Ensure & Boost style Protein drinks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ensure & Boost style Protein drinks?

I have been losing weight and even thou it was unplanned; I feel it is explained by my new healthy diet and increased energy form Ampyra and sinus surgery.

But my wife was concerned about my weight loss, and got me some "Ensure, plus", protein drinks two weeks ago.
    Now she is no longer concerned, I wondering I should keep drinking a protein drink?

I feel that maybe I should keep drinking them.
    Not for weight management, but because I feel I’m not getting a proper amount of protein to have a healthy testosterone level.

I know if for no other reason, do to their high sugar content, they are not the best answer.

But for someone that does not eat breakfast most days, I’m thinking for me it may be a good answer.
    Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

I know that some people with advanced MS who have difficulty swallowing do drink Ensure, but you're not in that category (thankfully!).

I'm pretty sure Tara has offered suggestions for high protein powders and for weight gain...have you done an Advanced Search yet?

Why don't you eat breakfast most mornings? If there isn't some sort of compelling reason, that's a whole meal of calories & protein you're missing!

I hope you find some answers that work for you. Losing too much weight isn't a good thing.

Comment

I never been a big into breakfast, not liking eggs I’m sure has something to do with that.

My main reason right now is time; I currently wake at 6:00am and just make it to work on time.
      And the thought of getting up earlier to eat breakfast and/or exercise, is not a pleasant thought.
      I do snack all morning at work on fruit, nuts and etc. so I’m totally going without.

I’m not under weight, at 5’10”, medium build and 170-175lbs; I’m still about 10 lbs over weight going by the general guide lines.
      I still have a little spear tire, but it is now a flat inner tub.

I’m fine tuning my diet to increase my protein, but I wondering if I should boost with Boost.

Comment

If you do a search of past threads we talked about protein drinks not too long ago.

Having tasted Boost....and finding it less than appealing to me I was curious and did a search on the ingredients and here they are.

Boost Ingredients:
        (Vanilla) Water, sugar, corn syrup solids, milk protein concentrate, vegetable oil (canola, high oleic sunflower, corn oils) and less than 0.5% of soy lecithin, carrageenan, salt, natural and artificial flavor, vitamin A palmitate, beta-carotene, ascorbic acid, sodium ascorbate, vitamin D3, vitamin E acetate, thiamine hydrochloride, riboflavin, niacinamide, vitamin B6 hydrochloride, folic acid, choline bitartrate, vitamin B12, biotin, calcium pantothenate, vitamin K1, calcium carbonate, ferrous sulfate, potassium iodide, magnesium phosphate, zinc sulfate, cupric sulfate, potassium citrate, potassium chloride, sodium selenite, chromic chloride, sodium molybdate, manganese sulfate. Contains milk protein and soy.

** I would be stopped at the whole sugar, corn oil, corn syrup thing.

As an alternative you can make a great high protein wonderful smoothie every morning with no sugar and no additives or preservatives or corn syrup!!. Your local health store or gym will have a huge array of protein powders to choose from including non lactose if you are intolerant.

Throw in whatever juice you want or milk, ice and lots of fruits and you have something you can be proud to drink! You can add all the vitamins and nutrients you want.

Talk to any serious body builder and he/she can tell you the best tasting protein powder. Some are much tastier than others.
        Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

Sir-voor, You always have good input in this forum. I'm a little/lot perplexed as to why (given the list of ingredients) you would ever sucumb to Ensure or Boost?
          NutritionTara
          Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Originally posted by nutritiontara View Post
            Sir-voor, You always have good input in this forum. I'm a little/lot perplexed as to why (given the list of ingredients) you would ever sucumb to Ensure or Boost?
            LOL, I’ll just say that are a lot of stuff us DHs will do to keep our DWs happy.

I did not totally succumb; I guess I was just temped by what looked to be an easy fix.

Are there any good protein supplements?

Most just look like scams for muscle heads, but with my wife spending so many years as a nursing home nurse.
            I know (right or wrongly) Boost and Ensure type drinks are often recommended for some health issues.

Comment

I admit I do have Ensure in the fridge for those times when I just don't have the energy or appetite to do anything else but open it up and drink. I figure getting some nutrition and protein is better than no nutrition.

The one whey protein powder I had tried previously that says it is "the best tasting protein on the planet" is not.

A few weeks ago it was recommended I try the Max Protein by SEI from GNC. I mix a scoop with milk and a banana and it is pretty good tasting. I've read that some will mix with water, half milk half water, or soy milk. I think almond milk might work well. The banana probably makes a big difference on taste. I tried it without and didn't like it that much.

It is quick and easy in the blender and I really do feel better after having it. Weight lifters will use it before training and after for recovery. One serving is 22 grams protein (ensure is 9 grams protein).

I hesitated to recommend this product, as I can't read all of the label, it's blue and I've had ON in both eyes.....anyway it is pricey so forgive me if you try it and don't care for it!

Comment

Just an update.....I tried the Protein Max with Almond Breeze milk. Very tasty, kind of like a malt. I'm going to use the Almond Breeze instead of milk from now on.

Comment

I've had the Whole Foods brand of vanilla Whey protein powder & liked it. As others have said, it does taste best with something else in it though: berries, banana-whatever you like. I can see where the almond milk would add a nice taste as well.

Comment

Weight Loss

Originally posted by Sir-Voor View Post
                    I have been losing weight and even thou it was unplanned; I feel it is explained by my new healthy diet and increased energy form Ampyra and sinus surgery.

But my wife was concerned about my weight loss, and got me some "Ensure, plus", protein drinks two weeks ago.
                    Now she is no longer concerned, I wondering I should keep drinking a protein drink?

I feel that maybe I should keep drinking them.
                    Not for weight management, but because I feel I’m not getting a proper amount of protein to have a healthy testosterone level.

I know if for no other reason, do to their high sugar content, they are not the best answer.

But for someone that does not eat breakfast most days, I’m thinking for me it may be a good answer.
                    I can relate to the weigh loss... I have loss so much weight due to my anxiety and being tensed all the time - prior to MS dx. I drink Ensure and Boost to try and help me gain weight. I also eat pretty good. At one time did not have a good appetite but now, appetite is pretty good. I know Ensure and Boost is high in sugar but I have too much in my pantry to through away.. I drink them every other day not everyday. Once I drink them up, I will look into getting protein powder and mix it with a banana and my Silk Soy milk. All this stuff is soooo confusing as far as eating healthy.... I see some people say avoid wheat and grains - some people say eat wheat and grains - stay away from dairy - it's ok to have diary... too confusing.

Ms. Jay

Comment

Working...
                    X