Why are beans not a good food item?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Portia View Post
    So, any particular beans that aren't considered as bad? Or are they all just as bad when it comes to 'mimic proteins?'
    I just refreshed my memory at the MSRC website, and although all legumes are considered problematic as far as protein mimicry is concerned, soybeans and peanuts are the worst of all.

Interestingly enough, they're the worst from an allergy/sensitivity standpoint too.

Comment

Beans?

So are we saying that beans are bad only if you are allergic to them? I just read recently that legumes and some nuts ( not peanuts) actually help reduce inflammation in addition to being nutritious. When I feel MSy, I have green tea with antioxidants, fruit or veggies, Ginger, nuts, or legumes. It really seems to help. Is there some other reason not to eat legumes if it is 4 th or 5 th on the likelihood of allergy scale?

I try to follow the Swank MS diet, and the worst thing for us seems to be the saturated fats and high fat dairy. I felt great when I was on this strictly, and am trying to be better about it.

I am anxious to know about the beans though, as I have never heard this before.

Comment

Originally posted by aud88 View Post
        So are we saying that beans are bad only if you are allergic to them? I just read recently that legumes and some nuts ( not peanuts) actually help reduce inflammation in addition to being nutritious. When I feel MSy, I have green tea with antioxidants, fruit or veggies, Ginger, nuts, or legumes. It really seems to help. Is there some other reason not to eat legumes if it is 4 th or 5 th on the likelihood of allergy scale?
        Some posters are not saying that beans are bad only if you're allergic or sensitive to them. If you'll read over the entire thread, you'll find information and discussion about protein mimicry and the blood-brain barrier. According to this theory, legumes are bad for all MSers. That's the other reason not to eat legumes.

Not everyone here is in agreement about this, though. You'll have to weigh the various opinions, follow the links provided, and (last but definitely not least!) wait for Tara to respond with her expertise.

I'm sorry it's all so confusing, but there isn't a simple answer that's agreed upon by all informed laypeople, nor is there one that's agreed upon by all professionals.

Comment

I think I'll have a bowl of chili while I wait for Tara@@@!!!

just kidding!!
          Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

Originally posted by justacowgirl View Post

just kidding!!
            Come on if you are a Cowgirl from Texas......Traditional chili is just meat, peppers, garlic, onions, and cumin. In areas with plenty of beef like Texas, chili never had beans. Beans got added when chili went to the east. And to me it's sacrilegious.

Chili for me is made traditionally, cubed lean meat, and the 4-ingredients above. Simple and delicious.
            Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Comment

Originally posted by Twenty Miles View Post
              Come on if you are a Cowgirl from Texas......Traditional chili is just meat, peppers, garlic, onions, and cumin. In areas with plenty of beef like Texas, chili never had beans. Beans got added when chili went to the east. And to me it's sacrilegious.

Chili for me is made traditionally, cubed lean meat, and the 4-ingredients above. Simple and delicious.
              Yep...I'm in the east. Chili needs beans! Maybe even more than 1 kind...yum. It's going down to 8 degrees tonight....perfect for a pot of chili.
              I'm not perfect....just forgiven!

Comment

Originally posted by justacowgirl View Post

just kidding!!
                Well, isn’t that just great.

Now I want a bowl of chili W/beans and a peanut butter sandwich.
                Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

There were so many posts I pulled up the original question.

Originally posted by rstowhee View Post
                  I grew up thinking beans were better than meat. It took a lot of years to appreciate beans and now I love 'em. So now, over the past year, I've read that they are on "the things to eliminate" list.

Could someone tell me why? That would almost be as hard as going GF for me!!!
                  Uuuummm beans?? its a confusing one. If you strictly follow the paleolithic diet it says no legumes. That said beans are a primary protein source in many cultures.
                  (there were some posts about beans 'mimicing protein'?) beans are incomplete proteins--they don't contain all essential amino acids-- but combined with grains--which contain amino acids beans are lacking--make for a complete protein meal.
                  My opinion I think beans are hard to digest for many people. solve: soak overnight, change water and cook. OR BEST --sprout the beans-- now you have a great source of vegetarian protein with enzymes (released in the sprouting process) to digest the beans.
                  Go ahead and eat your beans....better to go gluten free!
                  NutritionTara
                  Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Originally posted by nutritiontara View Post
                    (there were some posts about beans 'mimicing protein'?) beans are incomplete proteins--they don't contain all essential amino acids-- but combined with grains--which contain amino acids beans are lacking--make for a complete protein meal.
                    Tara, here's the scoop on protein mimicry:

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showpos...0&postcount=10

If you follow the link Redwings gives, you'll get a lot more info on the subject.

It's not the same as complete vs. incomplete protein. Protein mimicry has to do with autoimmune issues.

Comment

ok, are all beans bad? what about green beans? i haven`t run into a bean i don`t like!!!

dave
                      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                      volunteer
                      MS World
                      hunterd@msworld.org
                      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Originally posted by hunterd View Post
                        ok, are all beans bad? what about green beans? i haven`t run into a bean i don`t like!!!

dave
                        Sadly, green beans are legumes too.

Comment

thanks Sequoia, I thought you'all were spelling wrong.
                          NutritionTara
                          Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

oh well, i live on a 145 acre veggie farm, i`ll take the beans anyway they come! i`m in a wc, are they gonna hurt me? ( sarcasam, haha) lol

dave

thanks for all the info, i appreciate it.
                            hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                            volunteer
                            MS World
                            hunterd@msworld.org
                            PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Working...
                            X