8 hour energy- is it safe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8 hour energy- is it safe?

I see adds for this all the time and wonder if it really works but more importantly is it safe? For MS- or would it just be bad? I shake with too much coffee and provigil does nothing for me.
    thanks, Karin
    Karin- archaeologygirl

I try to keep it simple.
    I take an Rx for fatigue and every now and then brew a pot of "high test" instead of my normal decaf.
    Energy drinks, for the most part, are a rip off. You're either drinking a concentrated form of caffine and/or guarana. Both are much cheaper on their own than what you're paying.
    Last time I checked, guarana is still legal and you can usually find it in natural foods stores where its sold as a spice. My last use of guarana was in college when I had to pull two nightmare semesters (22 and 21 credit hours in engineering) back to back. I doesn't burn you out, you just don't need sleep. Of course, this was the year I was pretty sure I saw a UFO one night so play accordingly.
    Of course, there's always Red Bull which was accuratly named, they just don't want to tell you why (the "active" ingredient is from the testes of slaughtered bulls- bon appetite!).

Comment

I tried it and it worked w/o side affect bc I spaced it from my coffee and did 1/2-3/4 early afternoon. I would try again but not often...
      dx summer 07, confirmed fall 07 started Copaxone 12/07 Switched to Tecfediera 2014

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Comment

Hi Karin

I've never tried 8-Hour Energy, but I do use the 5-Hour Energy Shots.

They've been beneficial for me when I have severe fatigue. The caffeine content equals 1 cup of coffee, (unless you get the caffeine free ones). Other ingredients are B Vitamins and also amino acids. No sugar - 4 calories.

I would use them more often but they are pricey for 2 oz.

I know nothing about 8 Hour Energy products though, sorry.

As always, let your doctor know of any supplements you are taking.

Take care,
        KoKo
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

If you go to the link below you get the entire list of ingredients in 8 hour energy plus a complete explanation of what each ingredient is.

Looks like alot of amino acids, caffeine and B's

http://www.sportenduranceinc.com/view-ingredients
          Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

another energy drink question

Just curious about an energy I recently heard about and opinions. It has ephedra in it (minus the two alkaloids banned by the FDA). I took ephedra years ago before the FDA ban for weight loss and energy. I did alot of research and have a few books on it. I know the primary reasons people had problems with ephedra was 1-taking too much, 2-taking it constantly and not giving themselves a break (should be 5 days on-2 days off or 6 wks on-2 wks off), or 3-people with medical problems such as diabetes or heart conditions failing to get doctor approval.

Basically, except for MS, I am really healthy. I loved that ephedra supplements helped to get me going in the morning and was disappointed when the FDA banned them. So, hearing about this energy drink with legal ephedra has me wondering if I should jump on it. I plan on asking my doctor at the next visit, but just curious about others experiences or opinions. I take provigil to bring me to life in the morning, thinking this might be a a good substitute. I hate all the drugs I take and would prefer a more natural alternative.

Comment

[QUOTE=Bob698;1270754]Last time I checked, guarana is still legal and you can usually find it in natural foods stores where its sold as a spice.QUOTE]

Duley noted, Bob! Question though, what form was it in? (Liquid/Powder)
              Rae Roy

Comment

thanks!

Thanks all! I am going to call my dr and see what she says!
                Karin
                Karin- archaeologygirl

Comment

[QUOTE=Raegan.Royale;1271558]
                  Originally posted by Bob698 View Post
                  Last time I checked, guarana is still legal and you can usually find it in natural foods stores where its sold as a spice.QUOTE]

Duley noted, Bob! Question though, what form was it in? (Liquid/Powder)
                  I used to buy the powder (spice) form. I'd add about a teaspoon to a cup of tea or hot coco and drink it. That was all I'd need for a day.
                  One warning though, its also a pretty potent form of fiber. I wouldn't travel too far from the bathroom for about an hour after drinking it.
                  With MS, I'd also want to check with my Neuro first. Guarana is best used sparingly and you won't feel like sleeping. This is good during finals week but I wouldn't get in the habit.

Comment

Thanks for the tips, Bob! My classes start May 16th for the first summer session and I know I'm going to be cramming in as much as possible.
                    Rae Roy

Comment

Just be sure you understand the importance of R.E.M. sleep.
                      Don't over-do it, at first it can feel liberating (I could sleep or I could write a term paper, whee!) but you'll pay the piper after a couple of days.
                      Above all, plan ahead to crash like a log after you do some "up time". Say its the end of finals week and you're planning to drive home, BE SURE to add a day (or a minimum of at least 12 hours) to sleep in before you hit the highway.

Comment

Currently can't drive due to numbness so I'm safe there! But there's free transportation via the OSU bus that goes from the Tulsa campus to the main Stillwater campus (where I will be) a few times a day. Thank you!
                        Rae Roy

Comment

Originally posted by Bob698 View Post
                          Of course, there's always Red Bull which was accuratly named, they just don't want to tell you why (the "active" ingredient is from the testes of slaughtered bulls- bon appetite!).
                          Eeewwww! Never much liked Red Bull anyway...tastes like a spiked liquid Pixie Stick to me...but now.... I can't to share this gem with the Red Bull-addicted ladies at my job... HAHA!
                          Kristen
                          DX'd 2.9.11
                          Has NO idea what she's doing

Comment

Five hour for me

I haven't ever used an eight hour drink, but I love the five hour drink. I don't know about others, but when I use it...
                            I get a happier mood, sharper vision, and mental alertness. Now I don't the get the surge of energy but I seem more alert and feel like I could do more if I applied myself.

Nor do I get the crash, I just realize at some point I feel close to like I did before I drank it.

I do limit myself and only have one maybe once a month, twice one time during a really rough time. I have been afraid to take them often, but would love to have one at least once a week.

Comment

I don't think that much caffeine is good for anyone. I have a student who drinks several of those and a couple of Red Bulls. I swear, she's going to have a heart attack one of these days or her kidneys are going to blow out one. She stays so hyper it's ridiculous!!

There are two anti-oxidant supplements, acetyl L-carnitine and alpha lipoic acid, which have helped a lot of people (including me) with fatigue. Do a search here on this board and you'll find a lot of information about them. I've been taking them for a year and a half with great results. They've give me my life back!
                              Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                              Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                              Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Working...
                              X