Sodium overdose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sodium overdose?

Is it possible to overdose on Sodium? Is there such a thing as a reaction to a sudden and extreme overload of sodium?

I have been on a very regimented diet for some time, with minimal sodium intake and yesterday, as I look back and really think about what I ate, I realize that I had an extreme amount of Sodium and my body feels like I've been WHAMMED! (If you can imagine what a "wham" might feel like )

I don't know if I've started a new flare or if I just put my body into some kind of sodium shock. It could just be coincidental. I was starting to feel good and woke up numb everywhere!

Yesterday I had: salted tomato slices, a small V-8, chicken prepared by my husband in a very salty marinade and drenched in a sauce made with ketchup and soy sauce. I had no idea his homemade sauce had ketchup and soy sauce in it until I asked this morning what was in it because I feel swollen on the inside of my body!

Maybe I am having a reaction because I have almost eliminated salt and I completely overdosed yesterday? Could just be a new flare, I don't know! I am so upset, I was feeling better after 8 weeks and this morning I feel numb all over. Any insight?

I think our MS makes us feel the effects of diet and stress faster, then the average person.

I gave up soda in the spring of this year, and been doing good.
    Two weeks ago on Monday a had a soda to stay awake at work, and the again at a office party the next day.
    Opps! On the drive home my ON (Optical Neuritis) kick in real bad and I have not had any problems with it for over 6 months.

So I know first hand that sodium and sugar can affect MSers quickly, and we will feel an overload within hours.

I think we need some salt, but I believe Sea Salt is the best for us.

So my Guess is inflammatory overload and it will pass, not a new flare.
    Kind of a “pseudo flare ups” not dangerous and only temporary.
    Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

jphillips, of course its hard to evaluate if you're having a flare; but lets talk about the sodium (Na).
      Certainly if you have been restricting your Na intake - consuming more could cause fluid retention. With fluid, the joints are stiff, kidneys, even cog-fog with fluid around the brain my occur. Restricting Na is not effective....switching to air-dried sea salt is nourishing and I recommend using sea salt freely to all my patients- even those w hypertension.
      Actual Na hypertension(HTP) occurs in less than 1/3 of the cases and involves renin(kidney hormone) excess; medical co. just blankets the recommendation to everyone.
      Should be temporary...get some sea salt.
      NutritionTara
      Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Working...
      X