How Healthy Is Olive Oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Healthy Is Olive Oil?

Apparently a recent study calls into question olive oil's effect on cardiovascular health. Both Dean Ornish, M.D. and the Pritikin Longevity Center are now recommending canola oil instead of olive oil because of the study.

Here's a short excerpt from the article I read:

...Dr. Robert Vogel at the University of Maryland reported in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology that olive oil was found to reduce blood flow in arteries by 31 percent after consumption. This is significant in relation to blood clots and heart attacks, as well as angina. It's suggested that people be aware of any relationship between consuming olive oil and an angina attack. Also, it was found that olive oil "causes significant damage" to the endothelial cells that line the inside of arteries. This damage causes inflammation which leads to atherosclerosis.

And here's a link to the rest of the article:

[URL]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/linda-larrowe-bergersen/olive-oil-health_b_816011.html#[URL]

Does this change your recommendations on oil consumption, Tara?

I think I'm probably going to wait for further studies replicating the findings of the first one before I make any big changes. I already use several oils in addition to olive oil--flaxseed oil, coconut oil, canola oil and sesame oil.

Deep-fried food is delicious if done properly, for sure. My favorites are falafel and tempura. Yum!

Olive oil isn't such a good choice for deep frying, though. It has a low smoke point and starts to break down early. Canola oil would be a better choice, especially the kind that says it's good for high temperatures.

Bottom line, though, Tara doesn't recommend heating oils at all, except for coconut oil. She says that oils are more healthful unheated.

Another thing to consider is that fried foods, especially deep-fried, are inflammatory. Some of us are on anti-inflammatory diets as a way of (hopefully) improving our MS outlook.

Darn it, now I'm craving falafel!

Comment

A related question, for Tara, about olive oil.

I've read that, instead of frying in oil, we should spray chicken or potatoes with a light mist of canola or olive oil, then bake. Not only do you sidestep lots of calories, you also avoid the possibly carcinogenic compounds that are created when oil reaches frying temperatures.

Any validity in this theory?

~ Faith
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

For Sparky and Faith (until Tara returns and responds to this thread).

Originally posted by nutritiontara
        current philosophy is: only heat coconut oil.
        Ideally: never heat an oil...this includes being very gentle with fats in foods...eggs, meats, etc...
        I cook "slow and low": roasts at 225 degrees for 4-5 hours.
        Very gentle with my scrambled eggs.

Comment

Sequoia ~ Thanks for the reminder regarding oils from Tara.

ahhh..falafel.....
          I'm not perfect....just forgiven!

Comment

Olive oil is an omega -9. It doesn't flow into the prostaglandin pathway that contributes to inflammation. BUT, it has been shown (in petri dish) to change endothelial cells. ??was this heated olive oil?? IDK

or canola oil? We call it "Con- Oil" or crapoil. Its GMO, genetically made from rapeseed oil....its not an original oil. never use canola oil.
            Now I've got everyone in a tizzy--sorry.

Bottom line: never heat an oil, even olive oil. Stir fry in water or broth and add fats (flax, olive, butter) after.
            NutritionTara
            Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Originally posted by nutritiontara View Post
              or canola oil? We call it "Con- Oil" or crapoil. Its GMO, genetically made from rapeseed oil....its not an original oil. never use canola oil.
              Only 80% of canola is genetically modified. It's possible to buy canola oil that is organic and non-GMO. The brand I use is Spectrum. It's expeller pressed (like olive oil) rather than hexane extracted. No chemicals are added during the refining process, either.

(All canola varieties were hybridized from rapeseed through conventional plant breeding, which is not the same thing as genetic modification.)

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky10
                Is that the same as braising? Cooking in a small amount of water?
                Sort of.

True braising involves searing the outside of something at high heat, sometimes with a little oil in the pan, then cooking it, covered, in a small amount of water.

With stir-steaming, you put the cut-up food in a pan with a very small amount of water over medium-high heat and toss it as it cooks (just like stir-frying), adding a bit more water every time the pan dries out.

You can reduce the temperature and continue to cook the food, covered, once it's well underway if you like.

At least that's how I do it.

Comment

Working...
                X