Question about MILK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about MILK

I absolutely LOVE milk !!! Since getting only powdered milk as a child so the "babies" could get the real thing I love milk. Recently after my brother was dx with cancer (and he is one of the healthier in habits), I checked out healthier choices.

I've recently gone to "Organic" milk...but not just organic but also grass fed/all grazing cows...this is very important because it produces the proper balanced Omega-3/Omega-6 that is missing in common milk. Organic Pasture Fed milk is Ultra-pasteurized and so rich I easily went from 2% (my usual) to 1% and it tastes great...

Tara, is this an OK option when considering milk as a NO-NO??? I can go gluten-free but I don't think I can do completely without milk
    Debbie

I grew up as big milk drinker, but last I switched to a healthy diet.
    And thought switching from milk would be hard, but was not.
    I found rice milk and almond milk, different but not too much different.

Because I believe in a balanced diet and what you drink is a large part of your diet, so I’m starting to drink a variety of healthy drinks.

My current list includes,

Carrot juice (Highly anti-inflammatory)
    Orange juice
    Almond milk (plan, vanilla, or dark chocolate)
    The almond dark chocolate is just as good at chocolate cow’s milk if not better to me, and it should be healthier.

Rice milk
    Green tea
    Water (I like ice water)
    Unsweetened Ice tea
    Pomegranate/blueberry juice
    And a little alcoholic drink is healthy in some ways
    Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

Wow! out where we live all the cows are pastured..so it was news to me that a selling point in organic milk is that they are "pastured."

After doing some reading I find that you are right and that the dairy industry has apparently prostituted itself just like the beef industry.

That is why I raise my own beef and buy whole milk from the farmer down the road.

Sad.
      Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

If you crave ("LOVE") a particular food and feel you can't do without it, there's a chance you are sensitive/allergic to it. Food cravings may be a telltale sign of sensitivity.

Tara usually says that milk is best consumed in predigested (cultured) forms such as yogurt, kefir, cottage cheese and cheese, rather than drunk as a beverage. I imagine organic milk from grass-fed cows would be preferable to the regular stuff, but it would still be better not to drink it.

Hopefully Tara will be along soon to answer for herself.

From the standpoint of the MS diets which eliminate dairy products altogether, I can't see how organic/grass-fed would make a difference.

Comment

here's the dope on liquid milk: most adults have problems digesting it. Some adults who continue to drink it through puberty and beyond - have less problems digesting it. If you were sitting in front of me at my office I would say, "I would rather you completely eliminate all gluten and continue to have some milk".
          You have investigated your source and have made smart choices there - GJ!
          NutritionTara
          Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Working...
          X