Airborne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airborne

Hi. I'm new to this site and have a question about supplements. I've always taken Airborne to get through the cold and flu seasons with great results. I was diagnosed with MS in January and my doctor told me to stop using Airborne because, as he put it, it kicks up the bad immune system. Why would Airborne be harmful to an MS patient and what the heck would be the bad immune system?

Thanks for any input.

Taking the Airborne should have no effect on your MS. Your Doctor is most likely mistaken on his position, I can't see it doing anything for the Immune System. Many don't think the Airborne really does anything to help you. But, if you believe it will be good for you. I have used it, but stopped since I didn't see any positive with it.
    Bill
    Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

I avoid Airborne, and any product that contains a lot of anti-oxidants. That's the advice that I received from the NMSS when I called them.

Our immune system is already "confused", I believe, and I worry that mega-dosing on anti-oxidants may trigger a flare.

~ Faith
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I bet it's because of the herb content, echinacea is in general not recommended for auto-immune conditions because of it's non-specific immune boosting effect.

Ran

Comment

High doses of vitamins A, C and E are also not recommended, as they are anti-oxidants. And, yeah -- echinacea. Green tea is another.

~ Faith
          ~ Faith
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Pghnana --

The "bad immune system" is our immune system attacking itself, instead of protecting us by attacking dangers. This is what causes our myelin loss in MS.

Some people have said that our immune system is over-active. Others say that this is not correct, that it is just "confused".

~ Faith
            ~ Faith
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

I think the idea is that we may have overreactive immune systems, and so boosting the immune system when it is already overreacting might have a negative effect on MS. My understanding is that this is just speculation, sort of a "better safe that sorry" approach.

Like Faith said, not all docs believe this is what is happening with MS, so immune boosters might be fine. Then again, they might not; we just don't know. It sounds like your doc is in the "overreacting immune system" camp.

Comment

Auto-immune diseases, according to the American Auto-immune Related Diseases Association and womenshealth.gov, are the result of a mistaken immune system.

http://www.aarda.org/q_and_a.php
                http://www.womenshealth.gov/faq/auto...diseases.cfm#a

See also :http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/000816.htm

Based on my own experience, I don't think it's overactive. At least mine isn't...I get sick if someone in the next county sneezes.

Whether your source of information says your immune system is mistaken and for some unknown reason, attacking the very body it's supposed to be protecting or overactive, the effect is the same. Your immune system is attacking your tissues. In the case of MS, the myelin in the CNS.

So, if any medicine, herb, supplement...whatever... strengthens this confused immune system, it could be like giving extra ammo to a crazed, blindfolded sniper. It could, in theory, allow the immune system to do even more damage than it could do without the extra help.

Comment

Working...
                X