Celiac Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Celiac Test

I've been losing weight over the past few months without really trying to. I've actually lost about 15 lbs. since October. During the holidays, I had intermittent bouts of nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, along with stomach pain. Those symptoms lasted for over two full weeks.

I saw my primary care physician a week ago, and she ran some blood tests. My potassium was low, which I figured was from the vomiting and diarrhea, so I've been taking two potassium supplements daily and have to go back in on Friday to get my levels checked again.

I also got a call from the nurse at the physician's office today that one of the things on the celiac tests that I had was borderline deficient, so she's sending me to a gastroenterologist. I plan to get a copy of the lab results when I go in on Friday, but I'm trying to figure out what on the test could have been borderline deficient, and if that might indicate that I have celiac disease.

Would gluten intolerance cause weight loss and the other symptoms I have had? (I don't mind the weight loss and actually wouldn't mind about 50 more lbs. coming off, but from what I've read, celiac can cause other problems if not treated.

How on earth can anyone survive on a gluten-free diet? It seems like almost everything worth eating is a no-no!! (I also have high cholesterol and triglycerides, and just recently with the weight loss got my blood pressure under control.)
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Hi Shashi,

I just did a quick search and weight loss is indeed a symptom of both Celiac Disease and gluten intolerance.

As for how one survives on a gluten-free diet, it's really not that difficult. Many people (including me and several others on this forum) are doing it.

I eat a varied, tasty diet and rarely feel deprived. Trust me, there are still lots of good things to eat that don't contain gluten!

Going gluten-free can be daunting at first, but if you do need to make the change you'll get lots of help from the posters on Tara's forum. There are also many good websites and books on the subject, with recipes ranging from plain everyday food to gourmet fare.

Comment

Weight loss can be a symptom . For me, I had awful heart burn which is why they began to check me for it. Mine was confirmed by a gastrenterologist. I had a upper and lower GI which confirmed the presence of sprue, that was the diagnosis for me.

If I happen to get into wheat, or gluten, I get awful gas, bloating, heart burn, and very painful urination, like I have been scalded. I stay away from gluten.

When I was first diagnosed, I felt the same; there is no way to survive on that diet. 6 years later, I have no issues with it. YOu learn to read labels, and cook fresh foods. Without all the processed items. It is harder to eat out, but you learn how to manage that as well. I feel better and I know my body is happier.
      This is the day that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it.

Have a great day, Leola

Comment

For what it's worth, so many people are eating gluten-free these days that there are now a lot of prepared, ready-to-eat foods available in regular supermarkets (as well as whole foods stores), both on the shelves and in the freezer cases.

These items are, of course, fairly expensive. Cooking from scratch is much more affordable and probably healthier, but for those times when you just can't face cooking you can keep a few packaged or frozen items on hand. That's what I do.

Comment

celiac

Celiac is a controlable disease. It is gaining more awareness, which equals more gluten free products in local grocery stores. grocery shopping can be time consuming because of having to read all the labels.

Gluten intolerence will cause weight loss because of the malabsorbtion of food.

Comment

Originally posted by Leola Stotts View Post
            Weight loss can be a symptom . For me, I had awful heart burn which is why they began to check me for it. Mine was confirmed by a gastrenterologist. I had a upper and lower GI which confirmed the presence of sprue, that was the diagnosis for me.
            Leola, I have horrible GERD. For awhile, I was having to take four prescription-strength Prilosec a day, and it wasn't touching it. I'm now on Aciphex, but I still get reflux.

I've also lately had tummy pain. For example, I just ate a tuna sandwich and four marshmellows, and I feel like I'm starving. My tummy feels totally empty and hurts. I do get bad gas occassionally. Sometimes too, my tummy rumbles and gurgles something awful! (Usually when I'm sitting in class and my students are all quietly working on their homework. It gets really embarrassing sometimes.)

Hmm, I guess I'll find out what is going on soon.

Thank you all for all the great information you've shared.

Hugs,

Lisa
            Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
            Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

I don't know about the vomiting part but my husband has celiac and he lost weight. Basically you go into a malabsorption thing. . . hence the weight loss.

We have been on a gluten free diet for about 4 years. We eat very healthfully. There is no substitute for wheat bread but I make darn good bread with a variety of alternative flours.

You have to become a food detective but the labeling is much better and many more products are labeled gluten free and restaurants seem to be more knowledgable. Although we trust no one to really know what may or may not be a contaminant.

