Diet shows no association with relapses, disability progression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diet shows no association with relapses, disability progression

Diet shows no association with relapses, disability progression.

Study links better diet to fewer types of brain lesions​.

A higher quality diet is associated with reductions in certain types of brain lesions in multiple sclerosis (MS), but no link was seen between a good diet and the risk of MS relapses or disability progression, a new study from Australia indicates.

The study, “Higher dietary quality is prospectively associated with lower MRI FLAIR lesion volume, but not with hazard of relapse, change in disability or black hole volume in people with Multiple Sclerosis,” was published in Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders.

The foods a person eats can have profound effects on their health, from ensuring proper nutrition to altering inflammation. While some specialized diets have been developed for MS, there isn’t any one diet that’s been proven to be best for the disease.

It’s generally recommended that people with MS maintain a well-balanced diet that provides all the needed nutrients while avoiding excessive amounts of fat and sugar. That’s similar to what’s recommended for the general population.

Complete article: https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.c...ression-study/

Hi Marco. Thanks for posting. I know people without MS can have MRI Flair lesions, sometimes vascular related.

I was having a little trouble comprehending. Does the study mean the participants who ate healthy had less MS related brain lesions (based on locations) or just in general, had less lesions? Any idea?

Thanks,
    Kathy
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
      Does the study mean the participants who ate healthy had less MS related brain lesions (based on locations) or just in general, had less lesions? Any idea?
      Kathy,
      Interestingly enough, the study showed evidence that diet quality may have a role in reducing MS lesions in, and only in, the periventricular. MRI didn't show a lesion reduction in any other brain area.

I hope that helps.
      Marco

Comment

Thanks Marco. Pretty much. I wasn't sure if they knew for sure less MS specific lesions or just less brain lesions.
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
        X