Gluten free and feeling WORSE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prior to my first attack and diagnosis, I had never had any MS symptoms. I didn't have food allergies, I was active, never got sick, and I had lots of energy. Since my first attack, which completely subsided, my only symptom has fatigue and it hasn't been so bad - until recently.

I went gluten free about 10 days ago and since then, Ive been feeling much worse. Now I have balance issues and I just feel unwell. Is this normal or has happened to anyone else?

How long ago was your attack and diagnosis?

When I went gluten free, I really didn't feel much different. Once I eliminated legumes, I felt better. Then the reduction of oxalate foods and adjustments to supplements took me up a notch towards feeling even better.

I can't imaging what about being GF would make you feel worse, but it depends on what you are getting out of the rest of your diet, stress, rest, etc...

Whatever it is I hope you feel better soon.
    Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Comment

I went Gluten free a few months ago because I was feeling awful and felt even worse after I had eliminated the gluten. I was eating a lot of dairy to compensate for the comfort food I was not eating. I couldn't figure out what was wrong, why did I feel so bad? I came across a website that said"try dairy free" for 10 days, so I did. I felt so much better in just two days! I started eating gluten again and didn't notice anything.

How about you? Were you feeling bad before you went gluten free? Do you still eat dairy?
      Opiegirl, Dx 1991
      Have never used DMD's.

LDN 9/2011-9/2012 & just started again 6/14
      Estriol 9/12-present
      Still Hopeful.

Comment

I was just diagnosed in January. Except for my one bad attack and some fatigue, I've always felt completely fine. I haven't really been eating or drinking more of anything to compensate.

Comment

Hi Mamamamama.

Stick with the gluten free for at least 30 days. Often when we stop eating foods that our body has been exposed to for years there is a period of adjustment time. I'd also recommend to verify that you are, in fact, eating gluten free. Especially in processed foods it's really sneaky how the gluten gets in the food. Check for things like maltodextrin, malt, etc. I've been gluten free since shortly after my diagnosis 7 years ago. I truly believe that it is the pillar of my success, indeed, my thriving, with MS. I agree with Twenty Miles: what other things are going on in your life right now?

Keep up the changes! You can do this!

Comment

Originally posted by Mamamamama View Post
            I was just diagnosed in January. Except for my one bad attack and some fatigue, I've always felt completely fine. I haven't really been eating or drinking more of anything to compensate.
            If you had a severe attack in January, I would be surprised that you full recovered from that by now. I had residual problems from my first attack for just about the first year and still deal with symptoms from that attack to this day (since 2004).
            Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Comment

Originally posted by Twenty Miles View Post
              If you had a severe attack in January, I would be surprised that you full recovered from that by now. I had residual problems from my first attack for just about the first year and still deal with symptoms from that attack to this day (since 2004).
              The attack was in October and then I was diagnosed in January - it took 8 weeks to get the spinal tap results. I had fully recovered from the attack by the time I was diagnosed. All the numbness and tingling went away and I felt normal except some fatigue.

I've been checking every label for gluten-free and staying away from it if it doesn't say specifically or if I'm unfamiliar with an ingredient. Plus, I felt normal before going gluten free so even if I did get a little gluten, wouldn't I just feel better or the same?

I've read a little about gluten-withdrawal and maybe that's what I have. I'm definitely sticking with it for at least 6 weeks and if I'm still not feeling well, I'll reconsider. Thank you all for your feedback!

Comment

Originally posted by Mamamamama View Post
                Prior to my first attack and diagnosis, I had never had any MS symptoms. I didn't have food allergies, I was active, never got sick, and I had lots of energy. Since my first attack, which completely subsided, my only symptom has fatigue and it hasn't been so bad - until recently.

I went gluten free about 10 days ago and since then, Ive been feeling much worse. Now I have balance issues and I just feel unwell. Is this normal or has happened to anyone else?
                Its unfortunate your feeling worse. That usually isn't the case. It is a drastic change, you could be having a die-off (most likely). Some people experience constipation a bit into it because they no longer have a mucusy coating on the bowel wall and the bowel has to strengthen to move things. I hope you start feeling better soon.
                NutritionTara
                Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Working...
                X