No announcement yet.

Wish me luck- diet study.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So happy for you CoCo! I will be very interested in your progress with the diet study.

I would love to be involved with this type of study, but from what I've read, it is for relapsing remitting MS'ers. I have been labled as Progressive, thank goodness I am able to work full time and my symptoms are managable. Maybe there will be studies for progressive MS someday also. I am willing to be a part of any type of advancement research for the help to minimize this darn disease!

Best of luck to you and keep us posted on your journey!!
    Fall down seven times....get up eight!

Comment

Originally posted by Sequoia View Post
      I followed the McDougall diet for a while in the late '80s. I had all his books (at that point) too. He makes a very good case, IMO.

The diet is varied, tasty and really very doable.

Best of luck to you!
      It really is doable. Going through his program really showed me that. I've already made some of the easy recipes & my husband even likes them!
      If you are interested, he has a new book coming out next year called The Starch Solution.

Comment

Originally posted by IowaGirl View Post
        So happy for you CoCo! I will be very interested in your progress with the diet study.

I would love to be involved with this type of study, but from what I've read, it is for relapsing remitting MS'ers. I have been labled as Progressive, thank goodness I am able to work full time and my symptoms are managable. Maybe there will be studies for progressive MS someday also. I am willing to be a part of any type of advancement research for the help to minimize this darn disease!

Best of luck to you and keep us posted on your journey!!
        It is for RRMS. I too hope they will come up with something for Progressive MS. Possibilly trying a diet like this could still ease your symptoms?

I'll keep you all posted.

Comment

Couple of side notes

I am still doing G-free as well. I think Tara is right about gluten & the immune system "behaving badly" (with gluten). In addition, it does cause more GI problems for me.
          Secondly, my cholestrol at the beginning of my week at the McDougall Center was 152. One week later it had dropped to 120. My blood pressure also dropped a bit even though I already have really low blood pressure.

Comment

Coco - how are you doing on the study? Are you still participating?

Comment

Originally posted by BigA View Post
              Coco - how are you doing on the study? Are you still participating?
              Hello Big A,
              I'm sad to say that I'm no longer participating. I'll try to make a very long story short. I found that remaining Gluten Free (which I know helps me) and then adding Vegan and low fat was just too darn much. What ended up happening (after the initial honeymoon period) was that I wasn't doing any of it well. If it would've been the Swank Diet, I could've done it, but this one was just too much. Also, for me, it actually upset my GI tract more. Maybe the legumes?? I have no idea, but it's a thought.
              Also, my husband had a heart attack (at age 40) one week after my diet training. He is now doing well. WE are very, very lucky. Apparently, it's fairly rare for people to survive a sudden cardiac arrest outside of a hospital. Anyway, with all of that my life has really been turned upside down & there have been lots of changes. I think adding the diet to all of the changes was just too daunting.
              I've been off the diet for a couple of weeks & am doing well. I still eat a lot of "McDougall friendly" meals and I'm still Gfree. Luckily, I"m not having any problems with adding a little animal protein back into my diet.

How are you, Big A?

Comment

Coco - I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. That's really young. But I'm glad that he survived against the odds.

I'm still on the OMS diet. I actually enjoy it and don't think I would want to go back. Meat disgusts me (though a processed meats such as ham and sausage still look wonderful). I've never felt healthier. I'm not sure whether I've progessed or not. It's all so different and some days my legs feel heavy and some days not. Some days I have trouble typing, some not. And I think I'm gradually forgetting what I used to be like. I'm certian I've lost a few IQ points and wait.. You asked me how i'm doing and I'm ranting... I'm actually doing well, though I obsess about the small problems.

I have this theory about the diets, that they all lower inflammation, so depending on ones taste, they're all beneficial. What you actually tried to do, was combine all of them and that's really difficult.

I hope your husband is recovering well. Drop me a line sometime, I've left my email address in my profile.

Comment

Working...
                X