Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tara: Low Protein Diet?

Hi Tara,

What do you think of Dr. Weil's recommendation that people with MS keep their protein intake on the low side, approaching 10%?

As I understand it, the typical American diet is about 12-15% protein, which may be too high for people whose kidneys &/or livers are, or may become, compromised.

Also, it would seem that very high protein diets such as Atkins would be especially bad for MSers.

I'd appreciate hearing your perspective on how much protein we should be consuming.

I would be very interested in hearing about this, as I have recently started to include more protein in my diet. Since doing so, I've lost 17 lbs and am starting to notice my MS symptom feeling better.

Comment

I too have recently started to add MORE low fat protein. For me my muscle spasms etc were sooo bad and all my blood work says that potassium, mag and b12 etc were fine. Except D of course.

But muscles need protein. I have noticed I do better/feel better with more protein also.

I use a protein shake that has the same 4 amino acids as Copaxone in it not the same amounts of course. I drink 1/2 of one scoop mix with 16oz H2O and 4oz Light Soy milk. At least once a day. Depending on how many other calories I have with my regular meals and how much I exercise.

But my DH has also noticed I do better as well. Plus your hair, nails, skin and even weight benefit also.

I eat low fat/non fat dairy and beans etc. But I do not eat any Meat/Poultry. I just decided to add more protein with the shake BIG DIFF for the BETTER> For me anyway

So I am also interested in hearing the thoughts.
      Dx'd RRMS 7/12/2010, Back in the Prob. Pile 2/1/2011 "Jump, and you will find out how to unfold your wings as you fall”...Ray Bradbury

Comment

There may be a tradeoff between feeling better with increased protein and taking a long-term risk with kidney/liver function.

Muscles do indeed need protein, the question is how much under the circumstances of our condition.

I don't know myself...but I'm sure Tara will.

Comment

Hi Sequoia

As I understand it, the typical American diet is about 12-15% protein, which may be too high for people whose kidneys &/or livers are, or may become, compromised.
          I'm wondering what he means by typical American diet?

Take care,
          KoKo
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
            I'm wondering what he means by typical American diet?
            Typical means average. In other words, the kinds and amounts of foods most Americans eat. It's also known in nutritional circles as SAD or Standard American Diet.

Comment

Originally posted by Sequoia View Post
              Hi Tara,

What do you think of Dr. Weil's recommendation that people with MS keep their protein intake on the low side, approaching 10%?

Also, it would seem that very high protein diets such as Atkins would be especially bad for MSers.

I'd appreciate hearing your perspective on how much protein we should be consuming.
              [QUOTE=Sequoia;1270536]Hi Tara,

Animal protein breaks down to arachidonic acid, AA. AA supports the production of certain prostaglandins which contribute to the inflammatory response...pain. So logically,lower animal protein diet would be better. And thats very valid. So we must choose the right protein and use them sparingly, spaced throughout the day.
              The right proteins?: grass feed, hormone free meats and dairy, antibiotic free eggs and poultry, wild game and fish.
              animal free quality proteins: nuts and seeds, sprouted beans, grains, nuts and seeds, fermented beans and grains.
              And the base of our diets should be vegetables.
              #2 proteins digested and metabolized produce acid and can contribute to a nitrogen "overload" which can be hard for the kidneys to filter. Yes, protein is restricted when there is low kidney function.
              So bottom line? Buy quality, (yes more expnsive) proteins in small amounts and use sparingly and fill up on vegetables and add plenty of quality oils.
              Unfortunately most people will fill up on starches and this can contritbute to inflammationa dn create a whole host of mineral and vitamin malabsorption.
              NutritionTara
              Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sequoia View Post
                Hi Tara,

Can you please refer us to the book or article that Dr. Weil has written on this issue?

I am completely overwhelmed: eliminating gluten, eliminating beans, eliminating dairy, and drastically reducing animal protein will not be a realistic option for my husband or our family. I know that some choose to eliminate one item, not all, and I have read about elimination on a trial and error basis, but my DH does not notice a difference on a day to day basis based on what he eats and doesn't have the patience to "try" these eliminations for weeks on end to see if there is any benefit. (Although he has given up miik.) I am ready to give up on this difficult diet modification, but would like to read Dr. Weil's recommendations.

Comment

There isn't a book by Dr. Weil on this subject, nor is there an entire article. He writes fairly often online about autoimmune disorders in general and MS in particular. Here's what he says about diet and MS:

• Decrease protein toward 10 percent of daily caloric intake. Replace animal protein as much as possible with plant protein.
                  • Eliminate milk and milk products, substituting other calcium sources.
                  • Eat organically grown fruits and vegetables as much as possible as well as organic products made from wheat and soy.
                  • Eliminate polyunsaturated vegetable oils, margarine, vegetable shortening, all partially hydrogenated oils, all foods (such as deep-fried foods) that might contain trans-fatty acids. Use extra-virgin olive oil as your main fat.
                  • Increase intake of omega-3 fatty acids from fish, walnuts, or flax and hemp seeds.
                  • Eat more fruits and vegetables.
                  • Eat ginger and turmeric regularly.

This is from the Q & A Library on Dr. Weil's website, dated 2/14/2002. He's currently writing a new set of dietary recommendations for a long list of diseases, but hasn't gotten to MS yet.

I get a daily email bulletin from him and also have him on my Facebook newsfeed, so I get continuous updates that way.

Comment

Originally posted by nutritiontara View Post
                    Animal protein breaks down to arachidonic acid, AA.
                    AA supports the production of certain prostaglandins which contribute to the inflammatory response...pain.
                    So logically,lower animal protein diet would be better. And thats very valid.
                    So we must choose the right protein and use them sparingly, spaced throughout the day.

The right proteins?: grass feed, hormone free meats and dairy, antibiotic free eggs and poultry, wild game and fish.

animal free quality proteins: nuts and seeds, sprouted beans, grains, nuts and seeds, fermented beans and grains.
                    And the base of our diets should be vegetables.
                    Probable I’m am a male and need my Testosterone for manly reasons and Testosterone diets say to make sure most of your protein comes from animal sources; vegetarian diets are associated with lower testosterone levels in males.

So what should us manly MSers do?

Eat "animal free quality proteins"?

P.S. Looking at the Ifs of some ground beef;

For Beef, ground, 75% lean meat / 25% fat, crumbles, cooked, pan-browned [hamburger] the IF is 0.
                    For Beef, ground, 95% lean meat / 5% fat, crumbles, cooked, pan-browned [hamburger] the IF is -16.

I see that leaner equals more inflammation and I would assume form the higher protein level.
                    BUT eating some anti-inflammation food will easily counter that, for example just 8 almonds is (+16).

FYI: MSers should aim for a IF score of at lest 200, per day.
                    http://nutritiondata.self.com/help/inflammation
                    Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

THANK YOU SEQUOIA! This is very helpful and a great relief. I have been very concerned, frustrated and confused. Dr. Weil's suggestions are reasonable and do-able.

Comment

I tend to agree with Tara and Dr. Weil

I've been following Dr. Weil and even Dr. Oz about nutrition, they have a huge impact on eating well and using alternative medicine. The spice Tumeric combats inflammation as well as some of the Indian cooking spices.
                        Information is Powerful, you never stop learning. Dr. Weil has been a guest on the Dr. Oz show several times. I signed up for their newsletters as well.
                        Another thing I saw was that a spray gun was made using your own stem calls and it was used to treat a man who was severely burned. Awesome he healed much faster than conventional methods and no scars.

Comment

Working...
                        X