Holiday Food Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holiday Food Tips

I thought we could start a thread on cooking tips for the holidays or anytime.
    I'll go first: a non-gluten way to thicken soups and a substitute for bread crumbs is instant potato flakes.
    I use them in soup to thicken it up; just sprinkle em in. I also put them in my meatloaf instead of bread crumbs.
    NutritionTara
    Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Here's one I recently discovered: coconut milk (full-fat, not "lite") is a good replacement for evaporated milk in pumpkin pie filling.

Also, coconut oil (in its solid state) can be a good replacement for butter or shortening in piecrust, but you need to work quickly to keep it from melting prematurely.

Comment

I having been doing beer can turkey for the last two years, this year I made one improvement and missed a step.

*Brine over night (8-10 years roughly) instead of just a few hours and makes it even more juicy, I recommend use 1 cup of coarse kosher salt and brown sugar and seasoning to taste.

*What I forgot to do this year is do the rub under the skin and the meat simply was not as flavorful. It was good just not as good, I think next year I’ll loosen the skin before I brine and see what that does.

If you're not into grilling, then using a oven bag make cooking a lot easier.
      Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir-Voor View Post
        *Brine over night (8-10 years roughly) instead of just a few hours and makes it even more juicy, I recommend use 1 cup of coarse kosher salt and brown sugar and seasoning to taste.
        Oh My! I'd better get started!
        Let's see, that would make it Thanksgiving 2018, yeah!

LOL!

Comment

LOL, Ooops! I meant to write (8-10 hours roughly) although that may make a good aged turkey soup for 2018.

Here is an easy enhancement that you can do to the butter for the rolls.
          Turn it into honey butter, just mix together;
          • 1 pound butter
          • 1/4 cups honey
          • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
          • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Just do a web search for ” how to make honey butter video” for instructions.
          Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

I use ground porkgrinds ( you buy them whole in the bag )
            instead of breadcrumbs.
            I bake my own bread with flaxseed and soy flour.
            I use gelatin to make gravy.
            I make my own yoghurt with heavy cream and rice milk and then add fresh fruit.
            I try to eat only good carbs ie fruit and veggies.
            I feel so much better.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all

Comment

Bake the sweet potatoes instead of candy.
              A big mixed fruit salad instead of jellied cranberry sauce.
              Pumpkin soup (with curry and onion).

Comment

EVEN BEFORE BECOMING GLUTEN FREE I WAS USING CORN STARCH TO THICKEN GRAVY AND INSTANT POTATOES FOR SOUPS. IS KEEP CHICKEN BROTH WHEN I MAKE CHICKEN AND FREEZE IT FOR GRAVIES OR TO COOK VEGETABLES IN TO BEGIN SOUP. HAS LOTS OF FLAVOR AND NOT THE PRESERVATIVES. I USE CRUMB TOPPING FOR A BOTTOM CRUST ON PIES (OATMEAL, BROWN SUGAR AND BUTTER) INSTEAD OF MAKING A FLOUR CRUST. ALSO MAKE APPLE CRISP WITH THE CRUMBS ON TOP INSTEAD OF A SHELL. GLUTEN FREE COOKIES (GINGER, ESPECIALLY) GROUND UP MAKES A WONDERFUL PIE CRUST FOR USE IN PLACE OF GRAHAM CRACKERS. I ADD OATS TO MY MEATLOAF. PUMPKIN TO MOST ANY SOUPS AND IT ADDS FLAVOR AND NUTRIENTS.
                This is the day that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it.

Have a great day, Leola

Comment

Love the potato flakes idea! I have been gluten free for almost three years and never thought of potato flakes!

THANKS!!

Comment

Working...
                  X