How to Eat an Anti-Inflammatory Diet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Eat an Anti-Inflammatory Diet

I get a daily bulletin from Dr. Andy Weil, and this morning's contained a video on anti-inflammatory eating.

[URL]http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/VDR00029/How-to-Eat-an-Anti-Inflammatory-Diet.html[URL]

For those who aren't familiar with Dr. Weil, he's a well-respected M.D. whose area of expertise is nutrition & supplements. His approach to diet is sensible and doable.

And here's a link to Dr. Weil's Anti-Inflammatory Pyramid, an easy-to-use visual guide to anti-inflammatory eating.

[URL]http://www.drweil.com/drw/ecs/pyramid/press-foodpyramid.html[/U]

I've posted this on other threads, but thought it might be helpful here too.

Comment

Thank you, Sequoia. This looks completely doable, and simple. I have bookmarked the pyramid.
      I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

I’m a gigantic believe in going anti-inflammatory for MS, but I feel Dr. Weil’s food chart is missing some important info.
        I prefer the IF system from “The inflammation free diet plan” book and NutritionData.com.
        Because not all fruits and vegetables are equal when it come to inflammation, as well as fish and other foods.

Some high IF (inflammation Factor) foods include.
        Turmeric (I think there are Turmeric pills you can take)
        Garlic (Fresh or powder)
        Onion flakes
        Ground red pepper
        Ground Cayenne
        Snack on Almonds and Brazil nuts
        Spinach
        Lettuce
        Sweet potato
        Lots of Fish oil
        Lots of fish
        Olive oil
        Canola oil
        Replace cow’s milk with Almond milk
        Carrot juice
        Green tea

Some inflammatory foods to avoid include;
        Sugar
        Article sweeteners
        Soda
        Candy
        Potato chips
        potato
        Fats
        Honey
        Syrups
        Butter & margarine
        Corn oil
        Palm oil
        Cottonseed oil
        Coconut oil
        Grape seed oil

Your goal is not to eat only anti-inflammatory, but to get a score over 200.
        So have a inflammatory banana, but also have some anti-inflammatory strawberries.

The issue I have with the MS diets is that just like MS is different with everyone so is their dietary needs.
        So I’m a believer in everyone creating their own diet that fulfills their health and taste needs.

The diet I’m creating is Anti-inflammitory, high HDL, antioxidants, gut healthy plus some other stuff. But for me not gluten free none meat free, like some MSers need to do.

P.S. Spices are great for boosting Anti-inflammation and antioxidant in your diet, and good place I found to get them is Penseys.com.
        Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

Dr. Weil's chart is meant to be a simplified version of anti-inflammatory eating, accessible to anyone who wants to improve his/her diet without a great deal of thought and planning.

For those who have the time and inclination to go into more detail, Sir-Voor's sources and suggestions certainly may be helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir-Voor View Post
            The diet I’m creating is Anti-inflammitory, high HDL, antioxidants, gut healthy plus some other stuff. But for me not gluten free none meat free, like some MSers need to do.
            For people who are relatively new to this forum and may not know what Tara, our resident nutritionist, recommends, here's a question from a member about who should avoid gluten, followed by Tara's response.

Member:

Is gluten an irritant or an inflammatory food if you are not gluten sensitive? I really like these diets, I have checked into the Swank, the BBD, the MS Recovery diet, and the overcoming MS diet. The only problem I have with them is eliminating gluten. That's a whole food group. But if its causing inflammation then bye!

Can anyone tell me if its suggested to eliminate due to a gluten sensitivity or is there benefit to everyone to stay away from it?

Tara:

Benefit to EVERYONE!!

It makes the immune system behave badly.....not a good thing for anyone!

I know you, and some others, disagree with Tara's stance on this issue (except for MSers with proven gluten intolerance), and of course you have a right to state your opinion.

Comment

Working...
            X