Ganoderma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ganoderma

I'm 23 years old and my mom has been diagnosed with MS since I was 14. I have watched her have so many good days and then I've watched her have many bad days. I've seen the many medications she's taken from the injections, the steroids, the infusions and I've seen some improve her condition, while others didn't seem to work at all. Her mood would shift spontaneously, her mobility would be limited and she just seemed really depressed.

Recently, my mom has began taking a new herbal supplement, Ganoderma and her mobility has definitely improved. She's walking better and has a little bit more energy. It's refreshing to see something finally making a bit of a difference for her. I'm wondering why supplements aren't suggested if they have actual benefits. I've been researching the herb and the website she purchased it from. The actual herb seems to work for plenty of autoimmune disorders. Does anyone know anything about this?

Hi Intellectual1, and welcome to MSWorld!

I'm not familiar with Ganoderma, but I can tell you that the reason doctors do not recommend supplements that appear to help some people is that there isn't sufficient (or, sometimes, any) research evidence to establish efficacy.

In other words, although there may be many patient testimonials (also known as anecdotal evidence) about a supplement, such testimonials are (a) subjective and (b) unreliable according to scientific standards.

Some of us (myself included) do take supplements that do not have adequate research studies to back them up. For us, the anecdotal evidence (and, perhaps, preliminary research) is convincing enough to warrant using a given supplement as long as there's no evidence that it causes any harm.

That's a personal choice, though, and doctors need scientific proof before they can suggest supplements (or medications) to their patients.

I'm glad to hear Ganoderma seems to be helping your mother.

Comment

Aha! The light dawns.

Ganoderma is Reishi. My husband has taken Reishi and Cordyceps. I've taken Cordyceps and am currently taking Maitake. We both take Lion's Mane.

For those who don't know, these are all medicinal mushroom extracts. All have been extensively researched in Asia and found to be both beneficial and safe.

Unfortunately, the FDA doesn't recognize research that comes from other countries unless/until it's replicated by U.S. studies.

Andrew Weil, M.D. is a strong proponent of medicinal mushrooms, but he's outside the U.S. medical mainstream in this country on that subject.

Here's a little basic info on medicinal mushrooms from Dr. Weil:

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA40005...ur-health.html

Comment

These medicinal mushrooms certainly support liver function. You're only as good as your liver function.
        Welcome to the world of MONEY Rules and dictates what is considered safe and acceptable.
        NutritionTara
        Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Working...
        X