MS DIETS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS DIETS

CAN ANYONE TELL ME ABOUT THE SWANK DIET OR ANY OTHER DIETS THAT ARE OUT THEIR FOR MS? JUST DX 1-11 SO JUST LOOKING FOR SOME HELP. WANT TO LOSS WIGHT AND THEN MAINTAN A GOOD WIGHT YOU KNOW.

Originally posted by jessica_sun View Post
    CAN ANYONE TELL ME ABOUT THE SWANK DIET OR ANY OTHER DIETS THAT ARE OUT THEIR FOR MS? JUST DX 1-11 SO JUST LOOKING FOR SOME HELP. WANT TO LOSS WIGHT AND THEN MAINTAN A GOOD WIGHT YOU KNOW.
    Hi Jessica, and welcome to MSWorld!

There's lots of information on the Swank Diet, the Best Bet Diet, the MS Recovery Diet, the Overcoming MS Diet and the Anti-Inflammatory Diet here on Tara's Nutrition & Supplement forum.

Just go to "Search This Forum" on the blue bar at the top of the main page. Enter one of the diets and specify posts, not threads. You should get a bunch of posts to read over.

All the diets have things in common but some differences, all are basically healthy, and although none of them are weight loss plans per se, people do tend to lose weight on them.

My own personal preference is the MS Recovery Diet.

Comment

The best bet diet seems to be good but i have read eliminting grains also and using the paleo diet is the best bet i am starting the paleo next week hav read so much about it.

Comment

Originally posted by blondeyclaire View Post
        The best bet diet seems to be good but i have read eliminting grains also and using the paleo diet is the best bet i am starting the paleo next week hav read so much about it.
        I have followed the Best Bet Diet since 2004. I have modified the supplements over years of trial and error and do eat some pre-digested dairy. I am very healthy- work full time, travel, everything I did before MS.

I attribute my health to adjusting my diet early in the disease. There are MANY nay-sayers that will say "show me scientific proof". Well a double blind placebo test can't be done without lockin people into a controlled place (ie. prison), and good luck finding placebos for food items like bread.

So, I am my own proof. I am watching the years click by and not seeing new symptoms. I'm raising and supporting my family and living my life. My neurologist said he didn't know about diet but to keep doing what I'm doing because it is working.
        Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Comment

Starting the paleo here.......

I did the swank diet for many years, 'on and off' with what I thought was success. But now, since starting meds, Ive had a few flares, so I am going to get more serious about the diet. My husband eats a paleo diet, he works out frequently and this is part of his regime. He feels great, so I figure there's no harm..........I just am trying to come to grips w/ how restrictive it is w/ the grains. I love bread, crackers, so on. But I saw an integrative physician who recommends it for all of his patients.

Comment

Originally posted by eam123 View Post
            I did the swank diet for many years, 'on and off' with what I thought was success. But now, since starting meds, Ive had a few flares, so I am going to get more serious about the diet. My husband eats a paleo diet, he works out frequently and this is part of his regime. He feels great, so I figure there's no harm..........I just am trying to come to grips w/ how restrictive it is w/ the grains. I love bread, crackers, so on. But I saw an integrative physician who recommends it for all of his patients.
            You might want to consider trying the Best Bet Diet or the MS Recovery Diet, both of which were developed specifically for MS (Paleo was not). The Best Bet Diet is followed by many MSers in the U.K. and the MS Recovery Diet is an Americanized version of the same thing.

Both diets are similar to Paleo in most respects but permit all non-gluten grains...so you can still have bread, crackers etc. as long as they're made from non-gluten flours.

Comment

I want to thank all you regular posters. Your help and knowledge is so very much appreciated. I have been reading this site for a very long time but still haven't taken the most important step.... regulate what I eat.

Again, your replies have returned my thoughts to doing it. Some of my meds play havoc with my appetite and so I just give in to the beast. Think I'm gonna order me a book and get serious.

thanks!
              I'm not perfect....just forgiven!

Comment

good luck, a diet plan is a great idea. I followed the Swank it was about 10 years ago for me . I only stayed on it about 1&1/2 years though,
                because one day, I wanted milk really bad. So I had some and instantly almost like magic- I got a great deal of energy and felt stronger than I had for a few years! I actually started skipping down the hall! it was like a miracle cure! instantly no bad gait, no weakness, weird and very nice.

But this is not usual for most MSer's. I think the Diets are Good! But talk to the Nutrition experts,
                by the way I was later DX with a D3 levl of 4. (not good).
                this is also not so normal, and probably because most MS'ers take supplements, which I didn't at the time.

there is a pro on this site, Oh I think it's Tara?

Comment

Doing diet is really good thing to do, it is very helpful to maintain good health. There are so many types of diet out there, it’s important to choose the best to get desired results. A good diet helps one to lose weight in short span of time and stay fit and healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by Alonso01 View Post
                    Doing diet is really good thing to do, it is very helpful to maintain good health. There are so many types of diet out there, it’s important to choose the best to get desired results. A good diet helps one to lose weight in short span of time and stay fit and healthy.
                    The "diets" we discuss on this forum are for improving our conditions relative to MS.

Although they may result in weight loss, that is not their goal.

Weight loss diets are covered in a different forum, "Basic Health Matters."

Comment

Working...
                    X