coconut water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coconut water

Tara, lately I have been drinking a lot of fresh coconut water.
    I just hack the top off and puncture 2 holes and drink it. I'm developing a taste for it. I live in the VI so coconuts are everywhere.
    Everyone here tells me it is good for me and I have to say it seems my muscle spasms are a bit better as well as my constitution.
    For the past month I've been drinking coconut water 2-3 times a day.

My question is, Is there such a thing as too much?

I make what I call Tahitian lime aid by adding fresh squeezed limes into the coconut water. Limes are good, right?

I'll do some research but just wanted to get your take and anyone else that has a comment. thanks
    You only live NOW.
    SX 1999 /DX 2003
    norml.org

I think its just fine. Has some potassium, maybe you could over do it; if you're on BP meds, esp. diuretics?? Otherwise you're ok.
    NutritionTara
    Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Originally posted by nutritiontara View Post
      I think its just fine. Has some potassium, maybe you could over do it; if you're on BP meds, esp. diuretics?? Otherwise you're ok.
      Is coconut oil (extra virgin) ok to use for cooking?

Comment

current philosophy is: only heat coconut oil.
        Ideally: never heat an oil...this includes being very gentle with fats in foods...eggs, meats, etc...
        I cook "slow and low": roasts at 225 degrees for 4-5 hours.
        Very gentle with my scrambled eggs.
        NutritionTara

Comment

Coconut Vampires

Originally posted by Chais Papa View Post
          Tara, lately I have been drinking a lot of fresh coconut water.
          I just hack the top off and puncture 2 holes and drink it. I'm developing a taste for it. I live in the VI so coconuts are everywhere.
          Everyone here tells me it is good for me and I have to say it seems my muscle spasms are a bit better as well as my constitution.
          For the past month I've been drinking coconut water 2-3 times a day.

My question is, Is there such a thing as too much?

I make what I call Tahitian lime aid by adding fresh squeezed limes into the coconut water. Limes are good, right?

I'll do some research but just wanted to get your take and anyone else that has a comment. thanks
          wow would love to live again in a coconut area.

How lucky you are!
          actually, coconut water (young) is used for plasma transfusions
          it is identical to human plasma!
          Plus its a good source of carbohydrates
          AND
          the white meat restores male sexual fluids!

=Coconut Vampires

ww
          zzzzzzzzzz

Comment

.....and about the Limes

When can we come over?
            zzzzzzzzzz

Comment

Originally posted by GinnyRuth View Post
              Is coconut oil (extra virgin) ok to use for cooking?
              It would be ok in that its "smoke point" isn't too low (isn't too high either - kind of in the middle). OTOH - it is a highly saturated fat - not one I'd use as a daily cooking fat. On the third hand - it does have a pretty distinctive taste - which works in some dishes (like you wouldn't substitute regular milk for coconut milk in Thai food). Robyn

Comment

Originally posted by robyn55 View Post
                It would be ok in that its "smoke point" isn't too low (isn't too high either - kind of in the middle). OTOH - it is a highly saturated fat - not one I'd use as a daily cooking fat. On the third hand - it does have a pretty distinctive taste - which works in some dishes (like you wouldn't substitute regular milk for coconut milk in Thai food). Robyn
                Although coconut oil is a saturated fat, it's made up of medium-chain fatty acids which are metabolized differently than most sat fats. Coconut oil has unique health-building properties, and is regarded by Tara as a good nutritional choice second only to flaxseed and extra virgin olive oils.

I use it extensively in cooking, and in making a butter substitute composed of 1/2 flaxseed oil and 1/2 coconut oil.

Comment

Butter substitute?

Originally posted by Sequoia View Post
                  I use it extensively in cooking, and in making a butter substitute composed of 1/2 flaxseed oil and 1/2 coconut oil.
                  Sequoia -

How do you use this butter substitute - in baking, or as a bread spread, or otherwise? I've been looking for some ideas when I cook with a friend who has allergies to cow milk, soy and wheat, so this looks useful.

Thanks!
                  N.

Comment

Originally posted by Nabbosa View Post
                    Sequoia -

How do you use this butter substitute - in baking, or as a bread spread, or otherwise? I've been looking for some ideas when I cook with a friend who has allergies to cow milk, soy and wheat, so this looks useful.

Thanks!
                    N.
                    I use it as a bread spread, and also put a dab of it on cooked veggies and grains. It's solid in the refrigerator and for a short while at room temperature, but liquefies if left out too long.

For baking I use plain coconut oil, which is solid at room temperature. Flaxseed oil should never be heated.

The recipe is simplicity itself:

Half coconut oil which has been gently warmed just until it liquefies.

Half flaxseed oil, stirred into the coconut oil once it's cooled to room temperature.

Sea salt to taste.

Refrigerate to solidify and for long-term storage.

Comment

Sequia, whats the taste? gotta try it, thanks. I suppose it can be flavored with many seasonings.
                      NutritionTara

Comment

Originally posted by nutritiontara View Post
                        Sequia, whats the taste? gotta try it, thanks. I suppose it can be flavored with many seasonings.
                        If you get top quality, non-rancid flaxseed oil, the spread is delicious just as it is.

One of the easiest ways to flavor it, for those who like garlic, is to put a clove (or more, depending on how much you're making) in the coconut oil as it begins to liquefy, and leave it there while it cools to room temperature. Take it out before the blend solidifies.

Various herbs can be added in the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by Sequoia View Post
                          I use it as a bread spread, and
                          The recipe is simplicity itself:

Half coconut oil which has been gently warmed just until it liquefies.

Half flaxseed oil, stirred into the coconut oil once it's cooled to room temperature.

Sea salt to taste.

Refrigerate to solidify and for long-term storage.
                          You've inspired me Sequoia. Thanks!
                          I'm not perfect....just forgiven!

Comment

Working...
                          X