to! Deep in my heart of hearts I feel like MS is caused by something environmental and my diet is one thing I can control, so I am going to try the Paleo diet and see how I feel.
      This is my opinion and some may say I am foolish, but I have to give it a try.
      Opiegirl
      Opiegirl, Dx 1991
      Have never used DMD's.

LDN 9/2011-9/2012 & just started again 6/14
      Estriol 9/12-present
      Still Hopeful.

Comment

Originally posted by futurmil2b View Post
        What are some foods that contain Gluten - is wheat one of them? If so, what bread can you eat - white is bad for you.. So I guess that leaves Whole Grain - does that have Gluten to? Dr Oz swears by Wheat..says its more healthy for you.
        All breads made from wheat flour contain gluten. It doesn't matter whether the bread is white or whole wheat.

Whole wheat breads are better for you nutritionally than white breads in other ways, but they still have gluten.

There's a variety of gluten-free breads on the market now. They're available in whole food stores, health food stores, and many supermarkets. Sometimes they're kept in the frozen food section, sometimes not.

These breads are better toasted than not, in my experience at least. Some of them are pretty good, some not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by KittiKatz View Post
          I have started using a sprouted grain bread that is flourless.
          If any of the grains that are sprouted to make the bread contain gluten (such as wheat, rye and barley), the bread isn't acceptable for a gluten-free diet.

"Flourless" doesn't necessarily mean gluten-free.

Comment

Originally posted by futurmil2b View Post
            How do we know when a food is causing inflammation?? All this is sooo confusing to me.
            Most likely you can't tell if a food is causing inflammation. Only if you've been on a fairly "limited" plan you 'might' feel the inflammation if you added a new food. There are lists which give ratings of a food's inflammation...place to start.

simple: gluten is in wheat, rye and barley- whole or refined doesn't have anything to do with gluten

No milk, not even organic, no gluten, no potatoes - I eat more sweet potatoes than potatoes.
            I take adults off liquid milk. You loose the enzymes to digest after the hormonal change of puberty- but most adults can tolerate kefir, yogurt, hard cheeses - "cultured dairy"

Ms Jay
            --------------------
            NutritionTara
            Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Opiegirl,
              I find myself responding to you again...have you ever heard of a DR.Terry Wahls? You can Google her and she has a Face Book site and is on You Tube.She has MS and swears by diet. I find her quite neat, can't say I agree on everything or ever could or would do all she believes but it's all more info.

Comment

NutritionData.com

The goal for MSers is to get 200+ IFs daily, you can and should eat some inflammatory foods you just need to counter them with anti-inflammatory foods. AND SPICES!

My theory it that there are two powerful reasons to go anti-inflammatory, one you can feel and the other you can not.

1. A good diet works like a DMD, and helps decrease MS progression.
                You can not feel it, you just have to trust it is happening.
                By reducing inflammation of the blood brain barrier, it is reducing the passage of T-cells to enter the brain.
                Also by reducing inflammation the damage from immune system attacks is reduced.

2. I believe diet is a pseudo exacerbation trigger, just like heat, stress, cold, and etc.
                Just like heat is not a trigger for everyone, so is inflammatory foods.
                Also just like cold is not a trigger for everyone, so is gluten.
                And just like heat is a more common trigger then cold, so is inflammation more common then gluten.

Now because a person can be triggering several times a day and it stays in their system for some time, the symptoms are none stop and seem like their normal MS status.
                Instead of something that would stop within 24 hours, like normal pseudo exacerbation.

Also I believe each pseudo exacerbation trigger has their own system they worsen.
                For example for me;
                Heat = balance, ON, and speech.
                Stress = tingling
                Inflammatory diet = ON and fatigue.
                Gluten and Cold = nothing noticeable
                Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

Originally posted by bluenose95 View Post
                  Opiegirl,
                  I find myself responding to you again...have you ever heard of a DR.Terry Wahls? You can Google her and she has a Facebook site and is on You Tube.She has MS and swears by diet. I find her quite neat, can't say I agree on everything or ever could or would do all she believes but it's all more info.
                  Thanks Blue, I'll check her out.
                  Opiegirl, Dx 1991
                  Have never used DMD's.

Estriol 9/12-present
                  Still Hopeful.

Comment

Originally posted by opiegirl View Post
                    I have recently gone gluten and dairy free and I am feeling much better all around. I am reading the book called "The Paleo Solution, The original human diet" by Robb Wolf. Basically the caveman diet.
                    Opiegirl
                    This really struck me as funny.....you can hate me now!!!

Why would a caveman-like diet be good? From what I know about cavemen...they didn't live very long (I could be wrong though!). This just gave me my chuckle for the day. I might have to read that book now!!! LOL! Just to find out.

I'm really not trying to be mean or discouraging...it just tickled my funny bone and I really appreciate it! Laughter, after all, (and according to some) the BEST medicine!

I'm not perfect....just forgiven!

Comment

Originally posted by rstowhee View Post
                      This really struck me as funny.....you can hate me now!!!

Why would a caveman-like diet be good? From what I know about cavemen...they didn't live very long (I could be wrong though!). This just gave me my chuckle for the day. I might have to read that book now!!! LOL! Just to find out.

I'm really not trying to be mean or discouraging...it just tickled my funny bone and I really appreciate it! Laughter, after all, (and according to some) the BEST medicine!

I take no offense. You should read the book, it is very informative and makes a lot of sense.

The human race went from being a Hunter/Gatherer society to an Agricultural society about 10,000 years ago. That is when degenerative disease was introduced into the human race and has been running rampant ever since.

I don't claim it to be or do anything but make me feel better. Better digestion, better concentration and an overall feeling of better well being.

Check it out.
                      Opiegirl, Dx 1991
                      Have never used DMD's.

Estriol 9/12-present
                      Still Hopeful.

Comment

Originally posted by opiegirl View Post
                        I take no offense. You should read the book, it is very informative and makes a lot of sense.

The human race went from being a Hunter/Gatherer society to an Agricultural society about 10,000 years ago. That is when degenerative disease was introduced into the human race and has been running rampant ever since.

I don't claim it to be or do anything but make me feel better. Better digestion, better concentration and an overall feeling of better well being.

Check it out.
                        Yea.... now I'm gonna have to buy another book (LOL!!!). Geesh!

In all seriousness though, I've been reading where people are swollowing a certain type of intestinal worm because our 'cleanliness' has destroyed it and we see it as a parasite. There appears to be some data stating that the re-introduction of it into the human body restores the balance.

I bet those cuddly cavemen had worms! Sorry...having a good day!
                        I'm not perfect....just forgiven!

Comment

Gluten free/flourless bread

Originally posted by Sequoia View Post
                          If any of the grains that are sprouted to make the bread contain gluten (such as wheat, rye and barley), the bread isn't acceptable for a gluten-free diet.

"Flourless" doesn't necessarily mean gluten-free.
                          Sorry Sequoia, I'm still learning about gluten free items. I'm finding out about the hidden gluten in many items. Even reading labels sometimes finds me pondering what else do I need to find out. I don't know for a fact if I'm just gluten sensitive or what else it could be. Food allergies? The bread factor is if I eat more than one serving, I continue to be hungry for more of the same. That and sugar, it never gives me the energy I crave always slowing me down to a snails pace.

Comment

Working...
                          X