I wish you well. There are many here who can be resources of information for you if that is what you need.

Comment

Originally posted by Shashi View Post
                Leola, I have horrible GERD.

I've also lately had tummy pain. For example, I just ate a tuna sandwich and four marshmellows, and I feel like I'm starving. My tummy feels totally empty and hurts. I do get bad gas occassionally. Sometimes too, my tummy rumbles and gurgles something awful! (Usually when I'm sitting in class and my students are all quietly working on their homework. It gets really embarrassing sometimes.)
                Lisa,
                I was GF for four months. Then, I fell off the wagon. I have chronic GERD & was hoping that GF would "cure" my GERD. When it didn't, I rebelled & went back to eating gluten. Let me tell you, I REGRET IT!!! I'm going back to eating GF & will stay there this time. This is what I've been experiencing since back on gluten: more reflux, lots of tummy pains & exactly as you say, the feeling of an empty tummy just after eating & it HURTS. Gas-yes. My tummy will rumble & gurgle a lot as well.
                SO, while GF didn't "cure" my GERD, it definitely DID improve it. Tara says this is because I've already been introduced to the stomach acid reducing meds (I take PRilosec). I also didn't experience the symptoms I've listed above while I was Gf. Also, I notice a marked difference in my fatigue level (& the ALA/ALC didn't work for me) while on gluten. Lots of reasons to NOT eat gluten!! Also, a little side note: I tested "negative" for the celiac gene & gluten intolerance BUT gluten does most definitely affect me.
                Best of luck to you.

Comment

I'm starting to wonder if gluten intolerance might have been my problem all along. As far as I know, none of my doctors have ever tested for it until now. But from what I've been reading, it can cause neurological problems identical to the ones I've been having, including the numbness/tingling, muscle spasms, lack of deep tendon reflexes (I have no reflex in either ankles and none in my right knee now.) It can cause seizures, such as the ones I had a few months ago. It can also cause gluten ataxia - balance problems, problems with speech and swallowing, muscle weakness.

Maybe this has been my problem all along. I'm almost afraid to hope though, as I've been looking for answers for so long.

I've been looking at the gluten free diet and am starting to accept that it might not be as bad as it sounds. I'd love to start it now, but have read that the testing for Celiac disease can be false negative if you start a gluten free diet before you're diagnosed. So, I'll wait. But I do know that almost every time I eat bread, I end up with diarrhea and tummy pain. There's got to be a connection. Let's just hope my doctor can find it.

(I have also read that if you have MS, gluten can make the symptoms much worse. There has to be something to that!)

Comment

Hi Shashi:
                    As we've talked about under some of your previous threads, I've always had the impression that some kind of metabolic/malabsorption issue may be playing a role in at least some of the troubles you're having. I hope that this time that avenue pans out and gets you some blessed relief!

Comment

Shashi, do you really need to wait for the Dx of Celiac disease? If you loose you inate ability to recognize what is best for your body...well I think you're screwed. Sorry harsh, but true. Besides those tests are about 40% inaccurate. My recommendation? eliminate gluten for 60 days and see how you feel.
                      Oh and your high TGs and cholesterol? look up a 2-year study from Temple U. published this past August. Weight loss: low-carbs vs low-fat. The weight loss results were similar. Howevere, the low carb group had significant improvements in TGs and a rise in HDL, about a ~30-40% rise.
                      Sugar (carbs) and vegetable oils cause clogged arteries, not cholesterol. And when your "pipes" have less junk sticking in them your BP will go down!
                      NutritionTara
                      Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Tara, I would really like to know for sure (or as sure as I can be) if what I'm dealing with is Celiac. After struggling along without answers for almost five years now, it would be a relief to finally know what is going on. So, I'll try to hang on for a diagnosis and see if maybe the answers I've been looking for are forthcoming.

I think my BP has already come down from the 18 lbs I've lost over the past couple of months. Now that the holidays are over, maybe I can get back to eating better and lay off the sweet stuff! Right now, I seem to be craving salty stuff. I was sick again this week with tummy problems (which might have been a stomach virus since I had a fever with it, and it's going around this area.) I'm wondering, since I don't normally salt my food anymore, if maybe my body is needing sodium after all of the vomiting/diarrhea I had. So, I've kind of upped my intake just a bit, just in case.

Comment

Working...
                        X